Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please remember, there's no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people....er, that being said:

What is that black knob on the triple clamp of older bikes?
(I'd post a picture, but I'm the only 27 yr old who doesn't know how to do that crap, and I've seen plenty, so some of you know what I'm talking about w/o seeing a pic.)

Guffaw all you want, but I'm lost here. Btw, I'm 6'0" 170.....

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
If you're referring to the black knob you sometimes see on the pivot - it's usually just a "finial". Unless it goes to a friction steering-damper.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Back when bikes' handling was pretty flaky and had loads of headshake problems these adjustable friction dampers were installed so you could tighten up the steering while on the freeway and then loosen it when in town. Yes, they were just as mickey mouse as that sounds.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
I thought it was a directional cruise control!?

Set it and the throttle lock, and you could sit back and read the paper...

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
It's so you can pour oil on the frame of old Triumphs...dampens vibration and keeps the frame from rusting.....

6ft. 360...kinda' like a bald Russel Crowe except with a beer gut and a massive schlonger....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.