Motorcycle Forums banner
181 - 195 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Definitely NOT correct IME...

I've owned 4 Harleys (don't own one now) and can only say your friends must have paid way too much for their bikes and taken way too little care of them if they only got 2/3 of it back. Miles do NOT hurt them unless the miles are hugely excessive for the age of the bike --it's condition condition condition that counts if you want top dollar for it!!!

You ARE right about the extras though. Nobody gets their money back on those. IF you buy a new Harley right (that means somewhere near MSRP which is possible --anybody who says it isn't is an impulse buyer) AND you keep it as *stock* and as *pristine* as possible, then you don't have to worry about miles and you CAN get MORE than you paid when you sell it. I know because I've done it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Re: One day, and it won

It's the right decision for him if he's got plenty of money and the bike makes him happy. But I agree on the investment thing. While IMO it's absolutely certain to hold value better than a VTX (based on MSRP, not MSRP+"vaseline tax") the "you'll get your money back" bromide is exactly how certain dealers justify asking ridiculous prices that a lot of bozos on the dike have already paid. But it would seem there's an endless supply of them, not Harleys.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Well...

with the busa and gsxr1000's peak output, they can't NOT have a lot of low end, unless that peak output were at 20,000 rpm or more. "Tuning for midrange" is really more a matter of moving the peaks around for more low end response (usually resulting in detuning), but big peak power has to come from torque. I don't consider the ZRX's motor at all impressive from an engineering standpoint, which I think is a good thing. I'd rather have a motorcycle that's not tweaked and gets it's power from displacement (structural reserve). I'd rather have the bandit with the bandit's motor. 110hp from a muffler change, 120 hp with a full pipe and jetting. Go get some gixxer cams for your bad self, it's all there. I like the gixxer 1000, I'm just afraid of balance shafts that spin at double crank speed, and why bleed green if you don't have to?

·
Registered
282 Posts
It's OLD, fortunately.

It's easy to work on, even easier than a Harley. Adjusting valves is like reaching down and scratching something. And it'll go 300,000 miles with nothing more than a top end job which may or may not be needed depending on what kind of miles they are. And you can still rebuild it after that. It's the only thing with reliability, user maintainability, and true durability (it will last forever). This is a bike for people that don't think bikes are just weekend toys (to pose on, OR to wheelie on), so don't knock it. Someone's gotta make a bike that's real transportation you can depend on and live with.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm glad you're so excited about the new H-D product. But what's up with the "boat anchor" comment? I have 50,000 trouble free miles on my "boat anchor", and 13,000 trouble free (no leaks, either) on my street/strip Sporty. Two of the guys I ride with own GSXRs, nice bikes, good power, and after the last dyno shoot-out, they're scratching their heads and wondering how my "boat anchor" did so well. Sure, they can out-corner me, but in the ¼ mile there ain't too many corners. My engine is no more of an anchor than your bike is a "plastic sewing machine". By the way, have you ever seen the way barnacles cling to the side of a boat? I guess there isn't a great need for intelligence to hang on to a piece of plastic and wait for someone to scrape you off of it...but I digress. (can't we all just get along?) Anyway, I don't think H-D "woke up". I don't even consider it progress. It's an attempt to gain new customers. Ah, capitalism at work. People don't consider low weight when buying a Harley. And I happen to think the looks are "killer". A McLaren F-1 is killer...so is a vintage Corvette. They both turn heads, for different reasons. Tell ya what, get your windex out, wipe off the fiberglass and carbon-fiber. I'll polish my chrome and wax my paint. Then we'll take a ride together and have a beer. I bet we'll both be smiling at the end of the day. That's all that really counts, isn't it?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re: Dyno Chart, V-Rod Style, Why I bought one!

I think it is great that Honda just brought out the biggest, baddest "Harley" -- an now -- Harley brings out the the ripping, baddest "Honda". It realy is a small world!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Re: Definitely NOT correct IME...

The problem is they traded the bikes in. Which means they got screwed by the dealer. They should have sold the bikes outright, and then used the money to buy the new bike. You always get screwed on a bike tradein. Check the difference between the NADA values, which are used for trade ins, and the Kelly Blue Book, which are used when they're trying to sell to you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Lime , Good points; The second hand die-hards and all.What will this bike do with the normal hopups? If it could move the numbers up 10% or so it would be in Vmax territory. It needs clip ons and rear sets . I like that Screamin' Eagle drag Vrod. I can't get used to those forward control floor boards!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re: Dyno Chart, V-Rod Style, Why I bought one!

Nuff RESPECT! Same reason why people buy Ferrari's! Plus there's the exclusivity factor. There are enough John, **** and Harry's out there riding sportbikes! I've always wanted to get my license and buy a bike but always put it off. Ever since I saw the V-Rod, I told myself that this would be the bike! I know it's a lot of money but heck, I'll own a bike that I realy want!

anonymous squid

oh and by the way, I'm going for my license next month. By next summer, I'll be CRUISIN'!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re: It would seem you are a Honda fanatic

I think all performance bikes would suffer under the truly harsh reality of stop/go commuting, why commute on a RC51? or a Buell? These are open road machines, and designed as such. It is foolish, an RC51 is a race replica, get a Honda CB250. Save some $$$ for your weekend blasts on the RC51.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Re: Amazing!? Why?

V-max? You want to challenge the V-max? Like most you are not aware that the max is easlily modified (almost no bucks) to handle much better than any V-rod. The straights? You know that answer and thats with a stock max. Give both the rod and max 1K worth of mods the max is even that much more ahead of the rod. Poor rod. Even with German engineering (engine) it can't hang with the 85 design V-Max. That's got to be embarrassing!!!

Maxriderdon

·
Registered
323 Posts
Re: Oh, We're an Expert in Moto-Economics, Are We?

Harley Davidson's top owners and staff just love people like you just like the same of Amway and the like love all those people just signing up. 200 million bucks designing any motorcycle engine is hilarious. Be glad of the imports without them you would even pay more and prob do it thinking are getting a good deal. Where did common sense go?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Re: VTX = More and less...

I am not a Harley fan. I never even conceived owning a Harley. They all seem like lawn mowers to me. That was until I saw the V-Rod. Still skeptical I went (on my R1) to several of my cruiser friends and tried them all. To me, instinct said V-Rod and bought one. Fact is, two days ago, while cruising around town (and as often happens with this bike; everyone wants a piece of you) some guy on a VTX started to get funny making loud noises (very loud) and stoplight burnouts (like 954 guys do with the R1). I was really thinking he was going to beat my stock V-Rod (except K&N and octane booster, ha also had a K&N filter) because I knew the VTX was fast in truly stock trim. Same thing happened as when I raced stock vs. stock before buying. We raced the streets for about half an hour, wide open on the freeway, from stoplights, rolling at 20 or 30 or 40 or 50 mph, many times. If I was in front he never could catch up. If he jumped in front, once up to revs, I not so slowly caught up then passed him by; repeatedly. I do this just for fun. I do not care about Jap or US made. I just care if it can give me a facial and light my hair on fire by being fast and inducing extreme tachycardia. The V-Rod is the only bike I ever bought because how great it looks (I still go out with a dirty bike any day, I am not really a Harley fan) but it really has proven itself the best on the road, out in the real world.

181 - 195 of 195 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.