Motorcycle Forums banner
41 - 60 of 86 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
I've done it before and will do it again. I bought a FXR after my wife and I had a couple of kids. Needed to slow down and enjoy the ride a bit more. Then I got a Fatboy because I couldn't get the image out of my head of the '90 model in silver with yellow spark-plug wires.

Then I realized I had a $17,000 bike that didn't allow me to enjoy the roads I loved to ride on the weekends. So I put a VFR and a DR650 in the garage and the Fatboy sat until sold.

Now I'm thinking, do I pick up a police RK or a Street Bob. I'd really like to tour on the road king for a while.

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
Well you are in the GPTB...so this doesn't surprise me.. Is it true if you have an Harley you become part of the inner circle? i..e you get to use Buz's hot tub.

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
I've never seen any comment on the ABS on the police rk. Any info if it works?

My buddy is still trying to unload that spotless rk classic with no luck. $24,000 and 1600 miles and can't get $15.5

·
Registered
233 Posts
I'll probably get a couple more years out of my KLR. Its all I need really. A fine bike except for the emergency brakes. At my age, though, its best not to put off new acquisitions too long. I may keep the KLR and just add a supermoto to the stable. The KTM 950 SM seems like more than would be necessary. No wind protection so you can't make use of its top speed even if so inclined. Better to shave off a hundred pounds and go with a 600 class SM imo.

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
ah Ha

Really.... Hmmm Are the days of Harley high resale value over?.. That would be a positive leading indicator validating kpaul's, the GMP, predictions that the market for HDs has peaked.... Thanks for the info.. I'll am thinking about creating a new kPPI, kPPI 2.0, which has cost of ownership factor, resale factor, service intervals. etc...

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've got an 03 Warrior. Isn't it a great bike? I almost bought an 03 Softail standard, but the dealer wanted stupid money for a mandatory anniversary gold key package or some crap. Then I saw the Warrior at the Cycle World bike show....Ahhh, just right. Or at least after new pipes, it was.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Re: ah Ha

Resale values for Hd are becoming more reasonable....as EVERYBODY who watches such things has been predicting. You cant sell 300 plus k units a year and used values keep astronomical. its probable that new bike sales will start to taper off a little....again as MANY people have been predicting. of course we've been predicting this for 5 years so we've been wrong so far. This is far from the Harley collapse that YOu have been predicting. Also, the reasons are very different than what you have theorized.....its not due to poor quality or antiquated engines or declining cruiser popularity in favor of naked sport bikes.. The major immediate challenge harley faces is the proliferation of CHEAPER metric cruisers.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,719 Posts

I think one of the biggest factors in resale value tanking is that the '07's are EFI 96 inchers with 6 speeds. Who is going to spend $15k on a used 88 inch 5 speed when they can get a factory 96 incher, with a rebate which Skagit Harley among others is offering and very attractive financing terms through Harley Credit on new vehicles?

Don't need to be a self proclaimed prophet to figure that one out.

·
Banned
3,775 Posts

Interesting. Sounds logical to me..... Probably another last hurrah for the V-Twin thing :) i.e. making a bigger engine is only a stop gap..

·
Registered
730 Posts

I agree,this is a significant factor. But market saturation is also a player. Harley is still very strong,but the amazing growth of the last 10 years will be hard to sustain. By the way,I dont think resale value is "tanking". It'ss just dropping to reasonable levels, still higher than cometitors' resale values.

·
Registered
730 Posts

Well,Ive only been predicting it since 2003. LOL. I thought sales would level after the anniversary bulge but ive been proven wrong. Now im expecting a leveling off if not a slight drop due to the metric cruiser craze, but Im probably wrong again. I wish I had kept my stock.....I bet KPAUL does too. Course if I had,Id be selling it now and I'd probably be crying in a couple years when my leveling off prediction turns out to be wrong. LOL

·
Banned
3,775 Posts

"I bet KPAUL does too. "

Yep sure do.. You make an excellent point but the metric cruiser craze... I also made the same prediction about SUVs i.e. the market was topping off and then the whole crossover thing started etc. I thought gas prices was going to end SUVs then the hybrid came along. My wife calls me the Great Myopic Prophet

41 - 60 of 86 Posts