Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jeez, I didn't know your oysters had legs?(crustaceans)The oysters here in oregon don't have legs, although my wife says they do because she swallowed one once and it kept trying to come back up. Great writing!Keep it coming.

·
Banned
2,452 Posts
Nice Review

My college girl friend and I spent some quality time on school break in that area once. She loved Northern California so much after that, she went to Med school dumped me and became a M.D. (Internal Medicine) in that area. Good story. Hope to be back through there on my way to the great Buell Blast show down with Buz, Seruzawa, and Longride at Laguna Seca. I call it the IROM , Internation Race of Morons, MO's verison of the IROC.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Ah, me old stompin' grounds! It's nice to see pics of the roads I grew up on, automobilically speaking. There are lots and lots of other options EBass didn't mention, too. A great riding area, as long as you don't push too hard. Nice write-up, EB!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ahh, now you're talking about my home turf! Beautiful loop you chose...though not the best riding roads around, necessarily.

As for the people at the Alpine Lake dam: no, we North Bay types aren't so hokie that a dam excites us so--that's a big hiking trailhead area. Cascade Trail heads up from the big, right-hand hairpin...climbs up, up, up for about 2 miles, passing waterfall after waterfall after waterfall on the way.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Myrtlewood Hand Grips

Love the article, but won't be happy until eBass does a journalistic ride up to Coos Bay, Oregon and installs a pair of hand-carved myrtlewood hand grips on his Road King.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Yossef does Benelli 1130 TNT Naked?

When is Yossef going to pack is girlfriend's g-string (although we all suspect it is really Yossef's attire that he's utilizing in a tactil way to bring new meaning to the term "seat-of-the-pants" riding or he's really a G-String Diva) and plant his arse on the new Benelli 1130 TNT naked for a MO-RE-VU? Also can Yossef please equip his canine, Roadkill Kippie, with the camcorder backpack harness so that he can leap out of the hairpin turns to record the tire scrub? Yossef will have a place to pack a year's worth of g-strings as panniers will be a Benelli factory option. Ride Yossef, ride!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Every year I visit my sister in Belmont, then travel up to visit friends in Sebastapol. I've driven up from the SFO airport with a rented auto, passing through the very towns you've described.

I've always wondered what the back roads would hold. Now I have a better idea.

Every time I return home, I contemplate renting a Glide on my next trip and take the coast up to Sebastapol.

After this article, I may finally take the plunge and spend the bucks.

Thank you for a very picturesque story.

although.. maybe an R6 would be better!!

·
Registered
579 Posts
Yeah yeah, whatever....

Say boys, it's dang near May and I don't see a litre bike shootout.

In fact, I haven't heard crap about the litre backs since the first impression articles. Once in a blue moon 3 manufactures have redesigns in the class that are this significant.

A little frickin' coverage would be nice.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Ok, here goes. The Kwak is the meanest of them all, wild power everywhere, extremely small, all in all a bit too much for the street. Way too much actually. As an option a tank for your brain can be fitted for after the accident (for the ALLCAPS types).

The Honda is the most planted, but it doesn't feel half as fast, even though you may actually go fastest on it. It's ugly though, not very comfortable, even relatively speaking, and it has a bad gearbox.

The GSXR is the most suitable for the street, most useable power and it's actually the most comfortable as well (relatively speaking), but it's last year's news and ugly too.

Finally the R1. It's overstyled to a rather tasteless spaceship like contraption, but most people actually think that's good thing. It is the most rounded package. Needs to be revved though, relatively speaking.

All in all, there's a bit of a dichometry in the four bikes. One the one hand we have the R1 and the GSXR which are clearly more comfortable than the other two. Yet the GSXR and the CBRRR are the most userfriendly on the street, the GSXR has the most useful torque, the CBRR is the most planted bike.

Conclusion: none of these bikes even remotely appeal to me.

Some random objections:

1. You can't even legally run any of them through the first gear on the street, let alone the other five

2. You need a chiropractor on the passenger seat to make rides of longer than 30 minutes possible

3. Realistically, no one would ever want to be your passenger (chiropractors aren't crazy, what were you thinking)

If you have get one of them, get the ZX10R, at least it has the highest poser value and it looks better than the others.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Re: Open Class Shootout

The ambitious open class shootout that MO is preparing will exceed, by a wide margin, what's been done here before. It will also exceed that of any of the print mags if it proceeds along the trajectory it was taking when I last took a peek. Sean and Fonzie are working hard on this as we speak. It will have been worth the wait when you see it.

No magazine editor ever worked as hard or overcame as many obstacles as Sean Alexander did in putting together this year's shootout but the resulting piece will be a keeper. I'm not saying that you won't be disappointed because, truthfully, at least from these posts, you sound like a pain in the butt, but most everyone else will like it a lot I think.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.