Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I think the motor or transmission will tell you when it's time to rebuild. I have owned a Honda Civic and and Acura Integra that both had well over 200k on them when they were traded in, and they both still ran fine. They were long haul miles, and I think that is part of the secret, along with good maintenance, and frequent oil changes. Your engine will probably just get more and more 'tired' as time goes on-- it will lose a little snap to it's accelaration, or gear noise will increase, somthing like that. A complete rebuild could turn out to not be cost effective, however. You will just have to asses how much the rebuild is going to cost and measure it against getting something much newer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a '98 Honda ACE with 99,000 miles and a '04 V-Strom with 91,000. Both still run great and neither use any oil. Is 200,000 possible? I think so.

Get the compression tested. That will tell you a much.

·
Registered
145 Posts
When to rebuild anhd engine isn't so much a mater of mileage, as it is maintenance and usage over it's life. Modern engines are made of very high quality materials, to much better manufacturing standards than in the past, so if' you're diligent in maintaining the oil health, and don't beat the crap out of it regularly, the engine could go into the high 100,000 miles range before giving the signals that it needed freshening.

·
Registered
157 Posts
First, you would probably want topost this question to the VROC main board. You'll probably get a more informed answer. http://www.vroc.org. Secondly, 1500/1600 kawasaki engines can have 2 issues. pre-2000 models have a plastic oil gear that usually fails. The other thing are the cam chain tensioners. I know of people that got over 90k out of their Nomads, and I know of on eguy that has well over 100K out of his 800 Classic. I say run it until it starts burning oil.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Just before a rod ends up sticking out of the crank case is the best time to rebuild....

88 HD E-Glide 195,000 miles

00 BMW K1200LT 105,000 miles

03 HD Eglide 56,000 miles

None there yet, but 88 is close and the 03 will probably be long gone from my garage before then...the 00? It's a beemer, 200K before I ever start worrying.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
I can tell you first thing that you should put any thought of "rebuilding" a Japanese motorcycle out of your mind. The costs of internal engine parts are so astronomical that you would be wasting your time. From experience I'd guess that a full rebuild could cost you $2000. A new set of pistons and rings alone is $300 for a Nomad! Intake valves $31 ea, exh valves $46ea, guide $15! So far you'd be into it $500 and there's more parts than that needed for just the top end. I can get a set of excellent forged pistons (8)for a freaking 350 small block for less than the Nomad's! Then you've got to have a machine shop pull the crankshaft apart to replace the bearing amongst other difficult procedures. By then the bike won't be worth much. Your main option would be to try to find a decent engine in a junkyard from a Nomad that had been crashed and had few miles on it. Those are very common... crashed bikes with low mileage.

The last thing on a motorcycle designer's mind is providing for rebuilds. The manufacturers don't want you to rebuild bikes they want you to buy a new one. Japanese bikes are purposefully built as throwaways. Japanese bikes have many virtues but extending life through rebuilds is not one of them.

Just ride it til it quits and then get another bike.

Better yet, sell it now while it's still worth something and get a Speed Triple.

·
Registered
78 Posts
BMW has different pins for mileage. One is the 250,000 mile pin. I have had several bikes with over 150,000 miles and scene several bikes with over 300,000. As long as you do the recommended services you should be fine for a long time.

Also, I am in no way mechanical. But several mechanics have told me that the "change the oil every 3,000" is pure bs. Just do what the factory recommends and you are fine. That is what I have always done and NEVER had a problem. I have mostly ridden Hondas, for whatever that is worth.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.