Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, this law will change the face of motorcycling eh?

I don't see it myself, maybe move the make-noise-look-at-me lamebrains that infest certain segments of our sport on to other activities, for the average motorcylist it's buisness as usual. Buy a bike, ride the wheels off it, rinse, repeat.

·
Registered
292 Posts
This is news? Check out this December 2003 press release from the EPA: http://www.epa.gov/otaq/regs/roadbike/420f03044.pdf

Also entertaining is this FAQ propaganda sheet released at the same time http://www.epa.gov/otaq/regs/roadbike/420f03045.pdf

So, are we surprised about another U.S. government infringement on the inalienable rights of the citizens? Unlike the Mr. Hubbard quoted in the article, I am confident that the Enviro-Nazis will enforce this law, much to the glee of the typical cage driver. I wonder how many times Mr. Hubbard has voted for a Republicrat, or not voted at all, thus ensuring the ultimate demise of the sport we all love.

One reason that I’m confident that these laws can and will be enforced is the minimal impact they will have on most Americans, or on most motorcyclists for that matter. As we know, most Americans don’t have a problem with someone else losing some of their rights.

In any event, the EPA hasn’t banned LOUD pipes, only stinky pipes. I’m sure that the aftermarket will spring up with many choices of obnoxiously loud pipes that meet EPA emissions requirements. And most manufacturers have been building bikes that meet the new requirements anyway. So forget the argument that compliance isn’t do-able, and stick with the one that the bloated, bureaucratic federal government should keep out of everybody’s business.

·
Registered
150 Posts
So does this mean they are actually going to start emissions testing bikes at inspection time like they do with cars?

As far as I can tell this is meaningless and unenforceable until they start emissions testing at inspection time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Granted nobody wants the government sticking their noses in our business; however lets be realistic about the impact of such a thing. I don't believe for one second that Daytona bike week will be ruined if a bunch of inconsiderate bikers can't have drag pipes roaring through the streets. Most people (myself included) don't want to have to cover their ears or wait for some obnoxious bike owner to go by before they can finish their conversation. And the guys that put these straight pipes on their bikes feel it is their God-given right to be as rude as they want to be. Everyone has and is entitled to their opinion - I just wish people would be a bit more considerate of others every once in a while.

·
Registered
152 Posts
great, now they will trade fuel economy for emisions. you would think that less fuel burned would be a good thing, but the epa seems all to eager to trade mpgs for cleaner exhaust, guess they think gas is clean right until it gets put in your tank.. me I would rather burn less gas.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Amen, brother. It's time for real motorcyclist to not be identified with the "make-noise-kook-at-me" bunch.

I've had two car drivers pass me (one a slick looking chick in a BMW convertable) and give me the thumbs up because of my stock Vulcan Nomad and dressed with high visibility vest over my Roadmaster jacket. Also, a little kid at a stop sign where I was pulling away took his hands away from his ears since he could not here what he had expected, namely a loud "blasting tractor" sound; i.e. a Harley hog. Our freedom as motorcyclist just improved since we are less likely to be associated with adult children on loud motorcyles. Hurah!!!!

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Didn't we just talk about this a week or so ago?

It's still a non-issue, except for possibly Big Dog and Confederate etc. The only way they can enforce this ne law is to have annual or semiannual testing of bikes emissions like they do for cars. And I don't see that happening any time soon.

HD, as far back as the '80s, installed these pointy little cams and lean carbs to meet emissions requirements in California. The mufflers are stamped with a tampering warning on them. But, I saw a shop in So. Cal modify a brand new bike for a customer with cam, carb and pipes even before he picked it up. It was just illegal then, but it didn't stop them.

Anyway, Harley's problem is they sell undersquare pushrod motors and can only increase power output by increasing displacement. So far, it works. One day they will issue a 3 liter motor to maintain their 65hp output.

Sport bikes are so well engineered that tampering or changing exhaust pipes often results in worst performance, so what's the point of doing that even now?

·
Registered
424 Posts
As a farmer and tractor owner, I resent that comparison! ;-)

As for the rest, I'm pretty guilty with past bikes. As for my current bike, the clutch makes more noise than the exhaust. (Loud Clutches Save Lives?)

Adult Children? Is there a 12 step program to help folks like me transition to stock exhausts?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Another regulation *sigh*

I don't mind tighter emissions standards, as long as they are not self defeating. If in getting those tighter emissions you reduce my acceleration, thus causing me to use more throttle to gain it back, the whole point is lost.

That said, I have a mega problem with them telling me I can only modify one bike in my lifetime. That is unreasonable and absurd. This is not to say I for ear-blasting pipe (that was noise laws are for) or cutting Cats (emissions go to the gutter for 3-5hp gain, pointless and wasteful) and the like, but I should have to ability to customize my ride (be it 2, 4, hell 6 wheels as long it is safe for the road and can meet their requirements.

I'm going to stop there. I can go on for several paragraphs, but I wouldn't even begin to describe how much the latter infuriates me.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
"I've had two car drivers pass me (one a slick looking chick in a BMW convertable) and give me the thumbs up because of my stock Vulcan Nomad and dressed with high visibility vest over my Roadmaster jacket."

Those guy was gay, and the chick threw up laughing. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Re: And they Haven't Made Any Fast Cars Since 1970

Emissions standards for motorcycles? Big friggin deal.

Back in the early '70s everybody said emissions standards would kill high-performance cars. It did, for as long as Detroit kept building cars by neanderthal standards of engineering.

But necessity is the mother of invention. As a result of those EPA standards, carmakers went full speed ahead in the areas of materials science and electronics, and today's high-performance cars kick the asses of the legendary cars of the sixties.

Motorcycles are just going to get better. Motorcycle aftermarket exhausts systems will be available -- including loud ones -- they just won't eliminate the emissions controls.

There are plenty of modified pickups, SUVs, Vettes, and Hondas blaring around with loud, emissions-legal exhaust systems these days.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a better idea regarding pipes and emissions. Let's start with the big tall ones that belch smoke from some of our industries. What idiots. How much of an emission problem could some bikes make in comparison to big industry. I'm not into bashing our industrial complex, but geez, where are the priorities here?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Maybe technology will come to the rescue, but even when I keep everything else stock, I've usually got to reject any new motorcycle (on or off road) I get to take care of the overly lean settings they are sold with. I'm not doing this for more horsepower - just running without backfiring on deceleration, sometimes easier starting, and curing the modern off road 4 strokes tendency to sput and die at low rpm (of course you can always ride your 450 at high rpm - at least until you kill yourself)

Seems like this law is going to make a bunch of us law breakers. It isn't about the noise with quite a few of us. We keep em quiet, but also like to make them run the way they ought to.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Where to begin? This is, of course, a "win/win" for the politicians. They can appear concerned and pro-active to their majority constituencies, while risking nothing, as the % of bikers in their districts is inconsequential. What of the bureaucrats who write and implement this bilge? They get to justify their jobs by writing reams of meaningless regulations that clarify nothing and resolve nothing, while assuring approval of their agencies inflated budget for next fiscal year. None of this Catch-22 mindlessness should come as a surprise to any of us. We've all watched from the side lines as this whirlpool descent into legislative chaos has evolved. Lewis Carroll could not have imagined it on this scale. Regrettably, many (motorcyclists included) have abetted the process in the naive belief that more and more intrusive government is the answer. The result is now an out of control legislative mania in which any issue, small or large, real or imagined, can be legislated into law by politicians who are either corrupt and/or easily intimidated by pressure groups. The founding fathers would no doubt look at what we've created and shake their heads in dismay. We've abandoned the fundamental belief in rational, limited government, serving the interests of what used to be an essentially self-reliant population. The subject under discussion here is merely a microcosm of a system wide affliction, in which not a single elected representative can rise up and state unequivically that he wishes to be measured by how little paper he produces, rather than by how much. The irony here is that my position, once considerd mainsteam, now exists only on the polar end of the political spectrum - considered by the current mainsteam of opinion as almost counter-revolutionary. Nevertheless, while cynical about this process, I remain completely optimistic about motorcycle industry capabilities in finding technically innovative end runs around the dunderheads we've empowered to run (ruin) our lives, with regard to performance, sound, and yes, even emissions compliance, whether necessary or not. Keep the faith, bros!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.