Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first!!!!!!!!!!!

What looks good on the surface has flaws throughout underneath..

The Euro weenies are trying to make licensing harder not safer. The Brits have the system right.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have mixed emotions about these regulations possibly making their way over here. Though I didn't really plan it this way, at 43 y.o. and riding 28 years I am riding my first over 1000 cc. bike. Started on an XL 100 at 15 and steadily got a little more motorcycle each of the 10 or so bikes since then. It has worked for me so far but I like to think I am more mature also.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I don't see tiered licensing happening over here. Motorcycling in the US isn't for transportation, it's for recreation. We don't impact society in any significant way. Now, if we had a national healthcare program that was paid for out of taxpayer dollars then the burden to the healthcare system might draw attention.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yet it is okay for a 16 year old to drive moms Hummer?

The whole idea of restricting what an adult can do makes my head hurt. I don't think it is really right that the drinking age is 21 in the US. If you can join the military, sign a contract, go to real prison, and or get married what right does the government have to say you can't buy a drink or ride a motor cycle.

I am way over 25 and don't drink at all but things like this really bother me. Maybe it is because I am live in Florida and see too many 80 year olds running people down. Yes in a parking lot near my office an 80 year old ran over a mother and two kids!

Motorcycles don't tend to kill anyone that isn't ridding them. Fix the car system first since they are more dangerous.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Re: The Brits have it right!

Agreed, the Brit system does have the best numbers...go with a system that works. Let each state set requirements. The MSF can work with EACH STATE if the MSF wants a piece of the pie. Absolutely NO NATIONAL STANDARDS...minimizes the inevitable influence peddling!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'd have to say that most inexperienced riders shouldn't be able to buy a 600cc sportbike much less a big bike( including a 700lb cruiser). I have a 15 yr old son and can't wait to help him get a street bike. I know it won't be a repli-racer of any kind. I'm planning on starting him out on a DR-Z400SM. It's a great learning bike. I'm all about sportbikes but feel too many young people shouldn't be "learning" the road on these very fast bikes. I don't have any quick answers but I would agree to any Reasonable plan of graduated liscense program. I'm sure it would save a few lives and a whole lot of pain.

·
Registered
89 Posts
It's none of my business or the business of my government to keep people from killing themselves. A bike rider - inexperienced, drunk, high, or whatever - is a danger almost exclusively to himself. On the other hand that soccer mom in the SUV with a cel phone in her ear...

If graduated licensing were used to make the streets safer they'd make everybody ride a motorcycle for 3yrs before they could drive a car. We wouldn't have many inattentive drivers then.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
How, pray tell, do they think they are going to enforce such a law? I don't think you can tell how old someone is going the other way, wearing a helmet, and hopefully other gear. My guess is, that if you can find someone old enough to be the official "owner" of a bike you fancy, you would have to be a damn fool to ever get popped. Cops have better things to do. Don't they?

·
Registered
86 Posts
I don't want ANYTHING from the corrupt euro nanny-state in America. Nothing! Europe is in terminal decline. It has no future whatsoever. Emulating their government-by-elites system would be a profound mistake.

We are going to have to fight the EPA as well. If they could, they would destroy motorcycling as we know it and find much satisfaction in doing so. Under the banner of moral superiority... the religion of environmentalism.

·
Registered
352 Posts
one word - LAME!

We don't need more arbitrary crap laws in our lovely 'free world' what we need is people that take resposibility for themselves! People with brains!

You can't legislate away stupidity.

I find it pretty F***'n hillarious that people that ride motorcycles are considered such a danger that we need a graduated licence system, yet people that drive cars don't when it's pretty ovious the car is much more dangrous to everyone except the driver.

And don't even say we should have graduated licence system to protect motorcyclist from themselves. It's NOT the laws place to protect us from ourselves. Just look all the states that don't require helemts.

Your trying to tell me we should think about having a graduated licence system when we don't even have helemt laws in all the states?

21, 24... screw that you should be able to get whatever you want by the time you can get drafted into the army. Who comes up with these BS arbitrary ages??

·
Registered
352 Posts
Start dirty.

Do your son a favor, start him off with a dirt bike. When he is sufficent in the dirt he will be much better prepared for the street.

·
Registered
208 Posts
...and to complete our nirvana, we must surrender our bikes (the "means" of motorcycling) to the govt for redistribution according to our abilities/needs. No need to worry, the govt will surely whither away once we to love each other...

·
Registered
233 Posts
Re: Euro Licensing Model---Proposed EPA Restrictions

I'll be waiting to hear about those dangerously restrictive EPA regulations.. I mean the gang we've got in Washington now wants to drill for oil in pristine national parks--hard to imagine them doing anything to step on any industry toes, even the MC industry. Hell, were even free to eat tainted meat with this crew in charge.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Government-by-elites...hmmmm...something about that sounds familiar....

It's all collectivism, even here. "Do it for the children." "Do it for the country/nation/people/Volk". "Do it for the poor." "Do it for(insert your favorite deity here)." And if ya don't, we'll come after your money! H3ll, we'll come after that anyway!

·
Registered
323 Posts
You live in Americuh, the land of less than 10% union jobs, offshoring, tax evasion, purchased elections and corporate corruption ... and that also sports the biggest gap between rich and poor in the world. I think the closet commies from Europe are the last people you need to worry about.

Welcome to the United States of Wal-Mart is more like it.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Fighting the EPA is easy; Reagan more or less killed it in the 80s.

Besides, "destroying motorcycling as we know it" is a bit of hyperbole. Fuels will change, so the internal combustion engine will change or even disappear, but that doesn't mean motorcycling will stop altogether. Or is it that you are so tied to the vroom-vroom that you wouldn't ride a motorcycle that might be more or less silent? In the end, it doesn't matter what comes out of the tailpipe (water or normal exhaust) as long as you butt is in the saddle, right?

·
Registered
480 Posts
I have worked in the federal government since 1994 and all I can say is NO.NO.NO.!!!you don,t want this,whateversounds nice on paper,by the time the oligarchy gets thru with it,it will look like nothing it started out as,will be laden with all sorts of superfluous ancillary ideas[i.e pork],and cost tax dollars to implement! I know of what I speak.Just more chipping away of our illusions of freedom in a " free society"[hah!]

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.