Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Since Aerobooks is right around the corner from the house, I'll have to dazzle the crowd with CL 350 burnouts, wheelies and stoppies.

And maybe they can show me how to get more power out of the Valmobile.

Wow, thanks for the info!

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
I showed up at Aerobooks around 1300 Saturday to see what was up.

There were a few highly polished sport bikes parked out front, with their highly polished (and posing) sport bike riders. I think I saw Ebass's Vrod, but no EBASS.

I tried to start a conversation with a few of the riders. But we didn't seem to be speaking the same language. Showing up on a DT1 didn't help much, I guess.

For me, the neatest bike there was some street legal 650 Rotax/Clewes framed dirt track bike, leaning up against Aerobook's wall.

The rider was pretty cool too. He did a big power wheelie down Magnolia when a left, a very brave thing to do in beautiful downtown Burbank.

So I went home, ate lunch and came back around 1500, this time on the CL350. Now a snack table was set up. A few more bikes were parked, all in perfect order; forks turned the same way, helmets on the sidewalk. The Vrod was gone. A few riders were milling around the Graves R1, so I made my way to the snack table, and helped myself to some chips & dip.

Again, I tried to start a conversation with some twit wearing a wimpy blond goatee; it went something like this.

Me: (Munch crunch) Neat R1. Is that your Suzuki? (As I pointed with a chip to some trick Gixxer I saw this guy step off of a few minutes before.)

Mr. Goatee: Grunt. (Turned and walked away.)

Me: ?!?!

I stood around for a couple more minutes, feeling very out of place, and mildly pissed off.

So when I left, I hooked a big wheelie on the CL, and promptly got a major ticket by one of Burbank's finest. Ouch. That hurt.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Or a 441.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
...and in order to get that big ticket, a few minutes before I had to take the CL's right hand floatbowl off, drain the float, solder the hole closed, and button it back up. All to get screwed by the BPD.

See, the float sunk about 10 minutes before, on my trip to Santoro's to get a large pastrami hoagie. I thought "Well if they didn't dig the old 250 Yamaha Enduro, maybe they'll like the CL." The things I do to impress prople...

Were you there? I saw someone on a BMW dualie leaving as I drove up, thought it might be you. You own a GS, right?

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Ah hell, I enjoyed myself. Anywhere there is a bunch of nice bikes and free food can't be all that bad, eh?

Did you check out that guy's street legal short track Clews Rotax? Man, I was drooling all over it.

I asked a few riders/bystanders where the author was, but no one answered back. Not a peep. Even the counter dude gave me the fish eye. I guess inside was where all the action was. I did buy a "Cycle World Honda Tests 1968-1971" coffee table book, so the trip wasn't a total loss. Sorry we didn't get to talk.

Hope your book does well.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
I've got a copper tank 1971 DT1F 250MX, a 1969 (Gold) DT1C, and a fast orange 1972 DT2 (DT1F) 250 Enduro (my vintage racer). Last year for the real Yamaha enduro was 1973. After that they got kinda portly and lost the flywheel.

Believe it or not, someone gave me the MX, and I got the '69 Enduro from the original owner for $400.00. Like new, just needed a top end.

The '72 is all tricked out with WP shocks, Noleen modified damper rods, ported, pipe by EC Birt and 32mm GYT Kit carb. Street legal too.

Ah yes the '71 RT1 360, black with red stripes. I still have scars on my right shin from when it would kick back and blown my ankle into a thousand pieces.

Memories...memories...

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
After I knocked over the display sign for the 1/4 midget with my ratty Bell Star, I think the staff had their eye on me.

Funny you should mention that, but after the bike cop nailed me, sure enough, two prowl cars showed up, to do nothing other than to make me nervous. Slow crime day, I guess.

I then started fumbling with the wad of insurance documents for the myriad of street legal bikes I ride. "Lets see, this one is for the CB350, no, the Kawasaki, and this one is for the 250, and this one's..." The cop was not amused.

There goes my $$$ for the new arm chaps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts