Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The following exerpt was taken from Pete Brissette's 2007 Kawasaki ZX-6R review...

"I'll admit, I've been expecting some not-too-distant future where an event horizon appears -- like a 200 horsepower street-legal sportbike -- signaling the inevitable end of the ability for anyone with a motorcycle endorsement on their license, regardless of how long they've been licensed -- to waltz into any dealer and ride away. Maybe I'm a touch paranoid. Nevertheless, I know I'm not the only one with such concerns, however irrational".

Yes Pete you are not the only one with a "touch" of paranoid concerns that border on the irrational side of things. I gathered from the paragraphs that preceeded and followed the one listed above you were indeed making a point as to the ZX-6R's good manners. However, I think your statements carried a doubled edged sword if you will. The increasing number of young men killed, injured or maimed on sportbikes is alarming to me. This is not to say that I'm against the technology we have available to us today. In my mind the factory production rule in roadracing and MX was and is the greatest thing that happened to us, the consumer. When I think of what we rode back in the 70's I get a ear to ear smile as I stroll through todays showrooms. The point is, if enough of us get killed or injured out there the insurance companies and/or lawmakers will put the hammer on us in some way shape or form. And that you can take to the bank.

Brad Kizer

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
Sounds good Brad, but unfortunately the statistics don't show an "increasing number of young men killed..." Take a close look at the statistics in the IIHS study. The link is in the "Safest Bike on the Road" thread. The net number of deaths on sportbikes is going DOWN. Touring bike deaths are going UP.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Even if it were true, the number of deaths due to motorcycling is a drop in the bucket compared to other causes.

People who do not ride would have us believe it is more dangerous than it is. I do not think that riding is without risk, but I believe the non-riding public overrates the risk because of fear and ignorance.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Maybe

Even if it were true, the number of deaths due to motorcycling is a drop in the bucket compared to other causes.

People who do not ride would have us believe it is more dangerous than it is. I do not think that riding is without risk, but I believe the non-riding public overrates the risk because of fear and ignorance.
But the fact is that elections are coming up and politicians love to be perceived as "doing something".

They misrepresent everything else they legislate. Why should we expect to be immune?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
IIHS Report

I should have mentioned that my statements were not motivated by statistics but only by what I have seen and heard on our local news channels. We have a large contingent of riders here in Ohio. Possibly when it all averages out nationwide it's not as bad (statistically speaking) as it seems. I drive truck in Ohio and Michigan and have seen more bike accidents in the last two years than I care to think about. Sadly most were young sportbike riders-the reason behind my initial post. Again, I am in no way throwing down on sportbikes or young riders. Young riders are the future of our sport!!! I just want them to see a little gray hair and be around to teach their kids/grand kids to ride before they check out:)

Kenneth, thank you for directing me to the "safest bike on the road" thread. After reading the IIHS report, it appears that the insurance propaganda machine is running at full speed. This type of report is exactly what I am afraid of. Some lawmaker who lost a loved one or close friend in a bike accident would have a field day with this informatation.

As for the helmet issue, I wear mine. What everybody else does is their business. Pardon the pun but, "My dog ain't in that fight".

One more thing, I'm 50 and I wasn't reading Pete's review of the 2007 ZX-6R for fun if you get my drift..

Brad

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.