Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Administrator
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Original Article:
"Everything You Need To Know About Streetbikes" Book Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article "Everything You Need To Know About Streetbikes" Book Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Wait a moment, I am no dummy! I am a Complete Idiot! Would you believe the Complete Idiot's Guide to Motorcycles is now on it's third edition?

The mind swoons at the sheer number of idiots (idioti?) that represents. I did read the second edition of that book. Of course, I am not a complete idiot. I borrowed it from the local library.

Booyah!

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
All well and good but does the book go over field expediencies like using copper wire as a helicoil in an RD350 so you can get home? Huh? Does it have stuff like that?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Nah, that was covered in detail in FM 55-30 Army Transport Units and Operations, and was touched upon in STANAG 2067 Control and Return of Stragglers.

Seruzawa, I do wonder. How do you stand being such a tactical badass mofo? How do you DO it???

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
Are you serious? There really is a "Complete Idiot's Guide to Motorcycles?" Where has that been all my life?
Yes. Look up "Darwin Holmstrom" author...........

·
Registered
274 Posts
I am still geeking out about that copper-in-the-place-of-helicoil trick.

I wish I didn't know what a helicoil is. That brief moment of innocence... a bolt tightened just a tad too far- and WHAM innocence lost. No longer will the term "stripped" bring up "strippers" in the old mental rolodex. NO, now it means money. Pain. Spilled fluids.

Hmmm....

I got to go lay down.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Don't blame me...

Nah, that was covered in detail in FM 55-30 Army Transport Units and Operations, and was touched upon in STANAG 2067 Control and Return of Stragglers.

Seruzawa, I do wonder. How do you stand being such a tactical badass mofo? How do you DO it???
...blame Uncle Sam. I spent a year as a member of Genghis Khan's hordes. They trained me. Now they get to suffer the consequences. In fact, ALL OF YOU DO!

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
THAT'll Pyss you Off..........

·
Registered
274 Posts
Genghis Khan's hordes...sounds familiar. You weren't one of those referenced in that laughable Kerry Kongressional Konfession were you?

If that is the case then I won't hold your uber-tactical nature against ya. It can't be easy being a government trained babykilling villageburning sex machine. With wheels, no less.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
"Shrink, I wanna kiiiiill! I mean, I wanna, I wanna KIIIIILL!
I wanna, I wanna see, I wanna see bloodandgoreandguts and veins in my teeth!
I wanna eat dead burned bodies!
I mean kill!....Kill!.... KILL!....KILL!....
"

And I started jumpin up and down yellin' "KILL!.... KILL!.... KILL!...."

And he started jumpin up and down with me yellin' "KILL!.... KILL!.... KILL!...."

And we was both jumping up and down yelling, "KILL!.... KILL!.... KILL!...."

And the Seargent came over, pinned a medal on me,
sent me down the hall, said "You're our boy."

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Interesting. I just spent part of the morning working out with some recruiters.

Did you know you can earn $2000 for bringing in a new soldier to the Army?

Then, the new guy is eligible for almost $40k in signup bonuses, if he/she is at all on the ball? Also they have a new "no deploy" contract for the reserves.

Almost as good as the old British Navy "impress" gangs.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
See now, if you really want to put the Fear of God into the heathen hordes you have to do like the Reavers in Serenity...strap the dead bodies of your enemy onto your combat vehicles and aircraft. Probably only work on low-n-slows like A-10's or A-6's but the effect would be dramatic I'm sure

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Ummmm...

Also they have a new "no deploy" contract for the reserves.
... please explain to me what good it does to recruit reserves if you CAN'T USE THEM!

Is that like the millions of desert camo uniforms that the Army bought in the 80's that couldn't be used in Kuwait during Desert Shield/Storm because they were polyester instead of 100% cotton? They saved a lot of money buying them, though! When questioned the bureaucrat said that they never thought that the Army would actually need them so they bought the unusable cheaper ones.

There are an amazing number of levels of incompetence in that statement.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
Might be a little after your time, but I know Ms.Cuddy remembers the polyester Chiefs and Officers Khaki's the Nav came out with in the '70's? After a few of them went up like Roman Candles it occured to them that flamable material may not be the best option in an at-sea enviroment.....

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Might be a little after your time, but I know Ms.Cuddy remembers the polyester Chiefs and Officers Khaki's the Nav came out with in the '70's? After a few of them went up like Roman Candles it occured to them that flamable material may not be the best option in an at-sea enviroment.....
Somehow the thought of 70's era Chiefs and Officers dressed like Leisure Suit Larry just tickles my ribs. And seeing them go up like roman candles only ices the cake. I'd like to see Lt Stuber go up like a candle. He's the guy who used to sit in his office in Danang miles away from the action and radio us to "move in closer".

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
"You're letting them get awaaaayyy"....

'Bout the same as todays chickenhawks I guess, the more it changes the more it stays the same...

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
Interesting. I just spent part of the morning working out with some recruiters.

Did you know you can earn $2000 for bringing in a new soldier to the Army?

Then, the new guy is eligible for almost $40k in signup bonuses, if he/she is at all on the ball? Also they have a new "no deploy" contract for the reserves.

Almost as good as the old British Navy "impress" gangs.
I say we enlist my kid and split the $42k. Heck, he's almost 9, that's got to be close enough these days!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.