Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Snuggles
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man, financing a bike for 10 years...

My opnion, if the bikes are the same style, the mileage is close and you like them equally, I would alsways go newer.

But some of the posters here know a lot of the ins and outs of Harleys a bit better. So they might be able to offer more than I, so, good luck.

10 years. Ugh. I'm just thinking of all the interest that would have to be paid. Could probably buy four bikes on the interest alone.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just to put that one to bed cos I’m sure a lot of people will raise an eyebrow at that… having been divorced and fightin’ to see my kids for 5 years I’ve put up with more cr*p than anyone has a right to, literally livin hand to mouth for most of that time.. believe me, I lost the lot - including my sanity for a while! But, I’ve turned things round and now I have my own place and a few quid in my back pocket so I’m gonna get out and see some of this great continent (Europe I mean).. and rather than go back to being skint again for a few years , I’m gonna pay over longer and take the hit in interest. OK, sob story over, cheers for your advice!

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
Just wait until all the experts (who've never owned Harleys) show up to tell him how stupid he is for buying a Harley. Double ugh.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sorry, no help here. How does the ad go: "If you don't own one, you don't get it." I rode a Harley once, I didn't get it. Save your money, buy a decent bike. Same money, get a Beemer, better bike, will sell for more than you pay for it and you will WANT to keep it ten years! But most of all, it is a pleasure to ride, not a poser, you will ride more! Plus, they offer many different types of bikes, you will find one that fits your riding style.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Either will do fine...my 97 evo has been very reliable. The twin cam has a little more pop,less clutch pull,etc. and is probably the best buy if it has significantly less mileage,but if you buy either you should be ok. Remember,with Harleys good maintenance is key(as with all bikes I guess)....check maintenance records.

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
There are some clear differences between the engines. Essentially, the Evo engine has a much more efficient combustion chamber and head design, and can produce more horsepower and torque than the TC 88 for a given cylinder volume. However, the TC 88 has a better lifter design. The pushrods are straighter in relation to the valve actuators than the Evo, allowing higher revolutions. But, the chain drive that runs the twin cams is notoriously weak, and many performance builders replace it with an S&S gear drive system.

Forget about the year of the bike when you're buying a Harley. My 1977 FXS Low Rider is on the road almost every day, and I expect it to be for another 30 years. Focus on how close the bike meets your desires today in terms of accessories, colors, etc. Also consider that the aftermarket for Evos is huge! You have countless choices for upgrades both for the driveline and the chassis.

My call: Get the Evo and spend the difference on your first ride!

·
Registered
10,904 Posts
To me, the price sounds high on both but then I don't know what H-Ds go for over there.

The EVO is a fine motor but it's really not meant to be hopped up. If you plan on keeping it mostly stock (higher flow air filter and pipes) it should be fine. The EVO also has a more elegant old school look to it and is the last motor that can be traced back to the original Knuckle if that means anything to you.

The TC is much beefier and can accept lots of modifications. Your local dealer will probably know more about it. The young parts changers probably don't even know what an EVO is.

The chassis is the same on either bike so pick the one you really want. And grind 'em on the price a little too.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,719 Posts
I'd get the twin cam. It's a little more modern design that addressed the problems with the Evo's like base gasket leaks, revs higher and faster, seems to breathe easier. On the down side the cam bearings could be a weak spot in earlier TC's but the '02 should be sorted. I put 8 k on an '05 Dyna last winter and had no complaints or problems with the motor, power etc.

Either one should work if that's what you're after.

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
And there it is. The one post to which you should pay attention.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Y'know, the price looks OK to me.. you'd do well to get any big twin for less than £5,500 then you've gotta be a bit sus about why it's so cheap. Theyre both pretty low mileage - think the Evo has about 17K on it, the twin Cam less than 5K. Probably looks worse from over there cos of the exchange rate at the moment.

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
I vote for the twin cam. I like stock used bikes. Too many mods scare me about the bikes use by the previous owner. Mileage and condition is really the main issue to determine which price you like.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts