Motorcycle Forums banner
21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Not that Harley's are bad bikes but if you have to take out a 10 year loan for one wouldn't an inexpensive Honda , Kawasaki, or other good less expensive bike be a better choice?

If the goal is ride around Europe then even a KLR650 might be a good choice.

It just seems like a lot of debt to go into when you might not need to.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well, yeah ur right I could, and i know its a good argument and if i was 100% logical I'd go Japanese..but while KLRs etc etc are gr8 bikes and would do the job, they just dont push the same buttons big twins do.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Thanks for the useful advice!

·
Registered
277 Posts
If you're going to keep it literally for the rest of your life, then it doesn't matter which you go for, but if you're even THINKING that you might sell it again when you've finally paid for it, buy the twinkie. It's three years old now, and by the time you've paid for it it might be eight or nine: still saleable. But the Evo is ten years old this year, and by the time you've paid for it will be fifteen or more: hard to sell. But before you part with any money, ride BOTH of the ones you intend to buy, and be very, very picky. If either, or both, don't light your fire straight away, just park them and walk away - there are plenty of other bikes out there. Right now you're buying your fantasy, but when you get it home it'll just be a lump of metal, and you'll see all sorts of expensive things wrong with it that somehow escaped your notice in the shop. And work out how much it's going to cost you to get it the way you REALLY want it - HD aftermarket parts are plentiful, but cost plenty, too, on our side of the pond. That said, if it floats your boat, then go for it. My H-D was a heap of old iron when I bought it and isn't much better now, but I've kept it longer than any other bike I've owned in 35 years of biking so something in it must be right somewhere. Best of luck.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Did/Does the TC version of the Dyna have the beefier transmission mount?

I know the Evo Dynas (if you horsed the motor) needed the reinforcement plate on the right side. Stockers didn't seem to have a problem.

My '88 FXRS Low Rider had at least one leaking base gasket the whole 8 years I owned it. I loved that bike.

Not as much as my Triumph, though!

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
Go for it. You deserve it.

Hey your mental and physical health is more important than any thing else.. Yep you are going to take a hit on interest and HDs are expensive. But if thats your passion go for it. Buz and I agree I think that you should buy a bike you feel passionate about it. By the way my physical health turned around when I bought a bike. I am a diabetic and before I bought a bike I was having trouble controlling by glucose levels, blood pressure, weight etc. After I got my bike things got better... My mental outlook got a lot better... I still have setbacks from time to time but my bike is my escape. My doctor rides a Harley and he has plaque on his office wall that says "You don't see any motorcycles parked outside a shrinks office" He takes heat from his fellow doctors but he really helped me get my health back on track..

I don't know anything about Harley's but longride, Buz and seruzawa know a heck a lot. They would be the first guys I would ask.. If they don't have the answer they know people who do.

Have fun... You deserve to have a bike..

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
I actually think he should buy the bike (HD) that he feels passionate for.. See my other post.. on this thread..

I also think longride, Buz, and seruzawa are the guys to talk to on this topic. If I was going to buy an HD they would be the first guys I would talk to..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Re: Go for it. You deserve it.

Thanks my friend, kind words. I think thats the bottom line, when u've been there, it's like ur never gonna get out of it and now I am, I look at things VERY differently and having had plenty of Jap bikes in the past, I know its the one thing that really can take you away from ur everyday life .. meditatin in the wind as James Hetfield puts it! And as i 've said elsewhere, no bike puts a smile across my face like a harley ..so what the hell!

·
Registered
179 Posts
TC88 intro year ('99) issues were resolved by '02, and the TC88 certainly is a more robust, powerful, and reliable motor. But, given that mileage is moderate on both engines, it's the age of the total package that U need to concern yourself with - gaskets, wiring harness and electricals, especially, start to oxidize and deteriorate just sitting in your garage. The Evo your considering is now approaching 10 years old! Lastly, keep in mind that many HD dealers will at some point refuse to do various service work on your Evo, just as they've done with other older designs (shovels, etc.), because they are hesitant to warranty the work. Go with the TC88!!!!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Re: A 10-YEAR LOAN ON A BIKE?!

I would counsel you NOT to take out a 1-year loan on anything smaller than a house.

No amount of mystique and image is worth paying that much interest.

Go find a nice used metric cruiser. Unless your self-esteem is so low that you can't arrive on anything BUT a Harley, you will be just as happy on one of the many Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, or Yamaha cruisers.

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
Do you pay VAT on used-vehicle purchases?

21 - 40 of 71 Posts