Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My condolences to his friends and family. Sean, is there any chance of posting a picture of him? Maybe a little photo essay about the man and his life? Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I actually met Joe at the annual bike show in San Francisco in 1990. It was shortly after his column where he had made some less than aadulatory comments about Ducatis. I didn't own one but had a friend who did. Joe acknowledged not having been appreciated for it but didn't seem too worried about letter bombs in the mail. Some years later he made a passing remark in another column about the homeliness (or words to that effect) of BMW's R850R - which I happened to own at the time. So I wrote a little note to CityBike where I pointed out the good points of the model but agreed that it wasn't exactly pretty. They published my letter - the first time any publication did! I'll miss his column, it was my favorite part of the paper.

·
Registered
409 Posts
We've lost one of our best.

I remember having seen Glydon around while I was an undergrad at Berkeley. Unfortunately I didn't know who he was until a few years after I had left, and the motorcycling bug had finally bit me. I remember scouring the internet for articles on my new found obsession, finding the CityBike site (same night I found MO), and quite serendipitously gaining a bit of enlightenment.

Johnny B has best expressed what I felt in reading Glydon's articles. I only wish that someone from my generation can keep his spirit, wit, and analytical poignancy alive.

I feel a profound sense of loss. Joe Glydon will be missed.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Another member of our extended family gone. Even here in the sometimes sunny subtropical southeast, many of us knew of Joe Glydon - at least as often as CITYBIKE could remember to send me a cc, which was never often enough.

Joe, you will be missed and Godspeed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.