Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wait a minute...

Wait a minute, racing motorcycles; I thought you meant racing motorcycles as on a track. I really wanted to see how that would play out.

You mean they were racing motorcycles on the street and they are giving up there motorcycles they used in illegal street racing.

·
Registered
514 Posts
So the perps end up with a clean driving record after fleeing at 150 mph, the police department keeps the money from selling the bikes...

and this is all about public safety?

The conservatives have passed a LOT of really bad laws... but the ones awarding revenues from seized property directly to law enforcement agencies are some of the worst.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
"In the 1980s, state legislatures and Congress were frustrated with their inability to arrest and convict 'drug kingpins.' So they passed laws that gave police the power to seize the property of suspected dealers.... The federal Comprehensive Crime Act of 1984 was the most important of these measures, as it allowed local police agencies that cooperated in a drug investigation to keep the vast majority of the assets seized."

Conservatives controlled both houses of Congress in 1984? Who knew?

Other than that, you're right. Lousy law.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Seized property.....

Seized by law enforcement is just a simile for legalized theft.

How is it that conservatives managed to write a law that is explicitly unconstitutional? Where was Hannity defending the fourth amendment when this was happening?

Wake up people.

P.S. Father and son should be punished by fine or jail, NOT this BS forfeiture of property.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Re: Seized property.....

ok the key word here is plea AGREEMENT -- it isn't theft if they agree to give up the bikes to avoid jail time. sounds like a hell of a deal to me.

My question is the part of the article in which the police used spike strips on motorcycles. Theres no way that would happen at the police departments in my area. spike strips + motorcycles = death?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So what were they thinking???

So what were they thinking??? Is the bottom line.

Why would you be riding a racing non-street legal bike on the road anyway?

You can't be going that much faster then say a stock GSX-R1000.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Great point, I was wondering about that myself. I think todays police feel like they're all Judge Dredd types, judge, jury and (potentially in this case) executioner.

What were they thinking?

·
Registered
336 Posts

Don't see how this is a 4th amendment issue since it's a plea bargain, unless I'm misreading the article or don't have all the facts of the case.

I interpreted it as they could have kept the bikes and faced the fine or jail and most likely losing their license, etc etc. They opted out of it on their own, choosing to surrender their bikes in exchange for leniency.

My friend faced similar charges. His plea bargain didn't involve losing the bike, just license privs for a period of time. But he didn't get the adjuciation either.

I don't see the constitutional outrage here.

·
Registered
320 Posts

Not to sound jaded, but I can just imagine thier other "options" if they "agreed" to hand over a couple of bikes for what is essentially a speeding ticket.

I'll bet they weren't very attractive.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
If I were the Judge I would have sentenced them to 30 days (put them on the chain gang and made them paint park benches or fire hydrants) and put them on probation for 5yrs. Then siezed the bikes for Felony Elude. They weren't street legal bikes and the dad in this case was completely stupid for allowing this to happen. They should have had their licenses revoked for this, as well. Dumb A$$es.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Maybe something like "These two reckless individuals are a threat to themselves and everyone around them. The longer they are in this pursuit, the greater the probability this will end in a crash that can injure/kill innocents."

Why should they have done? Let em go? Cuz that sends the right messages to squids everywhere: "RUN! They can't catch you!"

·
Registered
70 Posts
Also, how many times have motorcycles killed innocents? If the perps crash, they die. That's the risk they take. But collateral damage from motorcycle crashes is usually pretty negligible. No one is really at risk until the 4000 pound cop cars start flying down the highway.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
They (IMS guys) are actually making me pay for 1 worker pass. Bast*rds! Because of Union rules I'm not allowed to use a hand truck to get my stuff in the GWCC, either. They're going to make me hand tote my stuff around the place. It will take me hours to set-up for the show because of this stupid rule.

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
It sounds like they were out riding really fast before they got chased.

If you're wife and kids were out cruising the minivan and they whistled by at 150 you'd calmly hope the police waited until they got home to arrest them?

Or would you stretch a piece of barbed wire across the road and then pound them until they shyt their own teeth for a week after?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.