Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MOron dude/dudettes; actually my favorite bike is my current (boxer cup repl). If I had to own a past bike...it'd be my old original '84 FJ1100 for its all around niceness. ric

·
Registered
730 Posts
OKAY, I'll bite..........1946 Harley WL 45" solo. it was 1980 and Id been without bike for a couple years ........money became available,and I couldnt afford a bigger bike so I bought the 45. It was a rare "survivor"...had basically been "on the road " for 30+ years.repaired with what was available. original frame, motor, sheet metal in pretty nice shape with older repaint in original "china Red"----later model(1947-52) trans and front end. old,hard Goodyears. What a HOOT! In the 7 years I had it I only had 2 batteries---theold thing it came with and one more. Even when cold or having sat for awhile it never took more than 3 kicks-----once you learned the drill. Soon after I bought a 65 Pan for transportation. so I didnt put big miles on the ol flattie but I rode it hard. Through furrowed fields,old dirt farm roads,the back roads.......it never missed a beat. As long as i performed regular maintenance(oil changes,lube chains,adjust chain,change plugs,set points etc.) it was as rerliable as any of my buds' bikes Handling could be rough and it wasnt fast(top end of between 65 and 70) but its amazing how much fun I had on that thang.Life gets in the way and I sold it( a long,sad story) but it remains the most fun bike I ever had.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My favorite is the Busa. I've never owned one and I've only ridden once. The acceleration was intoxicating. I remember after I was done riding it that I thought that I would never want a bike like that. Within a half hour I began thinking I couldn't live without one.

·
Registered
145 Posts
My personal favorites, but I believe it's more of a favorite time period in my life when I was an indestructible young fella owning a 1989 Suzuki RGV-250 2-stroke. No track experience on this bike either, only "goat trails" on pretty steep mountain roads. The only time I crashed it, I was being towed by a friend in a 1960's VW beatle after the engine went bye-bye on me.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
1987 BMW k75s. It smoked when put on the side stand, it wasn't very quick, was bit of a slow handler and the engineer who fitted the air filter should have been castrated. I sold it about 10 years ago and really miss it. But, thinking back on BMW parts prices, I don't think I'll replace it.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
This one's easy, my 1970 Triumph TR6R Tiger, the single carb, touring version of the Bonneville. I bought it for $850 in 1975 and even then it was an antique, but there still were many Triumphs around. I vowed to never sell it and I still own and ride it today. I rebuilt it in 1995 and it now has over 50,000 miles on it. It's on its third set of points, has a 0.020" over bore and runs as well as I do.

All my Jap bikes have come and gone, the only bikes I keep are the Tiger, a Harley, and Norton Commando. I also have a Hinckley Triumph, but not sure for how much longer. That thing does everything better than my pushrod bikes put together, but it's boring. If I could only keep one bike it would be the '70 Tiger.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
I'd say that the most memorable motorcycle I ever owned was the '64 Yamaha 80 Trailmaster that I spent the entire summer of '65 on exploring the Palos Verdes peninsula, freaking out nags on the horse trails and generally riding the living pi$$ out of.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
The Trophy I have now is my favorite. Having one of my previous bikes back is a tough choice because some of them I liked a lot more than others

Probably my '83 GPZ 750. I bought it for my self for Christmas and rode it home in the snow, it was a tariff bike so it was only $2500 brand new, It was my first real "performance" bike after riding Harley's for years and it just blew me away how fast and good handling it was. I rode it up to Canada a few times and all over Washington and I don't ever remember it even hiccuping.

I've had a dozen or so street bikes and I've really liked some and couldn't wait to get rid of some others but that one sticks in my mind as a turning point for me.

·
Registered
55 Posts
How 'bout most memorable. I was 21 in 1975 and I owned a 1974 Suzuki GT750. It was scary fast for the time and loud as all get out with those expansion chambers and I loved every minute that I rode it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Re: Anyone Knows what a DT 180 is ???

My fondest memories are from my uncle's little Yamaha DT 180. First bike I ever rode and few gave me much more pleasure afterwards.

Slim body, nice 2-stoke engine (ohh the smell of that oil burning....), would go anywhere and do anything well.......wait a sec....maybe that was his daughter.....

·
Registered
208 Posts
Favorite bike? My DL650 -- black with red wheels. After honestly figuring out what I wanted, Suzuki made it for me in 2004. The aftermarket is helping perfect it (especially with the help of the Wilbers).

Most memorable bike? mid-70's era Honda Trail 70 -- green -- that I rode on my grandpa's land in Michigan. I was warped from that point on. That was 30 years ago...

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
It's really hard to pick a favorite. Here are some highlights of 36 years of riding:

Most adventuresome: 1989 XT600 that took me to the Italian Alps for three summers.

Owned longest: Modified SR500 that I rode this last weekend. I've had that bike for 19 years. I toured Germany with it, and rode the BRP a couple of years back.

Wildest bike: 1985 RZV500R. Power hit at 6 grand like a freight train.

Biggest Dissappointment: 1988 HD Sportster. Of course I couldn't leave it alone. What a money pit. Sorry HD fans.

Bike most beyond my capabilty: 1997 YZF1000R. It was so competent I had to sell it.

Most owned: RD350/400's. There always seems to be one around here in various states of modification or decay.

Most lusted after. 1973 MX360. Finally got one. Not a dissappointment.

Most fun on the street: 1995 620RXC with 17" wheels. This thing should be illegal.

Best hooligan: 1985 RZ350. It made me crazy when it came on the pipes. Just ask my lawyer.

Best dirt bike: Whatever I'm riding at the moment. They get better every year.

Biggest mistake: 1980 XS650 with dirt track wheels and fiberglass. Didn't go, didn't stop and didn't handle. What was I thinking?

Most memorable bike from youth: 1974 TM125. First high performance bike I was able to get my hands on. I'd like to find a good one, but they're probably all burnt up.

Most overkill: 1994 CR500 with street registration. Used for enduros. Take off the flywheel weight and hang on! I need to find another one.

None was a waste of time, and all left me with indelible memories. Wouldn't trade them for anything.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.