Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cannot vouch for Fieldsheer, but my JR Meteor (original...v1.0?) held up fine in my recent head-on with tick in a car. I had probably five years of use on it, and other than the neck and sleeve Velcro going away (I replaced the Velcro with SS snaps), the jacket was a fabulous value.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Re: What bike is that?

It's a Yamaha GTS, an early to mid 90's sport-touring (I suppose) bike w/ a front end single-sided swingarm instead of forks. I've ridden the bike and it's a decent machine. Looks cool as heck, I think.

·
Registered
91 Posts

Yamaha GTS 1000. Sold here in 94 I believe (Maybe 93.) It's gorgeous! Has a single sided swingarm rear, and front! Sort of a paralever/telelever design. Anti lock brakes, and lots of other goodies. It's another wonderful bike that never sold here. It just figures, actually. Hey carl, that bike is beautiful!

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
I had one of the original JR ballistic jacket and pants combo's. After I washed it according to their instructions it lost it's water proofing. I called them up and explained the situation and they replaced it no problem, this is after two years of almost daily riding. I now have a Ballistic series 4.0 that I wear when it's wet, the only problem with them is the knee pads are too small and poorly placed.. total cost from M/C USA superstore was around $350 or so. The only crash testing I've done was a 5mph stall, drop and roll I did when I was riding with a sprained ankle. My JR Rhino boots were ok, but the stitching failed a number of times and had to be re-sewn, I finaly replaced them with Sidi on-road's.. I have worn JR blaster leather pants for the last 4 years which, after replacing the zipper, have worked very well. I've found JR stuff to be low-end but a good value for the money.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
I bought one of those JR jackets, but no washing instructions came with it. Nor are there any instructions on their website.

How do you wash the damn thing?

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
There's a tag sewn on the liner (on mine anyway) it's pretty much remove armor- cold water-gentle cycle-mild detergent-hang dry, but like I said, after I washed it it wasn't water proof anymore which is why I bought it in the first place, so I don't plan on washing my new one and I never washed the replacement they sent me. It's just red and road-grimey and nasty looking after 4 years of wearing it in iffy weather. Makes me look like a REAL biker.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The most important part of the washing process for subsequent water repellency is the rinse (well, the waterproofing agent is up there, too). If there is any detergent left in the material, it will wick moisture. Also, I've been told both to use fabric softener, and not to use it.

You may want to check out the Aerostich cleaning procedures at http://www.aerostich.com/riderwearhouse.store.

My opinion is to use liquid soap, or pre-dissolve the powder, especially if you are washing dark colored fabric.

Incidentally, the reason you must take out the foam armor is because the garment will not submerge otherwise.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah! You wanna talk about a WIDE area network! Ping time is a bit excessive, but hey...

BTW, JR will perform an inspection on the seams and material if you desire, but their policy is to recommend retiring armored garments after a crash, much like the helmet makers recommend with their products.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sorry but 75 miles is not a true test of a jacket

being waterproof. I want my jacket to go eight to twelve hours.

I like the idea that manufacturer's are getting some decent venting, could proably be better.

Chest vents, don't help much if your setting behind a big fairing.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Actually... Based on the one in my garage...

It was here in 93 and 94. USA, Europe and Canada. EFI, ABS, single front swingarm and conventional twin spar rear.

Roughly 100hp and 100 ftlbs.

Red in 93 and Blue-green in 94. I'd guess that's a 94. (With aftermarket seat and screen.)

Being a purist (right...Uh...) mine remains stock.

It is a fantastic machine.

SPRJ

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought the Fieldsheer Titanium air jackets for my wife and myself. Their looks, armor & prices are much better the JR counter-parts. I love them for hot weather riding. I have only good things to say about FS but their distribution totally sucks.

I've been trying to get the Titanium air pants and not a single distributor in the country has them. Ordered them online at fieldsheeronline.com with no reply or charge ot shipment.

They have the best product for the best price.

FIELDSHEER, IF YOU READ THIS!!!! PLEASE IMPROVE YOUR STOCK AND DIDTRIBUTION!!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I rode for years with a t-shirt or jeans jacket during the summer. Last year I bought a Fieldsheer Air Blade jacket. The quality is terrific, and I've gotten many favorable comments on the looks. The leather is perforated, but my wife sewed up a shirt of Polar Fleece Windbloc so I can wear the jacket during colder months. It's warm during the summer, but works great in the mountains. I would buy another Fieldsheer product.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.