Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I like to hear all the other stuff too as it adds character to the stories. Where would we be without hearing about JBs headbolts? To me its nice to hear about the bikes but OK to hear the staff and reporters are human too and do real life stuff as well. Or are we just too touchy feely down here in New Zealand?

Cheers

Merv.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Bravo, Mr. pated, Bravo! I couldn't of put it better myself! I long for writing that makes me feel like I'm the one tweaking the nasty handle myself. Good to know there are other bike junkies out there like me.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Con

Yossef put a lot about himself and the test environment, but only if it's relevant to the test or to the bottom line of the particular article. His stuff stands out because he delivers the basic facts and figures along with his opinions, asides and obsessions.

JB does the same in a less focused and more confrontational manner. They share a lot of grammatical and spelling impediments as well as a basic love of motorcycles that makes up for any shortcomings.

The other MO journalists are pretty low on the learning curve on the way up; give them a chance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I donno about you-all but I am looking for a little entertainment whenever and wherever possible. I paid MY money to be informed AND entertained. If all I wanted were facts, I could read the manufacturer's spec sheets for free.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I agree, merv - I can get the facts and data anywhere. When I understand a particular writer's character , then I can truly develop an appreciation for what he is trying to tell me. MO is all about the personalities behind the keystrokes - staff and readers alike. No other mag has this appeal for me. You just can't be everything for everybody...

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
I like to know a little background on the testers such as experiance and size because it helps to quantify their opinions. Someone's opinion with a year or two's experiance isn't as valuable to me as someone's with 20 or 30 years thats owned a dozen bikes, and I'd just as soon know that before I read the test. It's like someone from LA writing about rain gear.

·
Registered
129 Posts
This one time I was at a friend's house. The one who sold me my first (current) bike, actually. So I'm sittin' on the john, right, and I pick up a year-or-two old issue of [print mag name]. I pick a random review and start reading it, and I'm quite entertained by the writing style. I've only ever read MO as far as bikes are concerned. I'm also struck, after a few paragraphs, that this guy writes JUST like JB. *flippity-flip* Oh, it is JB... Awesome!

I, personally, enjoy getting used to a particular journalist, and I like reading whatever's on their mind. If they're interesting, they can tell me about the whole day. *shrug* I read quickly.

I've read an article or two where the journalist gave a turn-by-turn impression of how the bike felt. I dunno, it seemed a little melodramatic.

Just my two cents

·
Registered
8 Posts
I like the straight story on all of the different bikes, especially the performance and handling since I'm always looking to trade. I also like to know that even though these guys have the best job in the world, they are human.

JB's former moto mag column, "Bitter Little Man" was my favorite of all the editorials, and it was nixed too soon. You guys should start that up again. Maybe I'm sick (or bitter), but I liked it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This morning while trying to clean up the mess my four pets made over night I was forced to listen to the wild ramblings of a little payed blah blah blah.

Did you see how I lost you on the first sentence?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I pick out only the things that I'm interested in knowing from each article. If the writer indicates that he chases small farm animals for his or her own pleasure, I still only remember the positive and negative items that have been pointed out in the article. Unless the farm animal wins and they can't finish the article, then I'm pissed. If it bothers a person to read articles that a certain writer prints, don't read his articles, don't subscribe. You may want to try www.oldmcdonald.com for more interesting writing.

breu

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would agree with pated's comments, but would also like to take it a bit further.

Recently, the two major US motorcycle publications (CW and M) have seemingly de-contented their motorcycle reporting. Information on the motorcycles themselves is thin, and as others have mentioned, not much more than could be gleaned from a manufacturer's spec sheet. Any efforts "in depth" are reserved for forays into history, or detailed analysis of something equally less appropriate to OUR needs, like Dan Gurney's Gator, the Dodge Tomahawk, et al.

My subscriptions to CW and M are not being renewed. The lesson being that my money will be spent for hard news, in depth coverage of new motorcycles on the market. A warning, MO, as your content has lagged lately, with Yossef's contributions being the only thing interesting. Frankly, I do not need to see an article from EVERY DAMN PUBLICATION out there regarding a comparo of 600 class bikes. Who cares THAT much--other than a number of squids looking for their first sportbike?????

·
Registered
289 Posts
This complaint reminds of how my old roommate would go to Taco Bell and tell them to not put tomato on his food, which of course they always did. Every time he would get irate about it and talk to the manager or call up the central office. I just ordered my stuff and took the 5 extra seconds to brush off anything that I didn't like and managed to enjoy my $4 meal that was made by someone making barely $6 an hour.

Oops sorry about the personal ramblings the point is read another magazine if it bothers you that much. Sport rider is very informative and as bland as grits. Of course I seriously doubt that Kent or Andrew would take the time to write you back, even if it was just some smart-ass comments that most MO subscribers have come to know and expect from johnnyb.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Robot

I walked robot like through the first 7 years of my school years, grade school/ Junior High, with boring teachers that did nothing to entice interest in the boring subjects they were trying to teach. Then in 8th grade I had a social studys ( boring) teacher that was very spontaneous and comical in a slap stick way while he was delivering the drivel that the system wanted us to learn. So learning doesn't have to be boring.

Thank you Mr. Scoogins, and thanks MO for this great interactive, entertaining, beer swizzling, scooter smackin down, motorcycle life style reading....Oh Yeah and the new bike reviews and comparison tests are ok too.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.