Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well. at least most of them are in cars. However, racing in the streets is stupid and bad for all motorsports. So this is just freaking great, more idiots filming themslves doing stupid crap that will end up making our lives a little more miserable in the long run.

BigJames

·
Registered
373 Posts
I totally agree that these stunts whether done well or not are best left to designated areas away from the general public as there is no longer any room nor tolerance for those who wantonly jeopardize others' lives. All these clowns have no idea of what a real accident is like and how it impacts not only them, but others.

·
Registered
878 Posts
My buddies and I don't literally race each other, but if we reserved going fast soley for the trackdays we wouldn't own bikes. I'm going to get some fun use out of the hundreds or perhaps thousands of my tax dollars that went to pay for those roads.

Once you actually start going to racetracks you realize the inconvenience and expense of having to go there every time to get your speed jollies. Some common sense and forethought are enough to moderate the risks of fast street riding low enough to be palatable. The ones that end up dead or maimed were usually the ones that chose not to use that common sense.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I agree Abe, there's a time and a place for riding real fast on the street, safely i might add. Unfortunately the a__holes who do 80mph down 25 mph side streets, with occasionaly distatrous results are the reasons why our highway laws are written to address the lowest commen denominator.

On the plus side, be thankful we're not in Norway, where their freeway speed limit is 90 Kph and speeding fines are based on your earnings.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Considering the topic, and the too-common "That's what trackdays are for!!!!" responses, I'd have to say this is one of the most intelligent responses I've read in a long time. Most anyone logging on to this site probably speeds at least some of the time, and, as my MSF Experienced Rider instructor (ex CHP rider) said - "If you guys didn't want to speed at least some of the time, you wouldn't be riding motorcycles." I'm not justifying 80 in a 25, but I don't think I ride or drive on too many roads without exceeding the posted limit as a matter of course, and I think I'm in the majority (among bikers, anyway).

I heard Kurt Vonnegut Jr. on NPR once say something like "You've heard the mathematical proposition that if you had an infinite number of monkeys typing on an infinite number of typewriters, sooner or later they'd produce all of the great books. The internet shows that this isn't true."

My thanks to Mr. Froman for (temporarily, at least) giving me reason to think Kurt was wrong.

·
Registered
26 Posts
WMV= Windows Media Video (I think)

it should open with Windows media player.

first: are you using a Mac? if that is the case, you can forget about it.

second: right click and choose save as:

save it to your DESKTOP,

now try it and see if windows media player opens and tries to play it.

if something else opens and doesn't work you have your file associations f'ed up. you will need to hold down shift and right click the MOVIE FILE and go to OPEN WITH and pick the Windows Media Player

Simple!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Re: My roads=my rules.

I agree, racetracks are a pain. They make you pay money to ride on them, make you race prep your bike and then treat you like they don't want you there unless you're turning a really fast lap on the latest bike.

However,

The cop and judge will both say:

Your tax dollars don't entitle you to a damn thing. Especially breaking laws.

Don't get me wrong, I like the fact that you mentioned common sense and risk levels, this shows that at least you know something about safe motorcycling. But none of that matters once a cop sees his radar readout of 15mph over the limit. And the fact that it was Sunday morning and the road was out of the city and deserted doesn't matter. Or that you were riding at 6/10's pace. Or that you had made sure you got a good night's sleep the night before so you would be sharp. They don't give a S#IT about any of it. It only matters what the sign said and what the officer writes on the ticket. This is reality and it will only get worse from here. Because once you get one ticket for 80 in a 65; the next time you get stopped for 73 in a 65 you get another ticket because you've got a "history" and are "habitually speeding". After that, you're in deep trouble with the law and insurance and probably your wallet. Every time you come in contact with a cop or a DMV, they're making an ASSumption about you. And it ain't a good one.

Make sure this doesn't happen to you and your friends.

Live long and ride all you can.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Um, where's the shootout?

How come no one is clamoring for the shootout Sean promised for today?
Am I the only one who is too blind or too stupid to find it?

Even if I'm not yet at Aunt Mildred's, I still want to read it.

The 5-Way shootout that we promised you, is complete and ready to go. We've scheduled it to go live on Monday the 22nd, so you'll have something to read over the holidays, while you're stuck at Aunt Mildred's house playing babysitter to 312 kids and an ill tempered French Poodle.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Two positive aspects of a trackday are that you can go fast enough to shred tires if you choose to. A more casual, non-race pace on a track is still considerably faster than can be sanely ridden on the street. When I go on a trackday, I simply build up to a fun pace I am comfortable with, hopefully without exceeding the limits of traction. Even on a slow trackday, the speed is significantly faster than our fastest street pace. However, the tracks are at least 3+ hours away, require an overnight stay and cost a minimum of $200+ with all expenses.

There are many good roads in my area. Ridng them composes 90% of my riding time. I wouldn't trade that time for track time even it was free. The group I ride with are all mature, highly skilled ex-roadracers. Sometimes the pace is a bit slower, but usually it is a pretty quick clip at a 7/10s velocity. We maintain complete control of our machines, never cross the center line or pass in turns, etc. but the officer's radar gun reading has little to do with the posted 35-45 MPH limits. Obviously, a quick, fun, yet sane pace is completely irrelevant to the posted limit. Trying to convince the long arm of the law in this neighborhood is a complete exercise in futility. When faced with the possibility of this controntation, most of us don't hang around long enough to get involved in such a losing conversation. Damn shame, but that's how it seems to work in the real world. Of course, the BIGGEST problem is the new breed of stunt riders on one wheel at 100+ MPH ridng between the lanes. They are attracting way too much negative publicity that is affecting all of us and making it damn near impossible to have a fun ride without fear of retribution from the local gendarmes.

·
Registered
89 Posts
A friend of mine (a state prosecutor who loves to ride) advised me that his office couldn't be happier with these videos, especially when they appear in the public domain (internet)... they don't even need a subpoena to obtain the evidence. He has no problem differentiating between those who ride for the love of it - responsibly... and those whose actions jeopardize motorcycling in general in the common public view. When the appropriate jurisdiction is determined (via the images), the appropriate authority is so notified and advised. So, don't think this activity has gone un-noticed... video of oneself violating any law is stupid in the extreme, but putting it in the public domain... well, that's behavior worthy of a Darwin Award candidate.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Re: Um, where's the shootout?

I am getting more content from free sites then from paid subscription. Since some time, around John B. departure, quality of this site is going down. I will be thinking twice before renewing

·
Registered
13 Posts
Re: Um, where's the shootout?

totally agree - I have been here so many times and getting peeved with slack contect - where is the shoot MO you promised and why do we have to wait a month before we get anything new - there are other stuff you can write about besieds the latest bikes - which I love :)

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Good point. Someone stupid enough to dragrace at 100+ in a NOS Civic in 35MPH zones or stupid enough to wheelie down the double-yellow line on his 600-4 in traffic is also stupid enough to record that fact and put it on the internet and so make the local gendarmes' jobs that much easier.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.