Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
I got to ride one for about 15 feet the other day when the owner got arrested at the local 76 gas station for DUI. It was blocking traffic when I happened by to fill up the ex-Kawazaki, and the station owned tapped me for a hand in moving the beast.

Neat bike, but it was damn difficult finding the igniiton switch.

I was impressed with the clutch and transmission. Gee whizz. Should have rode it around the block I guess.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Ho hum, another V twin crusier. Art Deco? Nope. don't think so. Unit construction anyway. Thats progress.

Trailers for sale or rent

Rooms to let...fifty cents.

No phone, no pool, no pets

I ain’t got no cigarettes

Ah, but..two hours of pushin’ broom

Buys an eight by twelve four-bit room

I’m a man of means by no means

King of the road.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Y' know, calling them "Star" motorcycles isn't going to fool anyone. Everyone knows they are Yamahas, just like everyone knows that Acuras are Hondas (with lockwashers). People are stupid enough to pay thousands extra for a mere name, witness Lexus's rebadged Toyota Land Cruisers, so you can't really blame Yammmerhammer for trying.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
And there's something wrong with being a Yamahaha? Albeit an upscale one? I mean, jeez, you've got to show off all that fooforaw somewhere, right? And to look upon one and see "YAMAHA" on the tank would be, well, diss-apointing to say the least.

Personally I'm looking forward to the upscale line of Urals re-badged as Urinators. They have tail lights like '58 Buick Specials. Gothic man. Gothic.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
It's something you do up a tree.

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
I guess they figured they'd save money on tankbadges since the first thing every metric cruiser rider does is break out a hair dryer and peel the stickers off his tank.

Can't roll up to the biker bar with "Shadow" on your tank now can you?

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
one more thing...

Routing the wires and stuff through the handlebars is NOT an advantage. Have you ever tried to change bars like that? [email protected]

Aside from that the bike looks pretty good, really.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
You're right. Whatthefock is wrong with calling them Yamahas? It's not like HDs aren't substantially made of import parts any more.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Re: one more thing...

..all it needs are tail fins...

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Neat dare-streak styling! Wow! Thundermatic 6000 V-2 power! AutoFlite Touch-N-Go GrindoMatic Shifting! 4% Smoother with Triple Turbine Surgemaster Injection! New Gyro-Cloud Full-Spring Suspension. New saddle material of WondaWeeve, the new double-strength material-like substance! Naturally available in Abyssinian Mauve, Foamfroth White, Thuringian Indigo & Tijuana Gold!

Rather than crib from the Word of McCall, I'd better get in my 1954 DeSoto, fire up the tube type radio, put on some smooooth tunes and get to work. Maybe later I'll get in the Lockheed Connie and fly down to HQ for some stupid meeting in the godforsaken wastelands of SW FL.

Heighooooo, Silver! Time to go! My Hopalong Cassidy watch just said so!

Is anyone else as unimpressed as I? MAYBE someday somebody will use retro right.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Count me in

......for being unimpressed.

I guess it's easier to dredge up old American 50's car lingo than to actually engineer something original. First, they copied Harley, and now they go this way....with their Harley copy. Pretty sad for a company that declared the V-Twin an 'inferior engine design' in the 80's and wanted to teach Harley how to make a proper inline four. Oh, I forgot, V-twins weren't selling then. I forgot another thing. This isn't Yamaha! It's Star! Somebody please tell me this is nothing but a bad joke, and Yamaha will spill the beans and say it was really just a big gag. Classic?? Retro?? Give me a break.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.