Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A 1000 seems too big to start on. A 600 is as big as I would go, personally, for a first bike.

However, if you absolutely have your mind set on this bike, an FZR1000 is an excellent motorcycle. The only negative thing I've ever heard about them (and this is hearsay, not from personal experience) is that the stock fork seals wear out quickly. However, I think there is a way to permanently cure this. Try "The EXUP Brotherhood". They have a website that is dedicated to Yamaha sportbikes, and would know more about them than me.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Straight from "The EXUP Brotherhood"

The EXUP valve can seize up after a few years (although mine hasn't yet on my '93 bike). More serious a problem is potential failure of the bearing behind the gearbox sprocket, partly caused by running a worn or over-tight drive chain (again no probs with mine yet!). Requires a full engine strip however to sort out!

Rear wheel bearings can be short-lived but are easily changed. Pitted head races tend to be common on older models, causing vague handling and reduced stability, but changing them is easy enough too.

Calliper corrosion affects all pre-'94 models and Yamaha UK even produce a leaflet about this. I have replaced ALL the brake callipers on mine with Harrison Billet units, but not everyone I know has changed theirs. Front discs also have a tendency to warp (which mine did and were immediately replaced with a pair of Brembo's). Worth changing to braided steel brake and clutch lines whilst you're are it (but be sure to use s/s nuts NOT anodized alloy ones which are prone to cracking).

Regular oil changes are a must, especially if the EXUP is used a lot in town as clutch wear contaminates the oil and can lead to blocked oilways. UK bikes were restricted to 125bhp, but the inlet rubbers can easily be trimmed to obtain a few extra horses (there must be hardly any EXUPs that AREN'T de-restricted!).

Also fork seals have a habit of giving up the ghost (although again I'm still waiting for this to happen on mine). You'll probably find that the general quality and standard of nuts and bolts on the FZR1000 isn't terribly good (a case of Yamaha spoiling the ship for a ha'porth of tar), so it's well worth replacing some of these for stainless steel or aluminium items.

The standard clutch basket is not particularly strong, and won't stand up well to constant wheelies or drag starts. Often this is replaced by a billet clutch basket, or the original unit can be modified for better performance.

Despite what I have said above, all-in-all you should find the EXUP to be a pretty damn fine, reliable motorcycle, which looks great, handles beautifully and goes like stink! You should also be able to pick up a very good one for a very reasonable price too, which is another reason to consider getting one. However the best reason on earth is that you will then belong to the world-wide EXUP Brotherhood, so what more do you want?!

·
Registered
67 Posts
You could probably handle the FZR if you are a reasonably sane individual with a normal level of self preservation, AND you never exceed posted speed limits, never use anything more than 1/4 throttle, but neither will you develop your riding skills very quickly, unless you are one of those rare indiduals who become fighter pilots or pro basketball players. Somebody else said, get an SV650. Couldn't agree more.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Not only would I not recomend the FZR 1000 for a rider of your limited experience, I would dissuade you from this choice if your plans include long distance highway excursions as well. Get yourself something on the order of a Kawasake EX500. Not only will you find it more accommdating Your chances of remaing injury free will be greatly increased as well. VWW

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Do yourself a favor and get something tamer than an FZR1000, The best thing you can do would be to get nighthawk 750, or a ZR7S Kawasaki, or any number of more managable bikes, 1 year of riding and an MSF course is a good start, now build some experiance on a more casual bike, Then if you want you can get a full-on sportbike or cruiser or whatever genre you like. As far as maintainance history on a used bike, if the previous owner didn't take some kind of notes on oil changes and what-not, I'd wonder if he/she actually did them. Also chain/sprocket condition is a good indicater of overall condition, too loose, too tight[worse] or gunked up and rusty will tell you if the guy was on top of it or not.

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
My first bike was/is a 2001 ZX-6R Kawasaki. In retrospect, I would go and buy a used Suzuki SV650 or a Kawasaki EX500. Why used? Cost and you really won't know what kind of bike you really want until you get some experience. Why a small displacement bike? Insurance cost, tire cost and a less intimidating experience. I diffently would not go and buy a litter bike unless you have extreme restraint. Most of the time I practice restraint but there are times when the competivie juices are flowing and I ride over my head.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Couldn't agree more. Plus, he said he wants to commute in the city of Chicago with the bike - that big FZR is going to be a beast on the commuting side...

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
First street bike I owned was a 72 Triumph 650 Bonneville. Kick start, Lucas electrics, and drum brakes. I would recommend one of those, but I have a feeling you would quit motorcycling in about a week. Anyway, a good used starter bike can't be beat. Nighthawk, SV650, Kaw 750. Think standards, unless you like to commute in discomfort. I do commute on my ZX9, but not IN Chicago. I'd stay away from a sport bike unless you are skilled and mature.

·
Registered
8 Posts
you should ditch the fzr and get a hayahbuseda, or a ninga12-r. how about a boss hoss.???? I gonna build a killer ride, im gonna put a big block chevy in a vespa scooter. i will send aome pics of burn outs and wheelies when i get it done......you wanna buy it when its finnished.it'll cost at least 20 large, but remember, 20 thousand dollars and 20 miles doesnt make you a biker.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Honda Hawk GT! Cheap, cult following, reliable, readily upgradable, light(ish), decent power, no plastic bodywork to break when you dump it... The list goes on.

I commute on a Hawk in downtown Chicago when it's above freezing (so, May through September), and it's a great city bike.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I have full coverage on a 2002 FZ-1 for about 240 a year, also through state farm, and I'm 23 with a clean record. Progressive quoted me $3000....and they didn't laugh when I asked them if their quote was in Canadian.

--The Fox, TMinus 5 days

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the advice everyone, I guess a 600 or 500 is better suited for my riding experience. The reason I thought about the FZR 1000 is because I rode it last summer and felt comfortable on it. I also rode a ninja 600 but I didn't get a good feel for it. It wasn't as comfortable as the FZR but I will try it again. By the way, I'm thirty and I'm not trying to pull off any stunts or race, I was just introduce to motorcycling and I really enjoy it and want to put in some riding time. With out spending a lot of money. Thanks again.

When I said I rode it last summer I had it for about a two months and rode in Chicago traffic.

·
Registered
34 Posts
You're not a nut.

I started riding at thirteen. Rode nothing but standards for fifteen years, and then the first kid arrived. Was on hiatus until 1997 when the youngest started high school. First bike when I reentered the sport was a GPz1100. Took about a year to be completely comfortable with it. Too heavy to get out of its own way and paid the price for it. Moral: You can do it if you have patience and take the time to grow into the bike, but something lighter and friendlier is better. Your call. Best wishes.

·
Registered
720 Posts
ADVICE FROM MR. ALLCAPS

DUDE YOU TOTALLY HAVE TO GET THE FASTEST BIKE YOU CAN BECAUSE OTHERWISE YOU WILL BE TOTALLY BORED WITH IT AND YOU WILL HAVE TO GIVE UP RIDING BECAUSE IT WILL BE SO BORING BECAUSE IT WILL TAKE SO LONG TO GET EVERYWHERE AT ONLY 140 OR 130 MPH.

DON'T LISTEN TO THESE [email protected] AND PUSSIES WITH 600'S AND SV 650'S THEY ARE JUST JEALOUS BECAUSE THEY CAN'T AFFORD TO BUY THE FASTEST BIKES OR THEIR MOMS CAN'T COSIGN FOR THEM LIKE MINE DID. SHE HELPED ME FINANCE MY GSXR1000 AND THEN TOLD ME TO SIGN SOME PIECE OF PAPER MAKING HER MY "BENEFICIARY" ON SOME INSURANCE POLICY OR SOMETHING. I DON'T KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS, BUT THE 11 DAYS I RODE AROUND ON MY BIKE LAST SUMMER BEFORE I CRASHED AND THEN THEY PUT MY BRAIN INTO THIS TANK IN THE MAYO CLINIC WERE REALLY FUN.

I JUST HOPE THEY DON'T LET MY MOM INTO THE ROOM WHERE THEY KEEP MY TANK BECAUSE I'M AFRAID SHE'LL TIP IT OVER OR SOMETHING OR MAYBE SPILL DRANO INTO THE TANK LIKE SHE DID LAST CHRISTMAS.

LAST WEEK SOME GUY PUT A BUNCH OF GOLDFISH IN THERE AS A JOKE AND THEY STARTED NIBBLING ON ME AND IT WAS AN HOUR BEFORE THEY TOOK THEM OUT BUT NOW I CAN'T REMEMBER ANYTHING THAT HAPPENED BETWEEN JULY 13, 1998 AND MAY 22, 1999.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Re: ADVICE FROM MR. ALLCAPS

LOL!

Everyone has been right. Listen to guys that have been riding awhile. We know!!!! Get a used comfy small displacement bike. In a year, you will know what you want, or even if you want to continue motorcycling. If you are new to riding, you will most likely love whatever you get. And you will be able to sell the bike for close to what you paid for it when you decide to upgrade.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'm sure you're a responsible rider, and you could probably handle it, but it's those unforeseen incidents in which you react by reflex that the extra power can really get a newer rider into trouble.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.