Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I had my first ride last night. I had purchased an old 78 Kawasaki z650. It's a nice bike and is very sound (mechanicly). As I was preparing to leave I realized that I had to negotiate an obstacle that wasn't covered in the MSF course (which I took a month and a half ago). My obstacle was a steep driveway meeting one of those roads that has a big hump in the middle to allow for drainage into the ditch. I was a little nervous with people watching, the obstacle and the fact that I hadn't ridden in a while. After a little less than clean start I was off. My biggest issue was shifting and finding the new bike's friction zone. The route I took had the least traffic, yet had plenty of red lights at which to practice finding the zone and shifting. Once I was almost home, I had a bit of a small scare. I accidentally hit the back brake in a turn (and locked the back tire). Thankfully it was low speed and it wasn't a sharp turn, so I didn't fall. I learned these two lessons:

Plan your route. The route I took was not the route I normally took. There was construction I didn't know about.
Start Small. The bike I learned on was just under 500 CCs. The bike I was originally after was a 750 CC Kawasaki Vulcan. I ended up with a 650 CC Kawasaki and was surprised at the weight. Thankfully it's not a problem, but the Vulcan may have been.

I plan to preactice this weekend in an abandoned parking lot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thankfully I was smart enought not to buy one of those.

Thanks for the tip on the rear brake. I hadn't even thought of that. I will look at that tonight.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.