Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nice review, and a good scoop. It would have been nicer if there were more photos to show the bike from all angles as it appears to be a beautiful design. VWW

·
Registered
8 Posts
According to another magazine, Arlen Ness had a big hand in the design of this bike. One of the features of the bike mentioned in his interview was the ridge down the center. Even the seat/tank was his company's design. How was his name not mentioned in the article. I also noticed that you didn't mention anything about the performance of this bike other than the lean angle. Can it hold its own against other cruisers?

·
Registered
722 Posts
I also read that Ness was involved. Good to see. Victory has serious problems in the ugly department.

This bike marks the beginning of a break from that trend. It is a lean nice looking machine.

·
Registered
99 Posts
The decision not to name the Ness's specifically was mine. I felt that if you're going to start naming names, then the names of everybody involved with the design should also be included.

As for performance, no other cruiser was available for a direct comparison. We should be getting a long term tester within the next few months. More specific testing can be had then.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Great Scoop!

Wow. Polaris/Victory really are putting their industrial engineers to work! This bike is great and I can't wait to see how it functions in the real world. I have high expectations given the high quality control of manufacturing process. What other bikes are in the works? Are they interested in making any V-twin sports tourers or ultralight singles a la Borile? If they produce my flavor of motorcycles I could easily forget about all imports and buy American. I really am impressed with their focus on quality control and I expect anything manufactured by this company to be trouble free for a very long time. Great work Calvin and Kudos to Polaris/Victory for getting into the motorcycle business. I wish them continued success.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Victory really seems to have a commitment to making a go at the motorcycle business. I'm certain they havent had much profit or success so far, but it doesn't seem to be phasing them. This bike certainly looks like their best so far. I think much of their problem is name recognition. I know they have a few commercials and the Kyle Petty ride, but they have to stuff these things in the public mind to get sales going. Having a nice bike with few knowing about it probably is their biggest challenge. I can't even remember the last mag that tested one of these.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
One advantage to keeping all that manufacturing data on record is that it reduces the possiblilty of some disgruntled employee sabotaging the product.

·
Registered
31 Posts
A very nice, fresh design. It is nice to see Harley Davidson have some American competition that is not simply assembling clone evo engines and aftermarket parts. The level of technology employed in the design and manufacture of this motorcycle is impressive as well. I look forward to seeing this design in the flesh.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yet another victim of the California Is The Center of The Universe Syndrome (CITCTUS) wherein sufferers become geographically impaired outside of a triangle defined by San Diego-Las Vegas-San Francisco.

Great write-up and an attractive ride. Interesting stray thought -- major US cruiser manufacturers are located far, far above the snow line. Causation or correlation? At least the Vegas would be interesting eye candy for solitary sojourns in a cold garage in Minnetonka waiting for resumption of riding season.

When you test this, and we know you will, be kind and order some representative accessories so we can: 1) see them; and, 2) get an evaluation.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Performs well?

I thought it was a little interesting that after saying one of their design considerations was a well-performing bike, that they de-tuned the power of the front brakes, and compensated for weak springs with high damping.

If you want to add a little performance, you're going to sacrifice a little bit of ease of use (crappy brakes don't lock up), and riding comfort (do the forks bottom out on heavy braking, or are the brakes just so weak you can't do it?)...

I'm not anti-cruiser, but if your goal is performance, don't tie your hands behind your back out of the starting blocks...

Brad

·
Registered
99 Posts
Aw crap, I totally forgot to put that it. Uh... see the thing is, I don't have the number in front of me now, but it's priced below the H-D's and above the Japanese cruisers. I think 14,999 is the number.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Re: Performs well?

Honestly, when I was sitting in the briefing and listening to the chassis engineer talking about using damping the way they did and de-tuning the front brakes, I thought they were crazy. But after riding around and spending some time and after some Q&A with the engineers, I came away feeling satisfied that they did the right thing. This is still a cruiser after all.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.