Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Metzeler Z6 Roadtec - 180/55/17 'B' Spec

BMW K1200RS, K1200GT, Yamaha FJR1300

Metzeler M1 Sportec - 190/50/17 'P' Spec

Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa

Pirelli Diablo - 120/70/17 'P' Spec

Pirelli Diablo - 190/50/17 'P' Spec

Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa

The common denominator is that these special spec tires are built for extra heavy sportbikes. The regular non-spec tire in the same size will probably be ok if kept at proper pressure but the tire manufacturers made the effort to build a special construction tire better suited to the heavy weight characteristics of these bikes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Metz and Pirelli are affiliated with each other. The rumor is that these are nearly the same tire (aside from the tread pattern).

If you are looking for a Sport Touring tire, I've been hearing really good things about Conti Road Attack.

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
Nice supertireguy,

I had a set of Z6s on my Aprilia Futura. Loved them, but I was getting rid of Z3s so that may explain a lot.

I have heard nothing but good stuff about the Z6.

Supertireguy is dead on. I ended up buying the tires becaus my dealer ordered the wrong Z6 for the FJR1300. They do make a "heavy" bike version.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Before everybody gets too worked up, I think the two companies are linked, and have indeed developed different versions of the the same basic chassis. The devil is in the details, and I'm solidly in the Metzler camp (Sportecs), but there is a Pirelli that fits into the same general category, but people just don't seem to like it as well, for some reason.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Etiquette,Ettiquette?Wedon need no stinkin'etiquette!!Just read the above posts!Hangout ,you,llbecome as cynical and loony as the rest of us in no time!!Also helps to be immature with a sick twisted sense of humor!!

·
Registered
466 Posts
On behalf of the the other Chicago members I would like to welcome you and complain that the temperatures here are going to be below freezing all weekend. So you do MSF for UofI or NIU ? I'm going to do a few weekends as a range aide for NIU this season.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Oh, yeah. The topic.

A buddy at work has an FJR and I am passing along his comments - - -

The "B" model is the one recommended by Metzler for the FJR. The difference is that the "B" model has a reinforced multi-ply construction for bikes with gross weights over 935 lbs. The FJR is no where near that heavy but the re-inforced model is recommended to handle the high power output.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Below freezing isn't as bad as the below zero insanity we had last night. Chicago winters suck.

I had Metzlers on lots of my bikes and was loyal to them before finally putting Diablo Stradas on my Futura. I'm not sorry...I think they are among the best tires I've ever used.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.