Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a MOron who puts small engines in bicycles and mocks them up like old motorcycles. Can't remeber who it is. Maybe he can chime in and post a link to pics of his own creations.

·
Registered
19 Posts
"These bikes are built as "collectible historic showpieces", and even though the motors are functional, they are NOT TO BE RIDDEN!

They have: NO brakes, NO clutch, and NO transmission.

So I can sleep at night, you will need to sign a legal document stating you have no intentions of riding the bike...

Price is $100,000 USD (stand included...)"

He's pullin someones chain.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
I saw this website a few weeks ago. You'd *THINK* he could build something that was actually rideable, as he's got the hardest part already goin' on (engine).

That, or sell a batch of engines to those who wish to actually take a spin on a "real" moto.

I certainly can't fault his artistry and eye for design, though. Looks Four-Asterisk'n Good.

·
Registered
956 Posts
He's got another project, a Vincent, no pictures yet though. Click on the "other projects link".

·
Registered
466 Posts
Now that is a guy who loves what he does. Most other folks would rather buy somthing and get down to riding, but to each his own. I bet all his other bikes/cars run like Swiss watches.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
This guy has a point. If he were to try to build something rideable it would cost thousands and thousands of dollars and he'd have to jump through the whole set of oppressive bureaucratic hoops, paying huge fees at every hand to keep armies of useless, overpaid, underworked federal employees on their fat cans amassing their over-generous pensions. This way he sells curios and avoids the tarpit of state and federal regulation.

What would the darned thing look like with all that smog gear hanging off of it anyhow?

·
Registered
61 Posts
"How those guys at West Cost Chopper can build an entire bike in 4 to 5 days is absolutely amazing. I take my hat off to them."

Dude, those guys are building erector sets, not five-star rolling artwork like your E-H.

I wonder if the Hanlons had built something like this with brakes and a tranny if they would be around today shipping 3000 units a year at 15K a crack? Probably. How cool would it be to have a street legal board tracker? Pretty freaking cool.

It just kills me that motorcycle makers except Triumph and Harley aren't making 'updated' retro bikes that actually LOOK LIKE THE OLD BIKES! How about a spot-on repro CB750, Z-1, CBX, or XS-11 with updated internals, brakes and suspension? Or even a CB-77 SuperHawk with a 500cc twin? How about some full-fairing 60's RC/TZ/GS racebikes with bulletproof engines and bubble fairings?

I couldn't write the check fast enough.

Good on ya, mate, I hope you can convert that E-H to saleable units and put 8 zeros in your bank account.

GOB

·
Registered
156 Posts
As another MOron said, the guy is a real jeweler. I can't wait to hear the next part of the story.

One thing I don't understand, or maybe I missed it: If I read correctly, he was making the cylinders out of standard 6061 aluminum, which is all right as it is, but he mentioned nothing about lining the cylinder walls with something like Nikasil, or one of the other lining materials. The plain aluminum would not last long.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.