Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok no red state, blue state comments. No young vs old comments. No liberty of the individual vs the good of the whole. Just a slow shake of the head.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Well said. A few helmets otherwise no protective gear what so ever in the video!

Two factoids jumped out at me from the story.

1) 80% increase in deaths since 2000's repeal of FL's helmet law. (more registrations as well)

2) The story's subject, "Predicting a record year"!

This reminds me, I've been procrastinating on buying a spine protector and some additional Armor for my gear. Seems I've gotta go do some stuff. C'ya....

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup, my next windfall goes to a Cycleport jacket.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Let's see, canceled the helmet law in 2002, more cars on the road, more bikers and bikes!

Take off your helmet and ride in harms way sounds like a recipe for disaster to me!

Here around beautiful Los Angeles, I wouldn't go near a bike without a helmet on, but then I'm and 'Old Fart!' Wonder how I got this way? Being safe and sober, man, and riding for 55 years!!

Live to ride, and Ride to live!

·
Registered
117 Posts
That "80%" figure pops up everywhere. And always out of context.

In fact, Florida motorcycle deaths increased by 151% from 1994 to 2004. But then, registrations increased 136%. So the net result is that deaths per 10,000 registered motorcycles in FL grew from 9.1 in 1994 to 9.7 in 2004, a 7% increase. However, by picking either 1993 or 1995 as a baseline rather than 1994, the fatality rate actually dropped. God is very generous in sharing with us His abundance of data, providing enough variance to prove whatever point we want to make. ;-)

The real story about Florida will come when NHTSA's 2005 data becomes available in a few months. After nipping at California's heels in the race for most fatalities for several years and equaling the Left Coast giant's 432 deaths in 2004, the Sultry Swamp of the South seems poised to take the top box on the podium for '05.

·
Registered
238 Posts
This is nothing more than nature weeding out the stupid.. I recently lost a coworker who argued with me that he was "Safe" on his "Hog" since it wasn't a crotch rocket like my 999. He didn't wear a helmet or any protection. Last weekend he hit some sand going around the corner and he's now with Indian Larry..

·
Registered
780 Posts
Protective clothing will not lessen your chances of having an accident,

it only lessen the extent of injuries when you do have one.

The times I ride with a full face I am always aware that I travel at least 20mph to 30 mph faster on any stretch of road than I do when I don’t wear one. The wind blast in the face makes you keep the speed down a lot.

I now normally wear a DOT approved half and ride slow. I believe avoiding the accident is preferable to riding fast, increasing the chances of having an accident and hoping your gear will be the panacea to keep your body from harm.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I say you make it part of the license test... Ask the person if they feel it is valuable to protect their brain from violent trauma in an accident. If they answer no, you give them a solid bump on the top of the head with a 10lb hammer. If they survive, they can ride without a helmet, but only if they disconnect their brakes first.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Protective clothing will not lessen your chances of having an accident,

So it's ok with you if I ride safely and wear protective gear? Nice try at trying to stir the pot. Isn't there some way we can blame the full face helmet and Clinton?

·
Registered
780 Posts
Re: Protective clothing will not lessen your chances of having an accident,

You can dress like a power ranger anytime you wish. I have never indicated in anyway that the sexually confused should not dress the way they want to.

·
Registered
512 Posts
One other thing...

One other thing they don't take into account is the great weather in both Florida and California, this means that the bikes that are there can be ridden more of the year compared to more northern states.

·
Registered
11,483 Posts
Re: One other thing...

So what does that mean? I ride year-'round, with breaks only for snow/ice "on the road", and temps down in the teens or lower. I live on neither coast, but smack in the middle of the Continent (SW MO).

Granted, most of the others I know that ride have a "threshold" of ~65deg F (sometimes higher), but a little discomfort can be overcome with minimal effort.

·
Registered
11,483 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: How about this squid

bigdx, is your "handle" in the context of Ham Radio?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.