Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
In the 1960’s, a Florida 15-year old with a restricted (learner’s permit) car license could ride a bike less than 5 BHP. At 16 the HP restriction went away. It was perfectly legal to ride any bike of any horsepower without have ever taken any kind of driving test, car or motorcycle. We didn’t need no stinkin’ driver’s ed….

(Incidentally, it was also legal to consume a beer while operating a motor vehicle, as long as you weren’t drunk.)

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
WOW!

BRAVO !!! Great move.. I am sure we see a drop in accidents. If they get a full-face helmet law in place then we will see a drop in fatalities and a reduction in the severity of injuries..

kpaul

sez

Another win for the GMP over the evil GPTB...

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Education was the answer all along. The evil AMA has been promoting this idea for years. Too bad it takes so long to figure out obvious answers. Crashing better doesn't, and didn't, work. Not crashing is the answer, and that happens when riders obtain a skill set through education and experience.

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
Right but you and your GPTB brothers have always been against mandatory training right? Funny to see you jump on the band wagon now.. That's good everyone is allowed to change their mind when they realize they are wrong..

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Re: WOW!

This is a great idea. Question: If you have moved from out of state to Fl and already have the M class endorsement do you still have to go through driver's training for the state?

322.12(5) (a) Effective July 1, 2008, all applicants for a motorcycle endorsement must show proof of completion of the motorcycle safety course.

The way the bill is written doesn't answer that question. In fact, it leads you to believe that you MUST go through the course before you can apply for the endorsement.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Kewl! Just some "basic" training is all that's required to make sure they don't fail to make their first sweeping turn, fail to brake in time (with the front brake), and of course learn HOW to spot hazards. The rest is up to them... but some basic are vital.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
This is good news. A lot of bozos around here have been riding (and crashing) without ever taking the course. And some would simply show up at the DL office once a month and get their temporary permit re-upped so they could ride legally almost indefinitely.

Yse, we used to just buy our bike and ride "back in the day." It was a tough way to learn, I don't recommend it.

I guess by not allowing the registration without the endorsement, they've effectively prevented the dealers from selling bikes to untrained riders. You could probably get away without the endorsement on your license for a long time, but it's pretty hard to ride around without a license plate and not get noticed.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts

That wasn't the question. The question is: When they change the law to enforce the MSF standards will they MAKE M class riders from other states go through the course before issuing the M class for the state of FL.

It's the way the bill is written that has me concerned. It looks like the state DOES NOT take into account the exsisting motorcyclist that may move to the state.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm with you on Max. Did you see him work his way through the crowd this weekend in the second race? I love rooting for the crazy man.

Thread jack over.

We now return you to dead horse item #2 - mandatory licensing.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts

Guess I don't know. I do know that as recently as '05 when I was working at HD, if a customer had the motorcycle endorsement on their out of state license, they could get the endorsement when they got the FL license. Typically states practice reciprocity in things like this, and there's an assumption that if your home state had qualified you for the endorsement, you qualified for the endorsement for FL. This is conjecture, not fact. If you're really interested, I'd be willing to ask someone at the DMV.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts

When I moved from South Dakota to Minnesota last year I had to take the written exams for both my drivers license and for my motorcycle endorsement. It was utter BS since I've had both in MN a few years before.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Well, just hope Florida does a better job with their "department-approved motorcycle safety course" than Georgia has done with their state approved helmet list, that after 20 years we are still waiting on...Betcha it will take them a decade to get the course in place...and this does NOTHING to stop the idiots (both Sport Bike and Cruisers) who don't know what in the hell they are doing at Bike Week and Biketoberfest who are NOT from Florida. Sounds like such a good idea, may be they should implement this for cars too! Damn folks, the majority of bike accidents still involve a car doing something stupid...guess this passed because there are fewer bike riding voters than cage driving voters in Florida...

·
Registered
409 Posts
Re: Short sighted thinking...

this does nothing, squat, nada to the GPTB crowd, they pretty much are already licensed. Gonna put a hurting on young future sport bike riders though...didn't think that far did you...what a surprise. And to think I actually let my subscription cancel when you got banned...my mistake...

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
tsk tsk

So cynical. Everyone knows that government is the savior of mankind and that when a problem is addressed by the govt it is immediately solved. You are engaging in non-mainstream thinking.

It's "Tommy's Holiday Camp" for you until your attitude improves.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Well, it might help things a bit, but in a different way than most people seem to think. Forcing people to go through the trouble of taking a safety course will discourage the dilletantes from buying a bike at all as an impulse purchase.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.