Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re: Fred Rau: Tortilla Flats Ride

Look like a nice ride. Will have to remember it if I end up in the southwest again.

BTW 1st!

·
Registered
180 Posts
I do enjoy riding vicariosly. Good story. One suggestion though. It would be nice if a map of some sort with the route traveled were highlighted or something. Oh and maybe a few pics of some hot babes (never hurts to ask right?).

·
Registered
512 Posts
I live only an hour from Tortilla Flats and ride there at least every other weekend.

So here is the view from a local.

Most new riders turn around and / or stop at Tortilla Flats and miss the best part. But the local sport bike riders know all about what I am about to say.

The road between Tortilla Flats and the end of the pavement is pure sport bike heaven. Sure there is sand and gravel here and there and you have to watch for animals and slow vehicles once in awhile and yes the drop offs can be deadly.

But I have never in my life had such a great sporting road so close to my house. Plenty of different types of corners from very slow speed 10 - 15 MPH posted to a few high speed sweepers I always have a great time on my Buell.

This is a road where I have seen great riders on crap bikes really waste new riders on very sporting hardware. Such as the guy I saw on an old GS500 Suzuki who abosultly spanked a guy on a new Kawasaki ZX-636R. There are some corners there that a great rider on a slower bike can use to just spank a newbie.

Early in the mornings you can ususally find a group riding this road, stop at the turn around about 1/4 mile before the end of the pavement and wait there will always be some social riders stop and want to talk shop.

Plus because the pavement ends on that stretch of the road the traffic is usally very light.

But, the funny thing is the cops out here have been very tolerant as long as this is the only part of the road where you really let it rip.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Almost forgot the directions and other info.

Tortilla Flats is located east of the Phoenix metro area.

Take Hwy 60 east (Hwy 60 is the Superstition Freeway) past Mesa towards Apache Junction. Take the Idaho exit and go north on State Route 88 (I think the signs actually says east but you start out going north). Take a right on SR88 just after Main Street (Apache Trail) and it's 18 miles northeast to Tortilla Flats just past Canyon lake.

See map: http://www.miatadrives.com/miatatrips/az3.jpg

There are some other fun touristy things to do as well. On the way there is a fake yes, that's right fake mining town called Gold Field Gold mine. Still it's a lot of fun and worth a stop. At Canyon lake at the Marina is the Dolly Steam boat. It will take you on a ride back through water filled Canyons that will take your breath away. If you are lucky you can see some of the local wild life.

Yes, and Sean please please bring that new Buell ULYSSES XB12X back here I want to see how it compares to the other bikes in this genre like the BMW R1200 GS :: Kawasaki KLR 650 :: KTM 950 Adventure :: Suzuki V-Strom DL1000 :: and Triumph Tiger.

Let's see which bike is fastest up and down Fish Creek Hill!!

Here's some more links:

History and flash flood info http://www.desertusa.com/magjan98/stories/apachej98.html

http://www.tortillaflataz.com/Tours.asp

The pavement ends and the dirt begins http://www.arizonaroads.com/arizona/az88.html

Hope this helps, see you out there!!

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
A couple things....

First, you say only sportbike riders know this route. Then you say you own a Buell. We all know a Buell is not a real sport bike, so how did you find out about this road??

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Re: A couple things....

....Then you post it on the internet...

Pretty soon you'll have Harleys and Triumphs leaking oil all over the place.

Sounds like a nice ride Fred, I've enjoyed your stories and opinions for years. Between you and that JB hack MO has some potential for some good writing..

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Re: Missing the point....

If you tell everyone how great an area or road is, they'll go there too

That's why we tell everyone the roads are crummy and it rains all the time in Washington

·
Registered
27 Posts
Curious how a wonderful road can show up in the most unusal places. Here is my last surprise.

I live in Dominican Republic and am an enthusiastic member of the HOG Dominicano - www.hogdom.com

First I have to explain that Dominican roads on average are NOT good, potholes anywhere, dirt, crazy cage drivers, stray dogs, donkeys and so on, so we have to sitck to main roads or some 'already documented' backroads, otherwise you run the chance to end up in an Enduro.

About a month ago a friend calls me and asks if I am in for a 400+ mile ride ride (which is a lot considering our road conditions) but of course my answer was Yes.

Next thing I know we are heading towards the frontier with Haiti... overall the ride is fine although we are using a backroad almost parallel to a 'so called' main road... in retrospective I think this one was better. Life was good.

But then we arrive at the last 30+ miles that takes us to the very border with Haiti... The road changed from relatively flat to mountains and twisties complete with pine trees and fresh air.

¡This one was glorious! Turn after turn with some short and long stretches every now and then, it was like this road was created on Food Network.. each element of a great recipe masterfuly selected and placed. No traffic, no potholes, no people, no nothing... just pure biker heaven.

My buddy was scrapping the hell out of the H-D Heritage's floorboards (not uncommon) but next thing I know I am scrapping my Deuce's forward controls every other turn... ¡ that is leaning into a twistie!

The bad thing is once you get to the border you have to turn back. Not that the ride back is less interesting, on the contrary you already know some of it, but the fact that there is no destination (read as: no beer at the destination) makes it a bit of an effort to just go there to ride it. Sportbikers would climax in this road. For those that wanna know this stretch is from Loma de Cabrera to Villa Anacaona.

Ride safe!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Excellent article. I hope the travel articles become a regular feature.

Not only is the article worth its weight in gold, the comments from the local's enhance the story with additional insight into the area.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You mean the truth?

Last time I went through Washington, the roads were crummy, and it did rain the whole trip. I was happy when I made the Canadian border!

·
Registered
512 Posts
Maps are a good idea...

I agree maps are a good idea!

But... you must have missed "stagecoach stop on the route from Mesa, Arizona" when you read the story if you didn't know what state it's in.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Re: Fred Rau: Tortilla Flats Ride

I did it too, but in my car, and from Prescott to Sedona, Jerome (and beyond). Interesting that I saw many Harleys & upright-seating clones, but just ONE sportbike. Looks like sportbikes are the last type you want for actually going anywhere or seeing anything. The most boring road honors might go to Arizona 60 between Quartzite and Wickenburg (on the way from Blythe to Prescott). I was sweating that nothing would go wrong with my car. My wife gave me orders to never travel on AZ 60 again.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.