Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
I have to say Ken, the whole "only" 80 hp deal is a red herring. That's more than enough to get you down the road quickly as you pointed out. Very few people are using much more than that on any bike no matter what they think. 140 or 150 HP @ 12k RPM on a litre bike is basically useless because you're not going to get there on the street without some pretty serious risk to life and limb.

Most of the bikes I've owned have been around 100 hp or less and I've still managed to reach some pretty staggering speeds on the street, the rest is just bragging rights at Starbucks. Unless you're on the track you're just not getting into the area of the powerband that's generating that kind of power. If you are you'd better keep your life insurance up to date, your rellies will need it to plant you.
The Zooker air/oil cooled engines were real monsters. Yeah, they got maybe 95-100 rwhp but they had power and torque everywhere. Only in the fevered dreams of squids are the race replicas any faster in an urban environment. Ken's 1100 should have comparable performance. More than enough to get in trouble but with a stonking wide torque curve.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Truce.

There's not a National Cycle screen that will fit? It has 7/8" bars?

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Glad you are liking the new CB. I had a CB750 for a time in the 80's and loved it. I am 6' even with a 32 in. Inseam. I sat on the new bike in Long Beach and thought it fit fine. In my mind it is a great all rounder. The geometry looks to be good for backroad windy roads an city riding. I am not keen on highway riding and only do it if absolutely necessary. It should have plenty of power to get you by on the freeway no problem. The fit and finish on your bike are stellar. Good luck with it.
I saw one at Honda Salt Lake last weekend. I'd kind've forgotten how small bikes were back then comparatively, with all the giant cruisers and ATs around. It looked about the same size as an early 80s KZ1000, also an excellent do-all bike.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.