Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will soon be parting with 1999 Buell X1 Lightning. I enjoyed the handling of this bike but hate the HD inherited unreliability. I have never heard of reliability issues with BMW motorcycles. So my ? is, if I liked the X1, what model BMW would possibly be to my liking? I have never ridden a BMW and am not familiar with the lineup available.
I presume that BMW has the Honda Goldwing rock solid reliability, without the bulk.
Not looking for a tourer, but something nimble.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is the final drive a still problem on the 2006 and later models? I've found most of the rice rockets ungodly uncomfortable. Hoped BMW would be reliable, figured the ergonomics would be good.

I've had a 1975 GL1000 and 1983 GL1100 Aspencade. Both were bullet proof reliable and low maint. The 75 Gl1000 was my only transportation for a long time. 280,000 miles and the only repair needed was a water pump (dried out seal) and drive shaft. I suppose the drive shaft got thrashed as all my friends were riding crotch rockets and I was pounding the Sled Wing pretty hard riding with them. 1983 Gl1100 needed no repairs at 87,000 miles when I sold it. You can guess I have been beyond digusted with my 99 Buell X1 and 98 HD FLSTS Heritage Springer Softail. If HD built an airplane, I wouldn't fly in it.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
The 2006 and newer BMW final drives are still failing. However, most owners don't have a failure, or (if they do) it happens at very high mileage. BMWs are fine motorcycles but just as any bike, they can break.

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
Is the final drive a still problem on the 2006 and later models? I've found most of the rice rockets ungodly uncomfortable. Hoped BMW would be reliable, figured the ergonomics would be good.

I've had a 1975 GL1000 and 1983 GL1100 Aspencade. Both were bullet proof reliable and low maint. The 75 Gl1000 was my only transportation for a long time. 280,000 miles and the only repair needed was a water pump (dried out seal) and drive shaft. I suppose the drive shaft got thrashed as all my friends were riding crotch rockets and I was pounding the Sled Wing pretty hard riding with them. 1983 Gl1100 needed no repairs at 87,000 miles when I sold it. You can guess I have been beyond digusted with my 99 Buell X1 and 98 HD FLSTS Heritage Springer Softail. If HD built an airplane, I wouldn't fly in it.
You mean like this one?

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
BMWs are about the only shaft drive motorcycle in the entire world that has rear end hub problems. Just consider this when looking at paying the ridiculous overpricing that BMW demands.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
It's not just the final drive. Local BMW riders have had problems with the integrated data bus, and key fob security system.

When you factor in the price premium you pay for these Teutonic marvels, there is just no excuse.

One of my friends had his 1200GS fail in the middle of the desert, and had to ride double out of the middle of nowhere to rent a truck to get it out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Is the final drive a still problem on the 2006 and later models?
the more I hear about new BMWs the more i like my old ones ;)

Hoped BMW would be reliable
no complains here, so far all she cost me was rubbers lube and pads. yes the bike, other she needs more

figured the ergonomics would be good.
Unlike Japanese dealers, beemer would let you demo the bike before you buy it. yes, used ones too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have 81 & 91 Airheads.
The Airheads went to Oilheads in 95.
Mainly for more cooling to allow more HP.
The newer Beemers are a bit more to maintain.
And the newest can not be user svc/maint except for oil changes.
But such is true with autos.
The final drive issues with the older Beemers mostly caused by no svc/maint or contamination. Like auto CV joints when boot torn.
I love my bikes for the ease of maint.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
The final drive issues are overblown. Big thing for a hexhead is got make sure dealer changes "never change" oil at initial service. No excuse for this being overlooked - BMW NA made this mandatory a year or so ago. Should be changed at every Level II service (my opinion) - don't worry - IF you get one, you'll soon find out about Level I & II. If there is ANY confusion on your dealers part about when to change rear drive lube, get a new dealer - FAST!!

As for expense to maintain, not much more than a Japanese bike - my ST1100 Honda cost me near same as my 93 R100RT and current R1200RT. Recall that Ace said same long before me....

BMW did not handle the final drive failures well which is kinda their
"mo" - and has been for a long time. That is the one thing about the propeller folks that gets me hosed.

FYI, quite a few here are passionately not BMW folks. Their info generally is about 1/3rd right - which ain't good enough. I am a BMW fan having owned one for the last 15 yrs, so fair disclosure has been made. BMW's are not perfect and do need regular service. And they are NOT for everyone. And buying a new one is very expensive.

Many, many oilhead and hexhead owners will be quite surprised to hear that there bikes are not owner serviceable. Very surprised. But then they'd have to stop servicing their bikes to check an email from me to check this forum.

Confidential to Seruwaza: code readers for BMW bikes readily available to those of us who know the secret handshake. And Canbus is not as troublesome or fiddly as you keep saying.

Bloviator out - for good

EOM.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Not to muddy the waters, but I had a chance to "sit-test" one of the new Hayabusa's at the IMS.It was nowhere near as uncomfortable as I thought it'd be. I'm 6 ft, with a 32 in inseam. I don't know it the seat-to-peg distance would be cramped, but just jouncing the bike a couple times, it wasn't that bad. The reach to the grips wasn't bad, either.Still wouldn't trade my Sprint ST, though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Guess none of you know the F800S and ST have a smooth, fully reliable, 60K mile warranted belt drive. Yes they do, and with 85+ HP and only about 400 lbs. dry weight, and an under seat gas tank, they have a great low COG, great handling, and sweet for you less than 225 lb riders out there. Did I mention real Brembo brakes, too?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.