Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will soon be parting with 1999 Buell X1 Lightning. I enjoyed the handling of this bike but hate the HD inherited unreliability. I have never heard of reliability issues with BMW motorcycles. So my ? is, if I liked the X1, what model BMW would possibly be to my liking? I have never ridden a BMW and am not familiar with the lineup available.
I presume that BMW has the Honda Goldwing rock solid reliability, without the bulk.
Not looking for a tourer, but something nimble.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is the final drive a still problem on the 2006 and later models? I've found most of the rice rockets ungodly uncomfortable. Hoped BMW would be reliable, figured the ergonomics would be good.

I've had a 1975 GL1000 and 1983 GL1100 Aspencade. Both were bullet proof reliable and low maint. The 75 Gl1000 was my only transportation for a long time. 280,000 miles and the only repair needed was a water pump (dried out seal) and drive shaft. I suppose the drive shaft got thrashed as all my friends were riding crotch rockets and I was pounding the Sled Wing pretty hard riding with them. 1983 Gl1100 needed no repairs at 87,000 miles when I sold it. You can guess I have been beyond digusted with my 99 Buell X1 and 98 HD FLSTS Heritage Springer Softail. If HD built an airplane, I wouldn't fly in it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to everyone for the info. If I do get another bike, I've eliminated a few from the list. There may be another Sled Wing in the future.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts