Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just picked up an old bike in great overall shape with one issue - the front disc brake catches when you apply it.

Specifically, when you start to apply the front brake, you get the smooth take up you normally would, and then you get a sudden grab, followed by the smooth take up again. It doesn't feel like a warped rotor in that its very sudden and short, not undulating like a warped rotor....

I asked the original owner about it and he stated the bike did not do that until he let it sit for a few months while he tackled an electrical problem. It "magically" appeared after the problem was fixed.

Nothing looks wrong on the bike. I plan on replacing the pads and flushing the brake fluid (normal maint.), but I'm not sure this will fix the problem. Is there anything in particular I should pay attention to?

Tanks in advance,

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
What kind of bike is it? How long did it sit? A grabby front disc brake indicates a sticky caliper or crud in the return bleed valve up at the front brake cylinder perch. That or a rodent infestation.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
When you replace the pads, take the caliper apart and clean the piston and the make sure all the passages are clear and clean., clean and put a light coat of neversieze on the pins, get everything as clean and shiny as you can before you put it back together

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
Step #1: Soak Motorcycle for One Week in Pure Ocean Water..............

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
Well yeah, obviously you're going to want to flush the front and rear brakes with warm salt water for a few days before you start.....

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
"Well yeah, obviously you're going to want to flush the front and rear brakes with warm salt water for a few days before you start....."

Uh, i think you mean your gums. Just got back from Ensinada and jeez, am I stuffed with seafood. Gotta love them pharmacias, the druggists really know how to make a person feel at home...hey, looke what I just ordered from Colonel Cox in Alabamie:

MOONSHINE BOTTLE STILLS

·
Registered
956 Posts
As I recall, after consuming a clear liquid, I sat on the floor against a wall locker and watched 3 college football games in row, without moving. I was never in any pain and suffered no undue side effects. His last name was Carpenter, he had returned from leave to Hickory, NC his home and shared...... Good man he was. Never had anything as good since.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
Gotta love them pharmacias, the druggists really know how to make a person feel at home...
Did you get those crumbly blue "percocets" they sell there? I have no idea what they really are, but DAMN that stuff will F U UP!!! Remember HST talking about coming back from MeHeeKo with the giant spansule on his shoe as he cleared Customs? Good times...gooood times.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
"Did you get those crumbly blue "percocets" they sell there? I have no idea what they really are, but DAMN that stuff will F U UP!!! Remember HST talking about coming back from MeHeeKo with the giant spansule on his shoe as he cleared Customs? Good times...gooood times."

You have to find the right Pharmacia to get the smit you desire. I ditched the folks who were busy buying handbags, Mexican glass and other turista stuff and wheeled my char to an out-of-the way Pharmacia and dealt witn a druggist who at first siad "no no, you need a prescription for those" that all changed when I flashed some good ol' yankee green in front of his nose. Got me sone good stuff fer sure. Afer all, I am a cripple now, so hey, I can get away with stuff like that. Mmmmm, 10mg Roche V's by the dozen, along with percocets, dilauded and all kinds of happy pills...ah yes, this is going to be a good year ...

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
I was on a boat, the Carnival Princess, and since I'm stuck in a chair they just waved me through...

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
Hey now some non-faith specifec non-geographical area specific extremist can use that information to smuggle a Gol' Dang Atom Bomb across our borders in a wheelie chair.......

Jeeeze, Guys and Gals...lets give a little though to Homeland Security here, Uncle George and his Neo-Con Freedom Fighters can't do it all !!!

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Ok, ok...I'll kick down. You hafta come to Burbank though, and try to avoid the ticket givers that pose as the Burbank PD.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
Ok, ok...I'll kick down. You hafta come to Burbank though, and try to avoid the ticket givers that pose as the Burbank PD.
Eh, if they're as annoying as them Hari Krishna's tryin' to peddle me paper flowers in downtown Eureka Springs, I'll pass..........

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
In order to fox the fetzer valve you'll need some ball bearings and some 40wt oil. It's all ball bearings now.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.