Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yabadabado.

Yea it's a scooter. It can't compete performance wise. If you have scooter performance you got to be around 3,000 or 4,000 dollars. Even then a ninja 250 is a bargain if you take a closer look. People would buy this thing if it came in around 4,000 . At 6000 it's a rich mans put aside toy.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Let the negative comments begin!

I think its a cool start, electric powered vehicles have full torque at 0 rpm, so if they get the power supply down it will be one hoot of a ride.

But its only a first and a third step in the right direction.

What little I do know about fuell cells is that there are many different chemicals that can be used. I think that a LP based cell would be more practical (just for its availability).

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
You've still got to burn fossil fuel to extract hydrogen.

Imagine what happens when morons crash into fuel pumps or drive off with the hose and ground wire still attached.

Rear end collision?

"Oh, the humanity!!!!!"

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Looks like a 1978 Katana prototype.

Sigh, ohhh the problems producing, distributing & storing hydrogen.

See Pat Bedard for article after article after article on the bottom line problems.

While it sounds so good, I won't be holding my breath. As for diesels, no breath holding there either just yet. Again see C&D for recent in depth look at diesel problems with emissions and the way cool (and way expensive) VW Touraeg V-10 diesel. It is already off the N American mkt re upcoming emissions tightening for diesel.

For other opinions on the whole thing, Forbes.com should have Jerry Flint's columns archived. Flint is a life long motorhead (well - car guy) and flinty eyed stock analyst. See him for a breath of reality.

Don't get the idea I'm against this stuff. I'd love to see technology give us more efficiency, power, lighter weight, lower emissions, enhanced durability, etc., etc. Based on what I read, it looks like it will be a LOT later rather than sooner for consumer transportation. Better bet: stationary fuel cells powered by natural gas first for commercial apps then for homeowners.

Saying adios to big electrical plants (and expensive, troublesome & easy damaged grids) with big time captial costs, heavy point source emissions, need for coal, etc, would be a fine thing in the long run though hugely disruptive in the short run for our 401's, employment, etc.

Here is hoping I way to pessimistic on this one.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Petro based diesel vs biodiesel emissions (much cleaner)

Biodiesel is the only alternative fuel to have fully completed the health effects testing requirements of the Clean Air Act. The use of biodiesel in a conventional diesel engine results in substantial reduction of unburned hydrocarbons, carbon monoxide, and particulate matter compared to emissions from diesel fuel. In addition, the exhaust emissions of sulfur oxides and sulfates (major components of acid rain) from biodiesel are essentially eliminated compared to diesel." diesel getting a undeserved bad reputations

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
I'm just wondering where the Governator is going to get the money to build this "Hydrogen Highway". Maybe he should tax all those annoying celebrites who talk the talk but when push comes to shove expect everyone else to pay for these pie-in-the-sky schemes.

He could just place intakes at the Capitol in Sacramento and he could have a "Methane Highway" right away.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Re: The Hydrogen Hoax

Hey just do a google search. Plenty of other scientific studies that say the same thing including the EPA. Biodiesel is the way out of our enery mess ... Too bad we have an oil man in the White house.. The U.S farmers are the most productive producers in the world and biodiesel can be made out of such "trash" crops as rapeseed "Canola".... Do you own research on the subject and see if you agree with me....

·
Registered
124 Posts
Re: Petro based diesel vs biodiesel emissions (much cleaner)

The problem is that Biodiesel is also close to a net wash in fuel use. Once you add in the fuel to grow the crops, transport them, make the Biodiesel you are close to break even.

Using old cooking oil works well but there is only so much of that to go around. Hydrogen is NOT an energy source. It is an energy transportation/storage system. I think we should go for gas turbines. If it will burn you can put run a turbine on it... Just kidding...

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.