Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
Stock '04 FZ6; 42-44mpg in Winter, 48-51mpg Summer (depending on the punishment it's getting).

One thing I found that helped my Winter mileage more than anything was to block-off half the radiator. If the ambient is below ~60deg F, the coolant won't reach a high-enough temp to come out of cold-start enrichment. Hence, I was getting ~36mpg ('til I figured it out).

Of course, the crappier gas is in all the pumps during Winter, so mileage goes-down no-matter what. But you can do things to help.

·
Registered
207 Posts
it's simple. every morning you purchase a new gsx-r750, and every evening you sell it for a thousand or so less than you bought it for (to ensure a quick sale). you can make millions using this system.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I get...

I get the following:

48 to 50 on my 2004 Buell XB12S

35 to 40 on my 2004 Honda Gold Wing

I'm a big guy 6'2" 240 pounds and ride slightly faster then traffic with a get ahead of the cars takeoff at the lights and a cruise of 75 to 80 mph on the freeway.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
I get 34mpg from my 1980 GL1100 but I keep finding the cap off when I open the faux gas tank to fill up. Riding two-up over Parleys Summit a lot doesn't help much either.

I get 38mpg from the ZRX1100 but there's a weird problem with the throttle opening wide a lot that I can't seem to solve.

The Magna's performance is measured in parts replaced per month rather than mpg. You could say it gets infinite mileage since I haven't burned any gas since last September and the timing chains are hanging out of the engine block.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I work from home now, have no reason to go anywhere since my wife doesn't work so she does all the errands, and rarely go on scheduled rides (a few a year).

That said, I burn about 2-3 tanks per week on my sv650s. I don't bother calculating mileage because it just reminds me of money wasted, although it's cheaper than a psychiatrist, unfortunately it seems to require a lawyer though.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I get about 42mpg commuting 40-50 mile round trip daily with the Concours. Today is going to be the first time I've ever put more than $20 worth of gas in a bike.

·
Registered
179 Posts
06 H-D V-Rod Nightrod .. don't know? all I do know is that every 100 miles I need to get gas! 3.5 gal tank. I beat the crap out of the bike so I'd say mid 30's

05 Duc 999 . maybe low 30's. I'm always whipping the bike around so I wouldn't know what the average mileage is.

02 H-D 883R. mid 40's Even if I TRY to go fast it won't. so this is the cruise the road bike.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Commuting mileage: 82 XJ650R - 54mpg, 93 GSX1100G – 44mpg, 04 VN750 - 56mpg. Older CB750A used to get about 40, 85 VN700 got about 50. Never kept any records on the other bikes. Commute to work is about 90 miles round trip (on lovely NJ roads, Route 9 and Route 18, lots of lights). 6 foot, 220lbs. Juvenile moments tend to lower those numbers dramatically.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
Around 41 on the Bandit with a K&N stock replacement filter, and 36 or so on the jetted-pipped and airboxed T 100. Hauling my porky butt around is like riding double all the time and I don't baby either one so I suppose that's why I don't do better.

Beats the hell out of 18 in the Explorer or 12 in the Range Rover, plus the Rover likes 92 octane so it's a pretty spendy ride.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.