Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I fill up my tank with out spilling gas all over the place? It seems like every time I fill up, gas gets all over my bike, which sucks because it ruins my paint, and gas gets all over me as well. I love riding my bike, but I hate it when it comes time to fill up my tank. Does anyone have some good advice?

·
Registered
553 Posts
Here are a couple of things I've learned:

keep the nozzle pointed skyward until it's RIGHT OVER the mouth of the tank... 90% of the time there's just enough gas left in the nozzle from the last pump to douse the tank

don't rest the nozzle against the mouth of the tank but keep it as vertical as possible

don't squeeze the handle all the way

if there's a vapor guard on the nozzle use one hand to hold the handle and the other to hold the vapor guard back so that you can see how much space is left in the tank

finally, wait a full five mississippis before pulling the nozzle out after you've let go of the handle

·
Registered
956 Posts
What?

Before I can offer an answer I need to know what it is that you are doing to spill fuel. Please describe what it is that you do now.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
My BWM's nozzle restrictor likes to spray gas all over if I leave the nozzle stuffed into the tank. So I follow all of Vermicious's suggestions and while holding the vapor guard as far out of the way possible I set the tip of the nozzle on the edge of the nozzle restrictor, leaving room to see in the tank and more air space to vent. Though some spastic pumps you cant win with.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.