Motorcycle Forums banner

Get Out And Ride Pic Challenge

4K views 41 replies 6 participants last post by  Easy Rider 2 
#1 ·
Let's play a game. We'll have a thread, this thread, where the idea is to motivate people to get out and ride --get those bikes out of the garage and out from under those tarps behind the back deck and actually use them. It's a cross between "show us a pic of your ride" and a SCAVENGER HUNT.

The way this seems to work on other forums is that somebody posts a challenge and says "take a picture of your bike with this or that thing in the background."
Somebody will take such a photo, a fresh photo made as a response to the challenge, either on their next ride they were planning anyway, or maybe they'll go out and make a special trip just to get that pic. Once they post that new pic in the thread, they wait for their picture to be acknowledged as a winner that complies with the challenge as specified.

Then they get the privilege of naming the next challenge for others to try to meet. It should be something that requires, for most people, leaving their own property, riding out of their own neighborhood, their subdivision. But it shouldn't be something that is unavailable for lots of people. We don't expect this to be a tough challenge that would be impossible to meet unless you rode ridiculously long distances. For example, saying "Your bike by the ocean" would exclude too many people who don't live near the coast. "Your bike by a river" is much more do-able. If a Challenge is posted and nobody gets such a pic within 2 weeks, that Challenge is over, dead, and the poster of the failed challenge must pick a different and EASIER one. Keep in mind that Motorcycle.com has registered users from all over the world, and thus there are great differences in geography, even the seasons. So keep that in mind if you issue a challenge that's based on weather. There's no rule against it, but just keep that issue in mind.

The standard rules for any post on this website about no illegal activity apply, and nothing dangerous. Although admittedly we have to overlook parking violations because often people will park their bikes in a place where it's not legal to park --just for a few seconds while they step off the bike and take the photo.
No taking these pictures while you're moving, because so few people have the camera equipment to do that safely, and we don't want anybody fumbling with their phone camera one-handed with the other hand on the handlebar and throttle. People can park their bike, get off it, and snap the picture,

or they can stop and do "a selfie" while they're seated on the motorcycle, idling in neutral. As long as the picture shows part of the bike, proving they took this photo while riding a motorcycle or trike , that's enough.

And it's got to be photos that were taken after the challenge was issued. If somebody issues a challenge of "your bike by a church with a tall steeple" you can't go back into your photo collection and find one from months ago. You need to go out and create a new photo specifically to answer that challenge.

See less See more
#5 ·
There's no need to post a picture when you issue a challenge. You can just describe the thing with words.

The pic Is needed when you complete that challenge.

OK, I'll challenge everybody here to get a picture of your motorcycle with a creek, stream, navigable canal (1),
or river in the background.

Optional- If the river or creek has a name,
please tell us the name of it.

Footnote (1) -- I grew up only a few miles away from part of the Erie Canal, and I've always wanted to go back there and ride either a bicycle or motorcycle along those little roads and paths next to it.

#8 ·
There's no need to post a picture when you issue a challenge. You can just describe the thing with words.

The pic Is needed when you complete that challenge.

OK, I'll challenge everybody here to get a picture of your motorcycle with a creek, stream, navigable canal (1),
or river in the background.
I'll try to help get this kicked off.

Ohio River, Leavenworth Indiana. 62/66 along the river are fantastic routes in the southern part of the state.

Water Sky Tire Wheel Plant

#7 · (Edited)
It's OK to intentionally scout-out a possible location to grab a picture of the challenge thing ahead of time.

Here, I've used the map feature on my smart phone to look for small seldom-traveled roads that cross rivers or creeks near me.

I'm looking for the kind of road where I could park and get a picture without endangering myself for blocking another motorist.

I think I found one --although I don't recall if I've ever driven over this bridge in my car and I can't visualize what it looks like.

But I think I'll ride my Honda Shadow out there in a few days, if nobody else snags a picture of their bike by their local creek or river before then. (Which would be the best scenario-- that somebody other than me answers the challenge that I issued, and gets their picture posted.)
Product Organism Font Map Slope

#10 ·
Scott 7d, YES, you nailed that challenge!

So now that it's confirmed you satisfied the requirements for the kind of picture the challenger called for, you get to name the next one.

Include a photo if you want to --and it could be an old photo, or something you snagged off the Internet (just an illustration to show what you're asking the rest of us to find.)

#12 ·
Good challenge!
So now the rest of us, should keep an eye out for a state or federal park sign on our next ride.

Or we can do a ride just for the purpose of snagging a pic... but it has to be a new picture that you just took after Scott issued this challenge.

His Yellowstone Park photo is an old one pulled from his archives, his photo collection, but whoever answers this challenge has got to take a new photo. Which means, if you live in the USA or Canada or Europe, you'll be getting out and riding that bike in the cold, on or after January 14, 2023.

#14 ·
I didn't forget about this thread and I haven't given up on the idea of taking a photo that satisfies the current challenge of
"a state park or National Park." My black Honda Shadow with this park's sign in the background.

Georgia's Don Carter State Park is only about 25 or 30 miles from me. I'm gonna try to ride out to that park this weekend. But answering the challenge is first come first served. So if anybody else can get to a state or national park before me ---go for it!

#16 ·
Great park pic.
Ok, I know of 2 good barbecue places that I've been to. My "favorite one" is no more, it actually closed and went out of business in 2021, but my second favorite one in my town is available to get a photo with.

Then in another town about 40 miles away from me (where my brother lives) he's got an awesome barbecue place close to him.

#18 ·
If the pics above are acceptable and complete the last challenge,
I'll say the Next challenge is:

YOUR BIKE BY Some outdoor military hardware: canon, armored vehicles, aircraft etc.

Must is on outdoor display, either intended for the public to view it or it just happens to be parked in a place where the public can see it and photograph it.

#20 ·
Well, this challenge had timed-out.
Expired after 2 weeks, un-met.

Per the rules, I have to name another thing to get a photo with, and it must be EASIER.

(P.S. The military equipment challenge wouldn't have been difficult for me ---I have a National Guard Armory 5 miles away, a high school military academy with several armored fighting vehicles 15 miles away, and an army-navy surplus store with a Huey helicopter in its parking lot 20miles away.)

NEW PHOTO CHALLENGE:
Your bike at a Post Office.
(An official government or USPS one, or the equivalent in whatever country you inhabit. Not a private package delivery storefront. )

#21 ·
Well, I was going to stop by my local post office during my first ride of this spring today .
The weather is beautiful about 72 and mostly sunny. I was gonna show y'all how it's done get a picture of my bike in front of the post office.... but.... guess what?

My bike started overheating and spitting steam and liquid coolant. So I'm going to head home rather than take even a 6 mile detour to & from the Post Office.

#22 ·
Ok, the POST OFFICE photo challenge timed-out too. More than 2 weeks, and nobody got a picture of their motorcycle at any national post office.

A NEW AND EASIER CHALLENGE (considering that the purpose of this thread is to encourage people to get out and ride)--

Your bike in front of whatever grocery store or supermarket is your favorite, and that you often shop at.

#24 ·
Wheel Tire Sky Fuel tank Automotive lighting
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

U.S. Post Office (Cumming, GA)

and my local Ingles grocery store.

But these are just examples, both taken today when I was on the way back from a CMA (Christian Motorcyclists' Association) prayer meeting.

The grocery store or supermarket challenge is still active for anybody else to complete.