Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Hyosung GT-250. With it came a Certificate of Origin instead of a title. Story goes, a Sheriff bought it and pulled strings to get a tag on it while he rode it. An acquaitance bought it from him and received the CO. Now I own the bike. All I have for it is a CO with no dealer name or dealer number on it. Does anyone have any clue how I can get a title for my bike? Which just so happens to be my only mode of transportation.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Where do you live? Was the bike imported from Korea with the proper DOT HS7 & EPA form filled out (box 1A checked, along with the data certified box that says it complies with all applicable USA federal regulaitons?). If that's the case, take it to the local DMV, have it scheduled for an inspection at your local Highay Patrol (or state troopers) office and get your title and tags. If it was imported without any DOT or EPA form you might as well crush it, or make it into a lamp.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went by the tag office here in my county (Troup, GA) and was told the CO needed a dealer name and number on it. i was told that it was purchased from a dealer just never registered because the sherrif had his connections.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
I went by the tag office here in my county (Troup, GA) and was told the CO needed a dealer name and number on it. i was told that it was purchased from a dealer just never registered because the sherrif had his connections.
Drive your butt up to Gwinnett County and show up at Hyosungs US Headquarters in Norcross (off Jimmy Carter Blvd) and take them the CO and tell them you need a duplicate MSO so you can get the bike registered. Should take about 10 days for that to show up. Make sure you have a BILL OF SALE completely filled out. If the SO deputy had a tag on it try to get a copy of the registration card and a statement from the SO that he never titled the bike but managed to get the registration for tags. Good Luck!
Kirk
Call me if you need further help 800-571-7433. I deal with similar crap all the time.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
In future don't listen to sellers bull **** story about why they don't have paperwork, remember rule number one...no title or leinholder, personnaly verified by you, equals no deal no matter how good it is. The paperworks HAS to be in order, no out of state lost title can't find but I'll call my brother because I think he has it bull****.....

Either clear title in hand or a loan number that you call yourself and ensure that loan is for that vehicle and no other encumberences or else walk, simple as that.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Yeah.

In future don't listen to sellers bull **** story about why they don't have paperwork, remember rule number one...no title or leinholder, personnaly verified by you, equals no deal no matter how good it is. The paperworks HAS to be in order, no out of state lost title can't find but I'll call my brother because I think he has it bull****.....

Either clear title in hand or a loan number that you call yourself and ensure that loan is for that vehicle and no other encumberences or else walk, simple as that.
Two clear titles in hand is even better!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah i learned now on buying vehicles. this was my first vehicle purchase and i didn't have a ride so i was real excited. hopefully i will be able to go to a hyosung dealer and get something done. the way it seems, i can get a hyosung dealer to say they sold it to me by putting their numbers and names on the CO. we'll have to see.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Here in VA, this wouldn't be a problem. Just fill your name in the "buyer" field.

Walk out of DMV office with title.

If they're sticklers, just look up an out of state Hyosung dealer, and fake a dealer number.

They just want your tax money, after all.

It's been a while, but I seem to remember GA being fairly easy about this stuff. Not like CA or MA.

If it really becomes a problem, you could always pay a dealer to properly fill it out. Find a small non-branded shop that sells lots of used bikes.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
Here in VA, this wouldn't be a problem. Just fill your name in the "buyer" field.

Walk out of DMV office with title.

If they're sticklers, just look up and out of state Hyosung dealer, and fake a dealer number.

They just want your tax money, after all.

It's been a while, but I seem to remember GA being fairly easy about this stuff. Not like CA or MA.

If it really becomes a problem, you could always pay a dealer to properly fill it out. Find a small non-branded shop that sells lots of used bikes.
Well Washington isn't, thay're downright anal about paperwork, if you have used parts on a vehicle like a home-built or restoration not only do you need a reciept for the parts but the WSP wants to see the reciept from the person you bought the parts from showing that they bought them legally, otherwise you get a green Tag instead of a title and the WSP has a 3 year lien on the vehicle. F'n ridicules.

I doubt if this guy would be able to license this Hyosung in Wa. on a CO and no title.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I understand this thread is old. but the Certificate of Origin states that you own the bike fully. when you register it with the state you are giving half of ownership of your property to the state which is why they can charge you taxes and force you to use plates.. The sheriff who you got the bike from obviously was smart enough when he bought it to request the Manufactures Certificate of Origin. he would never have to register the bike or pay taxes on it.. the tax on your state registered cars is a rental fee you pay to them because they own half of your property.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
when you register it with the state you are giving half of ownership of your property to the state which is why they can charge you taxes and force you to use plates..the tax on your state registered cars is a rental fee you pay to them because they own half of your property.
I'm surprised they allow internet connections on your compound. You do realize the NSA can use your computer monitor to scan your brain and read your thoughts, don't you? Unless you're wearing a cranium cover molded with thin sheets of non-ferrous metal. That's what I do, drives them crazy...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm surprised they allow internet connections on your compound. You do realize the NSA can use your computer monitor to scan your brain and read your thoughts, don't you? Unless you're wearing a cranium cover molded with thin sheets of non-ferrous metal. That's what I do, drives them crazy...
Make fun if you wish. But if you did a little research you can find that while you think it sounds "crazy" it is quite true. and sarcasm only shows how ignorant you are.

So go back to watching Glen Beck or what ever main stream liar you listen to and continue to think you are sane one.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Make fun if you wish. But if you did a little research you can find that while you think it sounds "crazy" it is quite true. and sarcasm only shows how ignorant you are.

So go back to watching Glen Beck or what ever main stream liar you listen to and continue to think you are sane one.
Wow! Glenn Beck is mainstream, eh? Along with Art Bell, I presume?

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
Wow! Glenn Beck is mainstream, eh? Along with Art Bell, I presume?
Isn't he giving his radio show from the Grave now............?

·
Registered
7,117 Posts

You seriously believe that registering your bike and getting a license plate means you have given the State 1/2 ownership of your bike? What, does some State official show up every other week and take their turn? Do they have to gas it up when they bring it back?

I don't have to "research" anything; I did tag and title work when I sold bikes, and there isn't anything in the vehicle documentation that remotely resembles what you're describing. The paperwork for tag and title serves four simple purposes: it establishes ownership of the vehicle, it documents liens against the vehicle, it puts a uniform identifier on the vehicle so it can be tracked by the police or other agencies (we call them "License Plates" in Florida), and it creates an mechanism for the government to collect taxes.

As for Glen Beck, he is generally considered a conservative and a Libertarian. I'm a Democrat who voted for Obama...so your theory on my politics is about as far out of whack as your theory on property rights.

Tell you what, provide a reference...from any reasonably authoritative source, Lexis/Nexis, your State Constitution, ect. that substantiates your thesis, and I'll wrap my head in tinfoil and take a picture that will be my avatar on MO for the next six months.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.