Motorcycle Forums banner

Getting Rid of Drunk Drivers

11K views 51 replies 34 participants last post by  ptschett 
#1 ·
If we're not supposed to drink and drive how come bars have parking lots?

#27 ·
I think this idea is awsome. If you are stupid enough to do this then you deserve what you get. I can't think of how many kids lives have ended earley because someone convicted of multiple count 's of DWI stikes again. If you want to drink and drive there is a new penalty. :) But we don't want to inconvienience someone with a drinking problem. Im sure the Libereral's will be up in arms about this one.

#29 ·
In Norway the punishment is 2 years loss of driving license, one months pay in fine (amount pre tax) (so if your'e well paid its a lot of money). This is for breaking the 0.2% limit. Exceed 0.5% and also spend three weeks in jail.

We norwegians do drink (a lot) at bars, but wery few people dring & drive. Those who do are usually people who have an alcohol problem/adiction.

#30 ·
Most of your average middle age out of shape drinking drivers wouldn't have to worry about it for long, they'd have a coronary and keel over within a week.

I think drunk driving should be a felony myself, along the lines of aggrivated assault and subject to the three strikes law.

#31 ·
Re: impound the car, force them to walk home

I agree, confiscate the car and auction it off to pay for the cost of prosicution. No plea bargains, no "my spouse needs the car for work". ***** 'em up the ass, if they want to jepordize my life and the lives of everyone around them they can buy a bicycle or ride the bus.

#32 ·
The guy that hit me on my Trophy was on a suspended license. License suspension is a joke, do you really think it's going to stop some selfish ***** from driving?

The answer is to confiscate the vehicale and sell it. They do property siezures for drug trafficing, why not drunk driving? If you want get drunk then stay home or use a designated driver or call a cab. A glass of wine or a drink with dinner isn't going to get you a dui, anymore than that and you don't belong on the road.

#34 ·
What about driving sober? then? why is that acceptible? that is doing something that threatens to harm others... why is it ok ? who drew this line?

- just pointing out your logic is pretty flawed as it would put driving on the unacceptible side of your line...

#37 ·
The system sucks

I went to traffic court for speeding over 100 mph, of which I pleaded guilty to and apologized to the court. Despite my very clean record, I was fined 1g, got two points on my license, and have to attend a stage 3 traffic school.

The guy that went before the judge before me crossed the red light and caused someone's DEATH as a result -- fine: $135 (reduced from $350 without even asking).

SHeeeeeeeeyIIIT!

#39 ·
As with all crimes comitted in this country there is a strong emphasis on the severity of the punishment. Politicans line up to vote for mandatory this and that every time a crime makes the headlines. While this post sounds like an urban legend in the making (the boot camps "in Europe or somewhere") I believe crimes are reduced by a strong police presence. Criminals aren't concerned with the level of the punishment; they are more likely to be put off by the presence of an officer. Do you try speeding when you see an officer in your mirrors?

#40 ·
Re: Calling BMWVWW

It got too boring seeing the same sheeple spend too many bytes justifying their greed-based need to override other people's right to self-determination.

I'm in SoCal doing fun things. The bike sure wheelies easily at sea level compared to the usual 4500-10000 ft altitudes I'm used to.

The gas formulation really sucks though. I lost power after the first fillup of SoCal gas compred to the stuff I had in the tank from Utah. How do SoCal people stand it?

#42 ·
Yo,

In the words of Joe ****er

Cry Me A [frickin'] River

Drunks threaten and ruin the lives of thousands every year and you want us to feel sorry for 'em?

A glass of wine won't push you over the limit, so feel free to have A glass with dinner. But anymore than that and your a potential danger on the road.

And yes: my vote is to shoot 'em in the head on the side of the road.

#45 ·
Re:Most DUI`s are first timers.T`aint so,amigo.

Almost all DUI`s are "Problem Drinkers."

If you are of the belief that you are controling

your drinking,you ar by definition a problem drinker.Normal social drinkers do NOT think about CONTROLING their booze intake.

The only thing first time is that they got cought

for the FIRST time.

#48 ·
So 40,000 were killed in road accidents, and in half of the cases a drunken driver was involved. And from that we can conclude we cold potentially save 20,000 lives? Bollocks. I am all for sober riding but if you ride after couple of beers and that idiot on the phone in a minivan pulls suddenly in front of you giving you zero chance, hey its "an alcohol related traffic accident".

- cruiz-euro

#50 ·
Yep, almost every experiment, on either humans or animals, indicates that prompt reward and punishment is far more effective than later, more severe punishment or later, bigger reward, when the immediate memory has faded away.

But there is also the natural tendency (we all have it) to impose punishment, which makes the person who imposes it feel good, whether it has any lasting effect of not. Of course, I just left myself wide open to accusations of "soft on crime", of "bleeding heart liberal", or related slogans, didn't I?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.