Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
The Toad
17,449 Posts
You bet...

We were at the Nato base in Napoli for a B&M Div get blasted and play football game one time. After the game we went to some little tav on the base and finished off the place, turns out they had Olympia beer there. We bought two sixxers each to go and just wandered around the base when we came across this Officer Garden Party thing, we sat out in the dark on this hillside and listened to the orchestra watching all this full dress brass and purty girls all in diamonds and stuff...It was kind of a trip, like the scene in Heartbreak Ridge where they're at the social. we sat up there and smoked some hash and drank our beers and just checked them out. If we were Bader-Mienhoff or Red Brigades we could have knocked off the entire Nato brass at one pop with a couple of RPG's and AK's.
... except the RPGs would probably ended up being lobbed towards Egypt and you'd have shot off your own feet with the AKs instead after all that beer and hash.

Makes you realize just how incompetent the military is. Fortunately for us the terrorist types are even more incompetent.

When I was in Nam a buddy and I on a day off took all our cameras and hitchhiked up Monkey Mountain. We met two guys in a truck who were guards at the TOP SECRET Hawk missile base that no one knew about. We told them that we were photographers for the Navy Times. They took us on base and got their guard dogs out and gave us an attack demo that we dutifully photographed. Then they took us around the base and showed us the TOP SECRET Hawk missiles. We told them to keep an eye on the Navy times and we beat feet out of there. I'll bet those two guys combed through every inch of the paper for years after that. Lucky for them we weren't with the Navy Times since they might not have fared so well if the Nav had found out that they would have let two real photographers for the Navy times on an actual TOP SECRET Hawk missile base. LOL!

Maybe we can understand better now why we lost that particular war. The NVA were just slightly less incompetent than the US Nav apparently.

·
The Toad
17,449 Posts
Yawn.

Ah, Naples, I was pretty much the same way, only hung out in the squid bars when I had to. The No.1 Piano Bar was the most infamous for that stuff (getting into fights with jarheads, etc).

I'd usually get a few shipmates together from corrosion control (the crud crew) and we'd take a train, or bus to parts not well visited by the average squid.

Me too about looking for exotic cars/bikes. About the most exotic bike I saw, was the Moto Gizzu Falcone that the Carabeneri rode. Exposed flywheel and all.

I remember that place built under the aquaduct. Ah, the sea stories could just go on and on...
I'm glad I wasn't in a theater as boring as the Med. You Bird Farm guys have been putting me to sleep.

·
The Toad
17,449 Posts
You forgot....

I really should come clean. I was Army, not USN. Retired in '05 after getting recalled from the reserves for a year and a half.

I worked for the Navy (Dahlgren, VA) 1995-1999, and got to spend some time on cruisers (Monterey, Normandy).

Love reading your stories, though.
.... to post your real picture. I thought I'd help you out.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.