Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Better to ride than not - and if that means electrics, so be it. Personally, my Aerostich Roadcrafter and whatever layers I feel like using are warm enough for my commute down into the 20's on the SV650. Does that make me milktoast or not?

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Riding a motorcycle should not be as dangerous and exhausting as a polar expedition. Wear the gear.

·
Registered
125 Posts
What's a heated seat?

-Zenjim in Los Angeles

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
all's i know is when i remembered the bmw i was on had a heated seat one freezing morning in wyoming and switched it on, it was single best physical sensation i have ever experienced bar none.

·
Registered
285 Posts
One pissed off soggy milktoast!!!

The implication that I am less than tough and rugged makes me sad, frustrated, angry and a bunch of other emotions that I need to work thru.... I have already scheduled Extra sessions with my therapist, and find myself so distracted that I can't even enjoy my most favorite relaxer, a Venti double shot lapafrapamochachino low fat, half cream, with a dash of cinnamon....

I mean, I wear black leather for crying out loud!

I'm tough, damn it!

Actually, I just live in South Texas, where I don't need any of that crap on the coldest day of the year. What I need is a water cooled vest and long johns and a dehumidifier for the spring, summer, and fall seasons!

And, by virtue of being a Native Texan, only a fool or an ignoramus would call into question the mettle of my character....

"Never ask a man if he's from Texas. If he is, he'll tell you. If he's not, you don't want to embarras him."

Oh, yeah, did I mention we're a modest bunch?

Rob

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'll ride into the mid 20s without electrics. After that, it's hard to put on enough layering to keep warm enough to go any sort of distance without losing too much dexterity to safely ride. Even in the mid 20s though, without electrics, you're going to need to stop and thaw out your hands about every 100 miles or so...

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
Re: One pissed off soggy milktoast!!!

Now what was it about steers and queers I heard? Wasn't that Texas?

And why Texans have their names on the backs of their belts?....

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
Heated handgrips are nice, other than that I don't ride below freezing if I can avoid it and my nifty Aerostitch suit and Triumph Explorer goretex gloves, coupled with an adequate layer of insulating subcutaneous fat keep me warm as toast. Somtimes I wear a fleece jacket under my suit and a wool scarff if it's particularly nasty out, but overall if it's above freezing and not monsoon rain the riding gear I have is good enough.

·
Registered
11,483 Posts
Re: One pissed off soggy milktoast!!!

The reason Cadillac doesn't put hubcaps on their cars anymore - Texans kept stealin 'em for belt-buckles.........

;^D

·
Registered
11,483 Posts
The toast my Waitress always brings with my bacon and eggs is usually soggy and cold......

·
The Toad
17,451 Posts
Ah yes. The "Good Old Days". When ships were made of wood and men were made of iron. Who needs all this pansy electric heating stuff? Who needs our modern times with all these weakling conveniences? Let's go back to days of yesteryear... before all this modern complication. Let's go back to the simpler times.... before indoor plumbing, novocaine and penicillin. Days our grandparents remember fondly. When you might die from a toothache and half of your chidren didn't live past 5 years old.

As long as we skip the 70's on the way back I'm cool with it. The thought of seeing sarnali2 wearing a blue leisure suit with a yellow butterfly collar and hearing him say, "That's a stone groove man" would be cruel and unusual punishment.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
No Way Mon. I was Defending the Frontiers of Freedom and Keeping the World Safe for Democracy with mscruddy during the Disco Daze... I did have a shiny black polyester disco shirt, wide leg cream colored polyester slacks and zipper boots for cuttin' the rug though.

Before that it was Dirt Bikes, Levi's, flannel shirts and Jungle Boots with hair halfway to my ass.

·
The Toad
17,451 Posts
Oh I see. You are worldly wise and can say "What's your name, baby" and "Where are the bedrooms?" in 6 different languages.

·
Registered
64 Posts
So far this winter, I've managed to fold my pasty 145lb, 6ft self onto my bike and ride down to about 18F without any kind of electric gear, usually for hour long journeys each way.

And I'm Lord High Pantiwaist of the Duchy of Sissyland when it comes to the choice between pain and comfort.

I didn't even see a single other bike on the road today.

Every biker who isn't out there because of the weather or who needs electrics is therefore less manly than me and ergo an inveterate pansy :-D

Seriously though, I should probably get heated grips.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Absolutely. I stupidly wore my vented race gloves on a 20 mile errand the other day through the rain. By the time I was home, my hands were some confused combination of extreme pain and completely numb. I could barely pull in the front brake. Heated grips, here I come.

1 - 20 of 120 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.