Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

Starting to get cooler. Not ready to put up the Classic for the year yet.

Curious as to what everyone is doing to stay warm.

1. Heated gloves- Gerbing or Widder?
2. Heated grips- chuck the gloves?
3. Pockets are out of the question; hard to ride in traffic with hands in pockets! Looks dumb, too!

What's your opinions?

Thanks,

Yngwie

·
Registered
540 Posts
I find heated grips to be the most practical solution. I've used heated gloves, but found them to be kind of awkward, there may be better solutions than what I used. Heated grips are always with you, don't affect the operation of the bike, and if halfway decent will warm your hands a bit even with heavy gloves on, and are wonderful with a lighter pair.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
I always found that if you keep your body core warm with proper clothing or a heated vest, your hands won't get cold. Keep your head and chest warm and the rest of your body will follow with minimum protection.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
When the office gets too cold, I step outside for a few minutes.
Still 85 in ATL- What's the high today Ken?

Yeah, that heated grips thing- got 'em and live in Atlanta. Only had to use them once. They heated up sooooo much that I HAD to turn them off half way through the ride home.

I ride with Alpinestars Drystar glove for the winter. In a word- EXCELLENT. In more than one word- Great value for the buck.

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
Still 85 in ATL- What's the high today Ken?
Temps have plummeted from the mid 90's to the high 80's. You can tell it's Fall here, as the colors are changing on the license plates as all the Yankees flee South. I blame the cold snap on all the snowbirds opening their car trunks and letting out the frigid Northern air.

Heading to Biketoberfest next week, I'm hoping it stays nice. Some years it's awful, others it's perfect.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Have fun in Daytona. I was asked to come down and work as a vendor for one of the bigger insurance companies, but turned it down to go to a swingers party on that Saturday. You think motorcyclist are wacky folks- Swingers make us look like Nuns.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I have summer gloves and insulated gloves for cold weather. What I'd really like is a set of hand guards, but they don't make them for sportbikes; I don't want heated grips, I just want something to block the wind. While I'm talking about wishful thinking, it'd be nice if I could get some windshield wipers for my helmet (that glove finger wiper thingie really doesn't cut it) :)

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,719 Posts
I wear my Lee Parks Deerskins as long as I can, then switch to Triumph goretex Explorer gloves, they work for anything I'm liable to ride in. When it gets too wet or cold out I slip into my Ford Explorer and grab a latte` while I drive around texting everyone.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Step 1: Buy a BMW, signing on the line is so much easier than adding heated grips to your bike.

Step 2: plug in your Kanetsu Heated Jacket to the new BMW's accessory port, of course threading the power cable out the hand warmer pocket on your Roadcrafter.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Yup Gerbings Classics feel funky and loose. My Ice Breakers feel to bulky and take away too much feel. I'm spoiled by my Held Steve gloves. So the options are stop riding or plug in. I plug in.

ps I don't have them so I don't know but I don't understand how heated grips can keep the top of your hands warm.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
I wear my Lee Parks Deerskins as long as I can, then switch to Triumph goretex Explorer gloves, they work for anything I'm liable to ride in. When it gets too wet or cold out I slip into my Ford Explorer and grab a latte` while I drive around texting everyone.
Arent the Lee Parks gloves the best thing on the planet? I have the unlined version and wont buy anything else for warm weather, been looking at the thermo lined pair for an inbetween glove though. While singing the praises to my buddy at last years IMS he bought the lined version and hasnt looked back. Tried a few of the look a likes but nothing compares so far.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,719 Posts
Arent the Lee Parks gloves the best thing on the planet? I have the unlined version and wont buy anything else for warm weather, been looking at the thermo lined pair for an inbetween glove though. While singing the praises to my buddy at last years IMS he bought the lined version and hasnt looked back. Tried a few of the look a likes but nothing compares so far.
I love mine, I wear them till it's durn cold! I have a pair of the hi-end lined Elk skin ones but they're not as comfortable as I'd hoped. Mainly because where the fingers join the palm they're stitched straight across instead of angled like your hand.. Also, if it's cold enough for them, it's probably wet too so I wear the Triumph goretex ones instead. Your hand may be different but I'd bear it in mind at least, it's hard to get a comfortable grip for me the way they're cut. Quality wise they're top notch!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.