Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
I just found out about this hours ago, and at this point, know nothing more than you about the details of what happened. I do know quite a bit, however about Christian Neuhauser the man, because he was not just my boss...he was my friend.

Christian was a true "rider". He was not about tech specs, or lap times, or posing, he was about the magic of the ride. He was about what hapens when a man and his machine meet a fantastic road and a beatific terrior and the profound emotions, revelations, and fascinations that go along with those sacred moments. He was moved enough to start a magazine paying tribute to "the ride", and he was utterly exacting in his pursuit of the distillation of its essence.

Christian was a force of nature, with more energy than a man half his age, and certainly more than I could keep up with! He would ride me into the ground, drink me under the table, and then wake me up in the morning, banging on my door to drag me out for more.

He loved his wife and his two sons, and he wouldn't have wanted to die any other way than on a motorcycle. Just not so soon.

In the recent past, we in the motojournalism community have suffered some very near misses. Arthur Coldwells and Jeff Buchanan of Robb Report Motorcycling, Mel Moore of Kawasaki, even Sean and Dale Alexander as well as myself have traded in 9th lives we didn't know we had. Nonetheless, until we lose a comrade like Christian, it doesn't wholly set in what it is that we are risking in order to pursue our passion.

Be safe all of you. Go forth, have a great ride today, and think kindly of Christian as you do, for I am certain that he will be thinking of, and watching over, all of you.

Your friend,

Eric Bass

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
What a terrible thing to hear on a sunny Monday morning. I've subscribed to RoadRunner since about the 3rd or 4th issue. We delighted in the "germanish" prose, beautiful photography, useful maps and on and on.

I hope that Christian's family, friends and business associates will pull together now and continue to make RoadRunner an ongoing success. What better way to honor him?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Likewise, as a subscriber to Roadrunner, I will miss Christian. I always looked forward to receiving the latest issue in large part due to the enthusiastic writing on Christian's part. His love of motorcycling in all its forms (the scooter section is always fun) was up front and unabashed.

He will be sorely missed. My deepest sympathies to Christa, Florian and Manuel. Does anyone know is anything is being done in the way of contributions for the family?

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
I really hate to hear these stories. We aren't guaranteed any amount of time in life. I never take that for granted. My condolences to his family and friends. I too read ROADRUNNER, and only knew Christian through his words and pictures. Just like when Greg McQuide died, I felt like a lost a comrade.

·
Registered
334 Posts
A few more details

I just spoke with Chris Myers, who is RoadRUNNER's Editor and based in NC. He went down to the accident site and gave me a description of what he saw. According to Chris, there is a tight, downhill, right-turning cloverleaf that leads to a 4-lane business district thoroughfare with a very short accelleration ramp of just a couple hundred feet. According to Chris, the skidmarks from the Ural sidecar begin on the cloverleaf and the impact took place in the left lane, before the acceleration ramp even ends. Basically, it looks like Christian lost control of the sidecar and shot in front of the truck. Whether it was due to technical malfunction, rider error, or obstacle avoidance, we may never know and certainly don't at this point, but I'm just passing on what I've heard to those of you who, like me, are searching for answers.

·
Registered
91 Posts
This is a very sad day. I saw Christian a month ago at Americade, and before that the prior year when he and Brian Rathjen (Backroads magazine) gave a seminar together. I bought an issue of Road Runner only last week when on a family vacation back up to Lake George. Christian will be sorely missed by everyone in who has a motorcycle, and has read his words or met him, or even listened to him speak. I am truly saddened by this. For those that never heard him speak, he had a truepassion for motorcycling, and his insights were unique. My heartfelt condolences to his family.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What a loss

I've only been subscribing to Roadrunner for the past three issues, but thoroughly enjoyed them all, especially Christian's writing. As a middle aged rider myself, I felt sort of camaraderie with him and identified with his writing and descriptions. He will be missed, even by those who did not know him.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Oh man... news like this is never easy to take. I had the opportunity to briefly meet Christian at the International Motorcycle Show in Chicago. I have been reading RoadRunner magazine for a few years now. It is an incredible magazine - nothing else like it really - certainly born from a man with incredible vision and passion for this sport. He will definitely be missed. My heart goes out to his wife and his children. Godspeed...

Darin in KC

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm so sorry. I just met Christa 2 weeks ago in Knoxville, TN, at the Hoot. I picked up a couple of their magazines. Even though I subscribe to 4 moto mags (not including MO), it was easy to see that RoadRUNNER was unique. I'm looking forward to riding several of the recommended tours.

I want us all to be able to ride safely, savoring the beauty of the ride and the machines in action, for years and years.

I will spend time today praying for Christian's family and friends, that God will give them strength, and hold them close in their grief.

I appreciate each of you MOrons as well. Truly. I hope I can extend more kindness, patience, and grace to those around me. The world already has enough cool, tough, and clever.

Be well my friends.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was introduced to RoadRunner as part of a bonus Chistian was providing to MSF instructors, and I had the good fortune of meeting him at the CycleWorld show in Washington DC in January of 2004. He was a very impressive person, full of energy and he had a true passion for motorcycling. I only spoke to him that one time, but he treated me like a long-time friend. He was a first-class person and we will all miss him. Christian and his family are in our prayers.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Under these circumstances words, written or spoken, are sorely lacking in what we as a community would like to present to the family of Mr. Neuhauser. My respect, condolences and deepest sympathy go to them.

A.V.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.