Going to Daytona?

9K views 37 replies 27 participants last post by  mscuddy 
#1 ·
Yahoo0...first post

Bike week yawn,.........

poo

#2 ·
First post!

Boy, it sounds like Daytona will be a real fun place to be. The mayor, (A woman) must be on on drugs if she thinks that they can enforce these regulations.

And, if they do make a hard push to enforce these laws, it will kill Daytona as a party place, which would be fine with me, as I hate getting screwed by the speedway Ramada for $ 225 a night hotel rooms that suck.

The entire town of Daytona takes advantage of all the bikers, and now they want to stifle it.

Good luck to those idiots.

#4 ·
Im not sure this qualifies as "stifling". No public nudity and no alcohol consumption outside within 100 ft of road doesnt seem to be a real party killer. The throttle blipping rule seems to be a little vague. Im assuming this will be selectively enforced(e.g.:theyll probably let you alone on your Muffled GSX600 but pop the guy on the unmuffled HD). Anyway the hot tip for enjoying bike week is avoid Daytona Beach proper anyway. After my vintage races in Gainesvilleand my visit to the Speedway for the Monday Vintage Roadraces I make one obligatory Daytime trip to Main Street(for old times sake) and Beach Street Other than that I avoid Downtown daytona....theres plenty things to do and see on the outskirts where the police are less prevalent and more friendly. And oh yeah,its much quieter and cheaper to stay at Deland(about 20 minutes from the speedway.

#6 ·
We used to go to Daytona every year, and it was fun for awhile. Soon we realized there wasn't much besides the racing for us, ie: there wasn't much RIDING going on. Posing, yes, and lots of that. Most bikers there don't even KNOW there's motorcycle racing happening!

Now, we go places where there's RIDING, and plenty of it! Go figure...

#7 ·
Well as someone who's been attending Daytona on and off for 20 years now I have noticed a trend towards less public nudity. A buddy of mine has a band that plays the Bank every year and he mentioned that last year any girl caught flashing on Main street was quickly whisked away by the cops. They may make effforts about driinking in the hotel the parking lots but it won't last more than a few token arrests.

The whole event has really gotten stale in the last decade. I only really attend the vintage stuff at the track and in Deland and then avoid the entire OCC/Bikerbuild Off experience that Main street has become. With the imported Hooters bartenders who charge $$ to have their videos or pictures taken and send bouncers after you if they catch you sneaking one. I kid you not. I've seen it many times over the years and know a few of the girls who go there to work. It's really an awful display of folks who bleed $$ so they can have an "authentic" cool experience.... AKA $uckers.

#8 ·
Bollocks!

What a load of bollocks. It's all about milking more cash from the dumb saps that bikers have become, those rules have sod all to do with safety and everything to do with filling the cities cofers.

I'll never darken Daytona's roads again, it was fun 15 years ago, but with every year that passes Rubs, Cops and city regulations make it less so, it's just a bloated, exploited cash cow for central Florida now.

I say if you want to get together and ride with a bunch of "Bro's" wait 'till the March of Dimes ride comes around, you'll have more fun and God knows your money wil be more appreciated.

#10 ·
Rallies are getting too expensive and it's the same old same old anyway. I'd rather plan a great ride not associated with any rally and with the money saved buy some great riding gear. I know guys who spend 2000 a year going to rallies. They got the wife, the kids , the trailer, the car. Doesn't sound like a vacation to me. Rally rats.

#12 ·
The last time I went (I think it was Russells last win) I saw a guy unloading his bike from a trailer, with Orlando plates on it. My god, 50 miles is to far to ride, or there wasn't enough beer stops on the way. Either way that image put Bike week into serious perspective for me.The whole Daytona Experience on bike week just doesn't do it for me anymore. 20 years ago a blast, 15 years quite fun, but not so much anymore.

The races and demo rides was all I got into. I can spend money anywhere to get drunk.

With the formula honda class running the actual 200 I have less reason to go.

#16 ·
I've only been to afew planed events (not counting bike week). Some where better than others, but it was mostly bad vendors, lame day trips, and setting around drinking.

There was the Rider ralley in great gorge NJ, they had a day trip into little Italy in NYC. Great food. I enjoyed my 1000 mi trip to and from the ralley better, I picked the roads.

#19 ·
I've been to one Bike Week (for a reason - we had a bike entered in the RHCS) and two Biketoberfests. I'm WAY over it.

I do miss the BBQ Turkey Legs, though.

Now I get my poser, RUB and squid fix twice a year right here at home at the ThunderBeach "rallies". The springtime one, coinciding with Spring Break, is really something to witness.

#22 ·
I'll go and watch the races. Saturday night on the sidewalk across from the Boothill is a rare show and good fun with the right Bud's. The girls were still showin' but have to be sneaky, does that make it better? The Cops that I ran into were alright (last year). I keep hoping that the Kwacker will break down someday so that I too can have to take a bike to Daytona on a trailer/back of pickemup but no luck, guess I'll have to ride it ;-).

#23 ·
Been to Daytona, it's all straight-flat-roadsville & riding there is boring as hell & ya can't get a decent meal in the whole freaking state. No wonder so many of them Floridians look so damn old, it's all that fried food they eat.

This year I'm stayin close to home, riding to Laguna Seca, good roads, good eats & MotoGP, aka "the big show"

P.S. The right way to do Laguna Seca is to get a group of riders together and rent a big vacation house in Carmel or Pacific Grove, someplace with a decent kitchen & a hot tub & pool.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.