Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
You will never see unequivocal endorsement of motorcycles by the main-stream press. Even though bikes are environmentally friendly, cheaper for the masses, cause damage only to the rider in many crashes and have far less potential to cause property damage in the event of an unplanned off-road excursion, they have a some offsetting qualities that people these days are uncomfortable endorsing.

They are difficult to regulate, they are by their nature dependent upon the skill of the rider, and there is no opportunity for meaningful passive / regulatory safety restrictions or requirements. That is, the "it was someone else's fault" element basically has nothing to talk about with bikes.

Also, they tend to be misunderstood and "scary" to the uninitiated, which always results in hysteria by people unwilling to examine an issue in all its grisly details.

cdg

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
"Do something every day that scares you a little.' "

Great quote! I also like my Harley Riding Doctor's plaque "You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist’s office"

Although I have a disease, diabetes, it is not as face paced as cancer etc, and can be controlled to a degree. Diabetics still die sooner etc... But the article hit home we she mentioned 2 of her friends died cause of cancer not riding...i.e. live for moment. You can feel sorry for yourself or you can go riding.. I should go riding right now...

Good article jdsmith thanks for sharing it with us.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Chief Dirtbag in charge of riding down high school hallway dope smoking getting tickets riding thru yards in scraggly apparel on clapped-out ujms badly jetted with rusted out pipes, etc.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Yep you were type of dude I politiely said hello to as I passed the blue haze of cigarette smoke on the way to the library. You would say hi back if noone was else around... Mr Geek, third string jock, voted Most Responsible I was. I secretly wanted to be you (cause you got the "interesting" girls) but my boy scout training got in the way.. :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
this could ruin my image my drunk as neighbor lady says I am the sexiest thing around when I get out my viffer. Of course it's on a saturday morning when I am going out and she is coming in. Can you say "beer Googles" I will never admit this story existed.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yeah, well did anybody catch Inside Edition last night??

Same old crap. Telling the public that stunt guys do wheelies at 200+MPH and trying to create fear. I can't stand these stunt squids because they give the rest of us a really bad name.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I like the statistic that it is 25 times more dangerous to ride than to drive. For whom?

The most likley demographic to be involved in a collision, bike or car, is from 16-20 something. Within this demographic, the fatality figures are enormously in favour of the drivers and we all know why. Five grand buys an older used Civic if you are a driver. That same 5 grand buys you a late model 600cc sportbike with performance well beyond the capabilities of the typical teenage rider. If the typical teenage driver could afford a 150 mph car, then the statistics would be a more apt comparison.

Take that demographic group out, though, and riders are considerably closer to drivers with regards to their own personal safety. They are actually MORE safe with regards to other people on the road and overall property damage.

Nothing peeves me more than seeing that teenage biker cliche: t-shirt, shorts, running shoes and a helmet, driving aggressively through traffic on his superbike and blowing past me doing well over the speed limit. It is more than 25 times more dangerous for that idiot to be on a bike, though it is considerably less dangerous for someone like me. Interesting that we all pay the hiked insurance rates, though.

·
Registered
323 Posts
That would be pretty short.

O'Reilly: What do you have to say in defense of your demon-inspired hobby of motorcycler riding? How do you justify all the young lives lost on America's highways?

Panelist: Well, Bill, it really isn't that (mike is cut)

O'Reilly: Shut up!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.