Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sorry to hear of his passing. My condolences go out to all who knew him. As a subscriber to Motorcyclist I will miss his columns. His technical knowledge regarding motorcycling was unmatched!

·
Registered
8 Posts
What a tragic loss for the motorcycling community. I loved Mr. Jennings' articles in Motorcyclist. I even used some of his data in a research paper I wrote a couple years back. I hope the roads are twisty and the sun is shining where he is now.

-Paul

·
Registered
67 Posts
Damn shame, that, I (any many others) will miss Mr. Jennings' writing. Being a real gear-head, I have long enjoyed his editorial material and contributions to the magazines he worked for. At least we had him as long as we did, anyway - I wish my father got to live to 69, he was another victim of cancer at the age of 54.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well, I can see them now. On a cloud somewhere over the Great Basin. Chuck Clayton, Floyd Clymer.....and the new kid, Greg McQuide welcoming Gordon to the neighborhood. Meanwhile, on a nearby cirrus is Harvey Mushman and the rest of the riders who've gone before us. Gentlemen and Ladies, we salute you. You are missed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My sincere condolences to Gordon Jennings family. I remember reading Cycle as a kid of 19 buying my first motorcycle in 1973, I was surprised to see him doing what he loved when I got back into motorcycles recently and saw his work in Motorcyclist. Heroes keep disappearing.

Ride on Gordon.

Sincerley,

Chip C.

·
Registered
12 Posts
And as a reminder to you youngsters, Parkhurst and Jennings revolutionized motorcycle journalism when the two of them were the entire show at "Cycle World" in the early 1960's. Gordon did many things superbly well, and he will never be replaced.

In this time of loss to the entire motorcycling community, I think it's also appropriate to pass along a thought in a lighter vein. Gordon did many things as an editor and writer, but he was also the inspiration to make at least one other journalist write one of the all-time inspired headlines ABOUT Gordon Jennings.

In the mid 1960's Jennings put all of his spare time and most of his spare cash into developing home-brew race bikes. It's to his all time credit that he went the way of a typical reader, trying to do it himself on a shoe string (not getting factory support, as he could have done with his press connections). One partial exception was when he got a temporary loan of one of **** O'Brien's Harley race engines, which he put into a pretty much home brew frame, along with a home brew striped fairing.

Whether Harley or the Japanese, the engine builders of that era were 'way out in front of the tire makers. Gordon had his hands full keeping that monster - with all of its 70 or so horsepower - on the track. Many folks in southern California, including me, wondered how Gordon would make out in the various road races. One weekend, Gordon was taking the Harley out on a significant race, at Willow Springs or Riverside (I can't recall which, and it doesn't matter) which I wasn't able to attend. The following week I picked up the local motorcycle weekly newspaper to see what had happened. The headline said it all:

JENNINGS UNLOADS

Best summary in a two word headline I've ever seen. Thanks for the memories, Gordon.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sad does not begin to sum up my feelings. I called once to the office of Cycle Magazine to ask some (dumb) questions about flopping the calipers on sohc 750 Hondas, and he took the time to give me intelligent answers. He was my technological Guru, and I was somewhat daunted speaking to him. I expected the sarcastic wit he reserved for idiotic letters to the editor. Instead, I got valuable information.

I literally treasured his technical articles, and his political erudition. My greatest sympathy goes goes out to his family and to his co-staffers at Motorcyclist. I reserve a measure of sympathy for myself, as I've lost a mighty mentor whom I never met. God speed, Gordon.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Kaddish for Gordon...

But, man! Did that piss me off! Every time his column attacked enviro-nazis, or safety-nazis, or whatever nazi-du jour he was attacking, I would want to reach into the magazine and strangle him!

But what made me mad was that the guy KNEW WHAT HE WAS TALKING ABOUT, KNEW HOW TO WRITE, AND WAS A PERSUASIVE ARGUER! I hated his smug, "I did research, so I'm right and you're wrong" attitude, but he did change my views on electric cars and other issues.

As much as I couldn't stand him, I would read him every month, in Motorcyclist and whatever car magazine he was in. Cameron? Man, that guy can be like reading a DOS manual.

I will really miss him. He was what journalism should be about- knowing your , presenting the facts, and slanting things the way you think they sould slant.

I will miss him.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It would be difficult to add to what has already been written about this man. I feel very sad, having to say farewell to one of my favorite writers. Godspeed Gordon.

Mark Roberts

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's been a tough year for the sport with the loss of so many faces in the motorcycle world. The year 2000 has seen several great competitors die participating in the sport they loved, and we've lost a couple of great journalists. It seems Motorcyclist has been dealt a double blow this year. Mr. Jennings will be greatly missed. I have read his work since I was a teenager, and I've always enjoyed his style and wit. He managed to say what needed to be said and backed it up with facts. His outspoken opinions have been proven correct time after time. His voice is silent and our sport has lost one of its great champions.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yeah, I remember Ed Hertfelder - "the Duct Tapes"

OK Who remembers Mike Shuter - Downhill Straight"?

"Cycle" and "Dirt Bike" were the two mags I used to get (the sublime and the ridiculous, if you like)

I was saddened when I picked up the final edition of Cycle, but not as saddened as when I read of JG's passing (in "Two Wheels" this month). Reading that caused me to search online, which is how I discovered th MO.

(by the way, did they ever finish the Killer Sportster?)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.