·
Registered
11,488 Posts
Re: Hum...

Over here as well.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Yep, he stunned them all. Moates was on a Yamaha, right?

Hmm, the big five-oh is right around the corner for me too. And I'll be 51 when this last ticket clears off my record, sould I live that long.

Maybe he's roosting Wyman Purdy somewhere up on cloud 9. Godspeed Marty.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Not to take anything away from Marty Moates, but...

I guess Marty Tripes who won the 250 class in 1978 doesn't count?

The Flying Burrito, as he was called in those days before political correctness, trained with Joel Robert in Europe, did well over there, and yes, won the U.S. Grand Prix of Motocross in 1978. Many, including Bob Hannah, consider the big man the most gifted American rider ever.

Unfortunately, his refusal to play the political game (Honda doesn't appreciate when you put your team logo over the Honda logo on the tank even when you win the moto) and his inability to control his appetite made his career all too short.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Lets recall that Moates' big win came at a time when it was suspect if Americans could consistently win at Motocross OR Road Racing on the world stage.

Moates broke the barrier on the dirt, Cal & Kenny on the asphalt.

What a sad end. Why hasn't the bike racing community come up with a more systematic way of financially assisting former racers who have serious health issues arising from their glory years. Wins on Sunday, Sells on Monday! MIC, where ARE you???

·
Snuggles
4,369 Posts
Re: Hum...

Odd, I read his post diferently. I read it as that he was pointing out that no one was posting because everyone else was so one dimentional and lacked a sense of history.

I guess you might be right, reading it again, that he didn't care. Though, gbrummett, usually isn't usually like that, so I don't know.

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
Don't start please that again BuzzyBoy.

God I hope you're not gonna start your idiot like "there is no global warming" argument. That's as dumb as seruazawa's cruiser can stop faster or velocity is not important in calculating the energy in a crash rant. Or longrides justification for the Iraq war. Hey longride I think you are the only stubborn jerk left in America that thinks the Iraq war was a great thing... Of course in 2 months you will deny that and deny voting for W.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.