Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
sounds like a creep to me

... or as Deuce Bigalow would say a man-ho. What self-respecting guy has to be paid to get married, and what kind of biker doesn't have his own bike ? He's a loser.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Re: Groom says,

The late, great Lewis Grizzard once said: " the next time I feel the urge to get married, I'm going to find a woman I don't like and buy her a house".

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Re: My uncle...

..Preshmet Singh who lived in Guahti (northeastern India) had the same thing happen to him. His dowry included seven 35 litre barrels of home brewed beer that his father in-law (to be) brewed for just this reason.

The night before the wedding party my uncle's father-in-law stored the barrels of beer in my uncle Preshmet's garage. This was a very strong beer and cast quite an aroma over the the surrounding area. The smell caught the attention of several elephants which were "going moose" at that time of year and were quite petulant about getting at the beer. Whe tried to shoo them away with boards and poles but this made them angry and want the beer even more.

Since the elephants were in moose they were not very stable anyway.

So anyway where was I? Oh yes, the elephants trampled my uncle's village and the villagers banished my uncle and all his relatives to Fiji and he never got his Indian Enfield 350. Quite a sad story actually.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Re: sounds like a creep to me

It's an arcane custom. Once a girl reaches puberty, she becomes a liability since she can become pregnant, but she (allegedly) can't do the work a man can.

The more attractive the bride, the less the dowry.

The more wealthy or prominent the bride's family, the more the dowry -- a matter of prestige.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Re: Groom says,

I think the illegal part in this case is that the guy accepted all the other money and gifts that the girl's family gave him, and then ran off. From the article it even sounds as if there are laws in India specifically dealing with the crime of conning a woman's family out of a dowry.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.