Motorcycle Forums banner

GSX-R1000 Dyno Run!

33K views 82 replies 42 participants last post by  B-BAG 
#1 ·
Yeehaw first

What a beast, new king has arrived.

#28 ·
Re: I love computers!!

Just one more person that never used a Mac - AND has a lot to say about them. I use Macs AND PCs and the Mac is a far more stable and easy to use platform. Macusers use their machines more and work on them less. 'Macintosh for productivity, Linux for development, Windows for Solitaire.'

As far as the noise being made over a few horsepower, most riders can't use more than about half the capabilities of these machines. I've kept up with some of the mid-nineties versions of these same bikes you guys are arguing about through the twisties on a K1100LT BMW. Somebody that knows how to ride while riding a 5 year old bike can embarass a squid on a newer, more powerful bike. And this can be done without passing, just stay right on their butt no matter what they do

The squids that are going to ragdoll into a ditch are easily picked out of these letters by their ignorance. Some people think it's evolution, I think it's ignorance.

#31 ·
The GSX-R1000 is a streetbike ONLY in the loosest sense of the word. Comfortable? No. Practical? No. Super-duper-effing fast acceleration above 100mph? Yes. That doesn't spell streetbike in my vocabulary.

A REAL streetbike is something like a Nighthawk, ZR-7, SV650, or R1100R. Any of those can still go fast enough to get your license revoked with a single ticket--the street is in the real world, remember?

#32 ·
First, if the Donner party had 145 hp, they would have killed themselves because they rode a GSX-R through a snowy forest with no roads.

Second, the power loss on my bike was slight. I normally live at 6000 ft, and most of my riding is from 6000ft-9000ft (I love Colorado!). Even at 12,000, I could easily go as fast as the rainy, freezing, almost-snowing conditions would make me want to go.

And if you choose a unique, less-travelled path through the mountains, you'll never come across more than one motor-home at a time. And even with 35 hp, I could still get up enough speed to safely pass them.

Starving Student

#35 ·
Guess what guys and girls?

A little birdy tells me that the boys at Motorcyclist will still be picking the Honda 929 as they have finished the testing between them all.

Apparently the suspension is soft and the Honda is the quicker turning machine.

I do not trust this machine at all !!!!!!!!!!!!! How long before she blows ??????

suzukis-suck

#36 ·
Nothing personal, but at 12,600 ft, I'm sure your 35 hp shadow was crawling far slower than it normally does. I would guess you were making only about 20 hp at that altitude. Those of us that buy open class machines do so because we don't like to crawl. Btw, I lived in boulder from '75 to '80, and so am familiar with the hp drain that comes with altitude. The best thing aboput this newer GSXR is that with fuel injection compensating for altitude, it won't be stumbling like my old '83 GS1100 (jetted for SoCal's low desert) at that altitude.

#38 ·
Re: Yeehaw first

Torque and horse power are not related, proportionally or otherwise.

My HD makes far less horse power 70. Although it doesn't make a lot more torque it does make more 80ftLbs. I can scan the dyno run if you don't believe me. Just send me a mail and I'll do it for you. (Yes you are that special)

3K red line, I love it :) LMAO close, but when I get my diesel HD maybe. :)

#41 ·
GSXR 1000 Camper?

As it was, they ate themselves anyway.

I'm sure most people aren't buying the GSXR1000 to hang bags on it and drive over the mountains. They buy it to go fast. Maybe you've never ridden an open-class bike, and maybe you have and you're jealous. Whatever the case, your logic leaves something to be desired.

#42 ·
Well, I'm not *really* upset---

I love having my less-than-one-year-old R1 outdated in one fell swoop. This means that I have even better things to look forward to when I get rid of it. I'm already pondering the possiblility of a GSXR, although I'm sure I won't find one anymore. Maybe I'll wait unitl next year.

#43 ·
Re: GSXR 1000 Camper?

I _have_ ridden an open bike, and no, I didn't think it was that fun. It's not my cup of tea. If it is yours, more power to you (literally). But I still strongly disagree with the person who asserted that you need the big Gixxer's power to get over mountains. The only bikes I saw on the trip over the continental divide were my Shadow 600, my father's W650, a pack of Yamaha cruisers, a pack of Honda Honda cruisers, and a few Harleys. Two guys were even taking knuckleheads over the mountains. But where were all the superbikes? I must have missed them, they were going so fast.

You're right. Openbikes are about going fast, not taking scenic (rational speed) journeys through mountain canyons. And that's why I don't buy one.

"Maybe you've never ridden an open-class bike, and maybe you have and you're jealous. Whatever the case, your logic leaves something to be desired." Wow. Getting defensive there, Abe?

#45 ·
It's not the sheer numbers that make this an impressive bike. It's how it's all put together as a package. I partially agree with you, I own a '93 FZR1000 w/mild engine and Chassis mods. I run into alot of squids w/ R1's who think they're the Sh*t because of what they ride. They think twice after I pass them because they tried being Mr. Pro, running it in too deep and screwing up their apex approach. For these idiots, the newest and best bike won't help, they still won't be able to ride! But, in capable hands, the newest and best would be pure bliss. I want one!

#46 ·
Read it again...this time for context. The word I used is reliability, not reality. You know, as in reliable. Do you actually read any of this stuff before you post ? That was what the first poster questioned..the RELIABILITY of suzuki products. geez !! I'm glad you always use the bedroom for sex with your wife....how original. You must be quite the thrill monger...can't read and no imagination...Bless

#48 ·
Re: I love computers!!

If I wanted to read about computers I would have logged on to a computer site(you're getting way off the topic at hand). It sounds to me like you're admitting that you can't handle the extra power that's being put out by todays bikes. Hey I own an older machine too('93 FZR1000). You don't hear me whining: 'Who needs all that power anyway'? The simple fact here is that the bike does not make the rider, everybody already knows this, why are you still whining about it? Point at hand; If you can keep up with a guy on an R1 or CBR929 with a K1100LT, They Suck! There is a reason BMW is not in SuperBike competition(wrong niche).

#49 ·
Coolest? You gotta be kiddin' me!

Suzukis certainly are *something*, but "coolest" is not what they are. Three of my four bikes have been Suzukis; both bikes I now own are Suzukis. In my experience, they are relatively robust, strong performing, cost effective bikes.

They are also even uglier than Fords, if that's possible, and about 50 percent of their parts are made from compressed cheese. Suzuki's "stylists" (I use the term broadly) should probably be dragged out back and shot before they can cause any more harm to human aesthetics. Or at least returned to Ford. I suppose it's worth noting that the latest GSXRs are not up to the high standard of ghastliness usually upheld by their predecessors. But those decals! Ecch!

I have no particular affinity for the stylings of their direct competitors, either, but at least the other guys lean towards boring instead of putrid.

They even sound dreadful. With all my Suzukis, I had to get used to the idea that they just sounded like that and there was really nothing wrong.

I guess that they qualify as cool in a Mopar-musclecar sort of way-- crappily made, well-beaten with the ugly stick, raucous and fast.

Since you seem to think that GSXRs are coolest, I have to venture a guess that you wear a cap with the bill turned towards the back and that you own no shoes that would ever require polishing.

#50 ·
I'm glad you and your spouse are happy with a CBR. I'm glad that your command of the English language is so good (e.g. realiblity, undoubtly, a count) try undoubtedly, account and reliability. Try spellcheck sometime. Try talking to a dealer that sells Yamaha's and ask them about recalls so that I don't have to educate you. Heard about the 929rr recall yet for the gas lines ? It's a Honda so I would assume you would. I don't know about magazines out the ass since it seems your head is shoved so far up there that nothing else could fit. I'm glad you think Suzuki sucks so that way you won't be buying one (as if) and that leaves me the chance to get another one. Nuff said ? Read some of the other posts' in here and you'll actually see what people are saying and that should get your attention off of ragging on me for posting a comment about reliability problems on Suzuki's. Besides, you must be sleeping when you read them anyway due to the fact that you misquoted me twice. Now go away little boy because if I needed anymore out of you I could squeeze your head for it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.