Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Re: Motorcycles That Drive Themselves

This paragraph was of interest:

"Forty-year-old Carla Bickleman of the Reading area was killed when her husband's motorcycle went out of control after hitting the oil."

It's obvious from this paragraph that the motorcycle is partly to blame, since it "went out of control" (i.e., lost control of itself).

Vehicles that "go out of control" or lose control of themselves seem to be a factor in a significant number of crashes.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I expected it to be leaking from his Harley - not his car. How much oil can a car leak and continue driving - and as the MoFo asked above - How did they know his vehicle was to blame? I don't see this being any different than the trash truck laying down slick unknow fluid or hydralic leak from the truck. Those guys don't report that stuff. I was impressed to see that the guy is taking responsibility for his actions - or lack of them.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Re: Motorcycles That Drive Themselves

That's a pet peeve of mine too. According to the evening news here in Atlanta, cars go out of control or crash themselves all the time, but only riders lose control of their motorcycles.

·
Snuggles
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There is probably another article or two that came before this. Currently living in a small PA town myself, I don't think it's a conspiracy or anything as Bloomsburg has about 12000 people in the historic little town.

Most likely there is previous article that further explains what happened.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I was in that situation once...

I dropped a twin-size mattress from my truck onto the freeway once.

I pulled over, ran back flailing my arms around trying to let oncoming drivers know there's danger ahead. Thank God there were attentive enough drivers that slowed down enough to let me run out and grab it. And thank God nobody behind them just rammed into them, either.

I'm not sure many people would report dropping 3-5 quarts of oil onto the freeway. However, a country road? Hmm, go to the side, dig up some dirt, and throw it over the oil slick.

·
Registered
306 Posts
pretty far

You figure most of the oil is swimming around in the engine block while the car is running...and only when it's done making its rounds does it go back into the oil pan, only to be picked up again for another round. The engine might not starve for a mile or so after the pan is completely empty, and even after that, it'll just start to slow down and lose power from overheating and grinding on dried up crank bearings and journals, finally giving up--so give it another 1/2 mile for that.

Don't ask me how I know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
There must be more to this story than is in this press article. I went down 2 months ago due to large oil spill on a roundabout. I put in the ***** happens category. How much oil is there at traffic lights, toll plazas, dips in the road that shake oil off etc. These become just as hazadous as on large spill, with now blame or responsibilty taken. That said I wish that would charge more of theses snoozers who don't secure their load and leave a trail of hazards behind them.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Once while driving my gage, I saw the pickup in front of me start up from the traffic light and deposit the lawn mower on the road in front (but not directly in my path) of me. I never ride or stop behind a pickup/truck that has anything onboard that could come loose.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Oil, trash, tree's or other items. It's unfortunate a fatility came out of this but we ask ourselves, was speed a factor?,was the rider unattentive to his enviironent,or in another mind set when this took place? everyone likes to joke about whether a harley dripped the oil and so-on so-forth, not a matter at this point.

We should all have solace for any rider that goes down, be it the hooligan's or the cruiser/tourer set.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.