Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
I was in that situation once...

I dropped a twin-size mattress from my truck onto the freeway once.

I pulled over, ran back flailing my arms around trying to let oncoming drivers know there's danger ahead. Thank God there were attentive enough drivers that slowed down enough to let me run out and grab it. And thank God nobody behind them just rammed into them, either.

I'm not sure many people would report dropping 3-5 quarts of oil onto the freeway. However, a country road? Hmm, go to the side, dig up some dirt, and throw it over the oil slick.

·
Registered
306 Posts
pretty far

You figure most of the oil is swimming around in the engine block while the car is running...and only when it's done making its rounds does it go back into the oil pan, only to be picked up again for another round. The engine might not starve for a mile or so after the pan is completely empty, and even after that, it'll just start to slow down and lose power from overheating and grinding on dried up crank bearings and journals, finally giving up--so give it another 1/2 mile for that.

Don't ask me how I know.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.