Motorcycle Forums banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Re: pretty far

Ya I just found it interesting - the article mentioned nothing about his car being dead down the road. Maybe there was another article prior to this one that clued in on some of the unknown from this article.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I lost an oil line on my motorcycle and oiled down the bike, me and the road...and crashed (low speed, thank the gods of motorcycling). The #1 thing I did was to call the 911 to get the oil cleaned up before some one else went down - seems like what anyone would do...

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm going around a blind curve- one I've ridden through many times but this time there is a ______ (reader fill it in with what you want) in the middle of the road. I am going a little too fast-maybe not as attentive as I should be -- and I go down.

Seems like I have myself mostly to blame.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I ride almost every day to work, March 15 - November 15. I also ride for fun on the weekends.

I do what I can to reduce the risks of riding. However, I recognize that I may die in spite of those precautions. Riding is intrinsically more dangerous than driving a car.

Based on the information in the story, it sounds like the motorcyclist died in part due to the negligence of the defendant. However, there was also a very strong element of bad luck. I'm not sure I would be comfortable sending a man to prison based just on what I read.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Quote "t's obvious from this paragraph that the motorcycle is partly to blame, since it "went out of control" (i.e., lost control of itself)." .... If you drive on the highway and suddenly you lose control because a section of that same highway has been flooded (after a big curve let's say) is it your fault !!!!

I was riding my bike and the oil filter leaked after an oil change ; the mechanic forgot to take out the old seal so it spilled under the bike. Let's say i had lost control; would have it been my fault; Get smart.

·
Registered
352 Posts
say a mechnic rebuilt your engine but left a bearing retainer out and you were out riding on a twist road at 45 mph which was the speedlimit, and the engine sezed while your going around a turn causing the rear wheel to lock sliding you off the road and down the mountain side.

Is that your fault?

·
Registered
530 Posts
Hmm, I'm torn on the severity of the sentence. 5 years is excessive for this case IMHO. I'm sad at the outcome, and I'd certainly sentence and fine him, but s**t happens. He was a negligent S.O.B. but didn't actually pull a trigger or commit a hit-n-run. Personally, unless it was intentionally malicious -- yes people do this intentionally to mess with riders -- I think this is more a case of ignorant stupidity, since he may not have considered a motorcyclist would be at risk (so many drivers don't even think about us 2-wheelers).

Case in point: I see construction pipes, wood, rocks, etc. -- left presumably by construction vehicles -- yet don't think they'd be held to such severe sentencing, despite the fact they'd do in a rider just as quickly.

Education to the masses of reporting hazards -- whether you created the hazard or not -- is more important, especially when the man will be living with that guilt for the rest of his life.

My 2 cents on the crazy world of street riding.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have experience with oil slicks and negligence. I was heading down Sonora Pass in the Sierra Nevadas at 40MPH when I spotted a wet looking area ahead in the road-what usually turns out to be heat reflection. In this case it turned out to be the start of a 1/4mi long, 3 ft wide oil spill with a 50ft dropoff on the right-no guardrail-and a blind left turn on the left. I hit the spill on my 2004 FJR ABS with 2 friends following close behind. As my ass end immediately started sliding to the right I applied the brakes. When the ABS kicked in I was able to straighten the bike and come to a controlled stop in about a 2 ft wide strip of dry pavement before the dropoff. One friend saw my 10ft high oil roostertail and went left to avoid it-OK. 2nd friend on his Gold Wing hit the oil-I watched him drop in my mirror. Fortunately he slid left-no oncoming traffic-managed to break a wrist and get a little banged up along with $7000 damage to the GW.

Turns out this "spill" was the result of some supposedly unidentified teenagers emptying an oil drum out the back of a pickup just for the hell of it-wanted to see what would happen! My 1st inclination was to strap them on a bike and let them navigate thru their experiment. As far as I know noone was ever prosecuted or even arrested-local sheriff didn't seem too interested in followup.

By the way-don't ever let anyone tell you that ABS is unnecessary or unwanted. I will NEVER own a bike without it again, and both of my friends have already got new bikes with it.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.